Anyone have RG's with different neck profiles? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Anyone have RG's with different neck profiles?

...specifically an Ultra and a Wizard?

Do you personally find any major difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 07:23 PM

Re: Anyone have RG's with different neck profiles?

My rg 350dx has a different neck than anyother rg i;ve played and it playes awsome
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 07:36 PM

Ive had a 570, a 3120, a JPMP4 and a '92 Jem... theyre all different...

Id say the one i remember being the most confortable would be the 3120 (tho its been a looong time since i played one)... the JPM is awesome, but its somehow too narrow for chords in the 1st 5 frets...

I remember being blown away by the thin 570, but now im in love with the Jem and after playing a 570 the other day in a store, i find it too thin now...
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adagio_777
...specifically an Ultra and a Wizard?

Do you personally find any major difference?
THe Wizard is a very thin neck. Ibanez has thicker profiles like the Ultra. I forge which is which but you'll find the thicker profiles on guitars like the Rg2120x and the RGT 3120 series.

Tonally, thicker necks have more mass and can have a deeper and fuller effect on your tone. I can't say I ever played a super thin neck and was floored by the tone.

Another difference can be stability. A properly built neck will generally be reasonably stable but I have found the thicker necks on my RG2120's and the RGT3120 I used to have to be more stable than the RG570 and Jem BSB and BFP I used to have. My former Jem BSB was definitely the worst sounding guitar I ever owned.

So since we're comparing Ibanez thin necks to Ibanez thick(er) necks , build quality will be similar. And you may find that the ultra neck offers more depth to the guitar's tone. Then again, maybe not.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 11:22 PM

I've 5 different RGs and the necks on 4 of them are completly different.
1. 1998 J-Custom RG 1802 which has the Ultra neck which is deeper then the rest, 3-piece and has the Volute behind the nut rather then the Scarf jointed headstock. I really like this neck it's the biggest neck of any Ibanez RG (excluding 7 strings) I've played but it's still thinner then your standard strat. Satin finish so feels almost like raw wood.
2. 1990 RG USA CUSTOM Which has an original Wizard, Very thin and fast, quite a thick laquer but over all also a very nice neck.
3 1989 RG 570 and 1992 RG 550 I believe these are Wizard necks also. these has necks which are practically identical, cept one is rosewood board and one is maple board, roughly about the same depth as the USA custom but doesn't feel exactly the same, Fairly Typical Ibanez neck that you'll get on 90% of RG's you'll see.
4. 1996 RG 270 This one is my personal favourite size/shape, it's a little fatter then the Wizard so I'm guessing that it's the Wizard II, I've sanded the finish right off the back of this one and It just feels great.
5. I've also got a 1987 540 S which is supposed to has an original wizard but it seems much thinner then both the USA Custom and the 550 and 570, thick laquer.
I think the fatter necks do contribute to a better tone, the J-Custom is the best sounding guitar and the 270 has the best feeling neck and they're the two with the fattest necks.
All these guitars can be seen here http://www.ibanezregister.com/Galler...ip%20joyce.htm
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 11:53 PM

Good point about continuous necks/ volutes. I stay away form 1st/ 2nd fret scarf jonints like the plague.They are a cost cutting method of building a neck. The continuous neck with volute may not sound any better or worse but should normally prove to be much more reliable in the long haul. I look for that feature when I buy an instrument. Either that or the type of 1 piece design yous ee on Suhr, Tyler, Anderson,Vigier , etc.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. Very nice 1802 fleeeep.

My Wizard equiped RG just arrvied and I don't find it very comfortable. I prefer the feel of my RG with an Ultra neck. I'm really bummed out. I suppose it's just a case of getting used to it, but I don't see why I have to compromise when I can just have it replaced with something that is right for me.

Any thoughts?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 01:06 PM

Nice collection, Fleeep! I just recently registered all my guitars at Ibanez register too- great site.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 01:38 PM

Thanks all,
I think the Ultra is the best overall profile for those that don't like a ruler thin neck, it's not too thin and it's not too thick, pretty much perfect!!!
Yes http://www.ibanezregister.com/ is a fantastic site, everyone should register all their Ibanezs there, It's a good way of doucumenting serial numbers etc should God forbid anyones guitar get stolen!!!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adagio_777
Thanks for the replies. Very nice 1802 fleeeep.

My Wizard equiped RG just arrvied and I don't find it very comfortable. I prefer the feel of my RG with an Ultra neck. I'm really bummed out. I suppose it's just a case of getting used to it, but I don't see why I have to compromise when I can just have it replaced with something that is right for me.

Any thoughts?
fancy sharing some pics?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I'll get them done next week sometime. Unfortunately I don't have a digital.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 09:46 PM

I feel a MAJOR difference between my USA Custom Exotic Wood with the original Wizard neck compared to my J-Customs with the J-Custom necks. Although according to Ibanez, my JCRG-2 and my RG8670 have the same/similar necks to the original wizard, it's quite different. As nice as they were initially I've made a habit of stripping all my guitar necks down to the bare wood and tung oiling them for a better feel.

Fleeeep is right about the J-custom Ultra neck being thick, the necks on my RG1302 and my RG1880s are among some of the biggest necks I've played and still one of my favourites. One thing I'd like to note is that after tracing the neck profiles, I just realized that the necks on my RG1880s and my RG1302 are asymmetric, much like the EVH Wolfgangs were.

(pics of these guitars can be seen here http://ibanezregister.com/Gallery/gr...oyce%20lam.htm
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Secondino
Tonally, thicker necks have more mass and can have a deeper and fuller effect on your tone. I can't say I ever played a super thin neck and was floored by the tone.
I tend to agree with you, but next time you have a chance, try playing one of the higher end Parker guitars (not a nite fly). They have a neck thru which has a similiar profile to the early 90s RG wizard necks. The tone will floor you, but the price of the guitar will flatten your wallet .

Tags
custom exotic wood , custom necks , ibanez neck , jem bsb , neck thru , parker guitars , rosewood board , scarf joint , sounding guitar , thicker necks , tung oil , usa custom exotic wood

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode