Anyone have a varied selection of guitars? - Page 3 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 08:06 PM

Re: Anyone have a varied selection of guitars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleeeep
Thanks very much for the kind words towards my collection! I love Ibanez guitars more then any others but it's great to have others for a change in feel and tone! It's good to have a strat for when you need that sound etc... that reminds me I must keep and eye out for a nice Les Paul, I belive Ibanez made some good copies, must get me one of those ;-)
Get a real '59!!!

No seriously, if you want a real nice Les Paul try a 58 Custom shop RI. All 3 of those I have played were great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red5
Get a real '59!!!

No seriously, if you want a real nice Les Paul try a 58 Custom shop RI. All 3 of those I have played were great!
What does the "RI" mean?
I'd love to be able to get a "Real '59" But I'd have to sell all my guitars and my house to afford one.
I have a little problem with Gibson, I feel that they are way way overpriced for what you get, and I haven't played too many that I thought felt or sounded good enough to warrant the outrageous price tag.
I much rather get a good copy like a Tokai or an Old Ibanez etc that will get the sound and feel close to the original but for a fraction of the price.
That's why my strat ain't a fender!!!
post #33 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 09:12 PM

"RI" = "Re-issue"
90's LP Studios w/ the ebony boards can be had for reasonable prices on e B A Y if you look a little - for the same price as some of those old bolt-neck Ibanez LP's go for sometimes.

-Ben
post #34 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleeeep
What does the "RI" mean?
I'd love to be able to get a "Real '59" But I'd have to sell all my guitars and my house to afford one.
I have a little problem with Gibson, I feel that they are way way overpriced for what you get, and I haven't played too many that I thought felt or sounded good enough to warrant the outrageous price tag.
I much rather get a good copy like a Tokai or an Old Ibanez etc that will get the sound and feel close to the original but for a fraction of the price.
That's why my strat ain't a fender!!!
If you get a good one, it's worth it. The custom shop reissues are very nice - no bad necks and the binding is even perfectly aligned to the neck. They cost a bit more, but are worth every penny and if they made them when I got my Les Paul, I would have got one of them too!
post #35 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 09:55 PM

Variety is the spice of life! Although I am mostly a metal guy I have played acoustic pop and christian rock so I like to be able to pick up something a little different from time to time. This is most of my electric guitars.

post #36 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 10:32 PM

I've got three electrics and an acoustic -

Ibanez UV7PWH
Ibanez RG7CST
Fender USA strat
Martin MC16-GTE

The PWH is the deepest sounding, and probably the smoothest. It's also the loudest unplugged, and takes well to high gain.

The CST is much brighter than the UV, and not quite as deep. This one is happiest playing rhythm and mid-to-low gain leads, where it's incredible attack makes it a very raw, bluesy sounding guitar.

The strat, naturally, sounds like a strat - very bell-like and crisp. It does well playing fairly clean through moderately high-gain leads, and clean rhythm.

the acoustic is an acoustic.

they all compliment each other very nicely.
post #37 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastofLove
"RI" = "Re-issue"
90's LP Studios w/ the ebony boards can be had for reasonable prices on e B A Y if you look a little - for the same price as some of those old bolt-neck Ibanez LP's go for sometimes.

-Ben
That's actually good advice and practical. Back in '90 the studios were a stripped down fancy-free standard without the binding etc. And at sometime around then the bodies were made of solid maple. They sound and play great but damn they were heavy!!!
post #38 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 06:21 PM

Hey Drew, is that just an American Standard strat or something that feels more like a classic strat?

I've always had a problem with the American standard strats because they lack that classic strat feel, the neck is too damn thin and with the tension on the strings it always feels like it's a cheap jap strat.

When I look for a strat, I want a strat with 13s on it with a fat V neck that I can barely fit my extra-large hand around and 2 inch-high action (and that's just at the 7th fret!). Oh and maple fretboards... I have always prefered maple on my strats for the punchy sound.
post #39 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 06:23 PM

Hey gitarguy, that's not a bad collection you got going there --- if you ever consider willing me a couple of them and taking up smoking, let me know
post #40 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 12:44 AM

Talking Re: Anyone have a varied selection of guitars?

Thanks!!! I don't smoke and plan on outliving everyone but, there is always a chance.
post #41 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 01:45 AM

very nice collectoin gitarguy is that a daphne blue strat? I've been longing for one for a loooong time...must have a strat some time.
post #42 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 03:50 AM

I think I have ~35 right now. No problems shifting between them. Just getting around to them all occasionally is the issue. I really want to liquidate the stuff I don't play and/or is already covered by another guitar (or two), and bring in more unique and useful pieces. :^/
post #43 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 04:04 AM

Reviews: 34

I have.

Charvel 550xl. Thru neck charvel, with schaller floyd. I have just put a Bareknuckle Miracle Man in the bridge, and that rocks, and the stacked hum in the neck needs replacing but is ok. Basically it is very close to a USA SL1. Great guitar, although not a fantastic clean sound.

Fender Musicmaster 1977. Nice junk shop kind of tone, ok clean sound.

Ibanez DT 350. wild guitar, great harmonics.

Jem 77FP. nuff said

Custom HM Strat. Alder, reverse headstock maple (fender, USA) Flourescent pink, PAf Pro bridge, and HS3 neck and middle. Schaller floyd. This guitar seriously rocks. Tone is great, good strat clean, and absolutely rocking distorted, even at very high gain. Actually great all round. It only loses out to the Jem on the neck.

Custom modded Zakk Wylde Les Paul. (Flourescent yellow)Sticker kit from Universal Jems. Otherwise a Maison (korean, but quite nice) set neck Les Paul, with ZW EMGs. Surpridingly good clean tones, and killer when distorted.

Cheap Fender acoustic.

I think that variety is really good if you can afford it. I have really tried to get as many different woods, and pickup configurations as I can. What I notice the most is the change in tone between different neck joints, that along with tonewood seems to define the character the most (ok and PUs as well). I think that probably the most versatile of all my axes is the Jem. As it has coil tapped HSH configuration you can get most useful sounds just by changing toggle positions, and the push-pull pot. When you add in the fantastic neck, it makes it a pretty unbeatable package.
post #44 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 04:16 AM

I have 6 electric guitars + 1 Acoustic

- '94 japanese fender strat 54 ri fotoflame finish with 57/62 pu's
- '78 Honher LP Custom replica with Duncan JB and APH1 inside
- '92 Ibanez RT 150 WH (moded with DM Double Whammy, DM Virtual Vintage and GFS Fat PAF)
- '97 Ibanez SC 3120NT (J Custom)
- '98 Ibanez RG 1880 BGS (J Custom)
- A guitar from a french Luthier (Strat shape body with a mahogany thru neck, ebony fretboard, Original Floyd rose, PRS Dragon 1 Treble, Seymour SSL1 and Seymour '59)
- Cuenca NJ10 (acoustic)

My girlfriend has a Takamine EF261 SAN
post #45 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 08:04 AM

Reviews: 34

Scanlan, that custom thru neck strat sounds v. nice.

Tags
acoustic guitar , air norton , classic strat , clean tone , coil tap , custom modded , custom shop , dean markley , deluxe strat , dimarzio cliplock , dimebag darrell , double neck , ebmm evh , ebony board , ebony boards , ebony fretboard , electric guitar , eric johnson , eric johnson strat , ernie ball , fender deluxe , fender eric johnson , fender strat , fender stratocaster , fender telecaster , floyd rose , fret guitar , fret guitars , gibson les paul , gibson les paul classic , guitar shop , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , ibanez rgt , ibanez talman , ibanez usa custom , jackson dinky , jackson soloist , jim donahue , kramer baretta , kramer pacer , les paul , les paul classic , les paul custom , les paul deluxe , les paul standard , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , neck joint , neck joints , neck pickup , neck shape , paf pro , pull coil , pull coil tap , reverse headstock , rosewood neck , seymour duncan , seymour duncans , sounding guitar , strat sound , string acoustic , string bass , suhr standard , super strat , tone zone , warmoth neck , warmoth strat , zakk wylde , zakk wylde les paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode