Anyone have a varied selection of guitars? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Anyone have a varied selection of guitars?

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has quite a number of different guitars, for instance an Ibanez RG and maybe a strat of some sort. Do you find it hard to switch from guitar to guitar?

I was looking to get a Carvin, but I wasn't entirely sure if I would be able to get used to the traditional fender-style blocky heel. My current guitar has an AANJ which is incredibly comfortable for me.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 12:04 PM

Re: Anyone have a varied selection of guitars?

i have 10 right now. i tried to get some variety amongst them. but i'm finding i only really enjoy the ibanez stuff now, so i'm trying to sell off a few things.

e.g. les paul. it's just so damn different from my fav. rg550 that it never got used.

i think it's good to have variety. different guitars inspire you in different directions, even if it's only a different colour/finish. what's not so good (as i discovered) is having variety for the sake of variety. you wind up with guitars that hardly get used!
post #3 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 01:30 PM

well, i think its good to have different guitars instead of 10 RG's, i mean, you will never get a strat sound from anything different to a strat, i guess its good to have a versatile arsenal.
For me, someday (money doesnt grow on trees) will be like this:

*a "warrior" guitar, which is the guitar you get out of the house and beat the sh!t out of it, i mean, you dont want to be worried all the time for your little treasure (expensive guitars) when you are using public transportation, or when you are teaching a little kid (god!, clean your hands!) or stuff like that. For me is a Jackson Performer, MIJ, easy to play, amazing sound and cheap as hell when i bought it (only 150 U$) and believe, its much better than every Ibanez Korean model!

*A strat is a must have, you got a love the sound, it has so much personality

*A H/S/H guitar, Ibanez rule at this, no doubt , i will never get tired of my RG 1570 Prestiege (Tone Zone on the bridge, Jazz SD on neck), awesome, just awesome!

*A H/S/S which is my favourite combination of pickups, i'll get a Suhr someday, best guitars out there (in my opinnion)

*somekind of acoustic guitar, i have a Giannini (made in Brazil), unbelievable instrument

*and i love the Jazzbox, beatufil sound, probably a GB model by Ibanez, would love to have it

For me that would be a "wise" ,versatile arsenal, some other cool adittions, would be, a nice midi guitar, and some kind of double neck guitar...not really into 7 strings
post #4 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 01:54 PM

I have a variety of styles because I like to try different things, whether it's heavier strings, different pickups, different woods, scale, or feel. I can't be a monogamous guitarist- I couldn't imagine having one type of guitar with a given set of features and say, "yes, this is me." My #1 changes on the basis of whatever I'm writing at the time- if I want a huge sound I have my seven-string with Duncans, if I want to beat the hell out of a heavy piece of wood I have my LP strung 13-58 in D with Armstrongs, and if I want metal I have my '79 Mockingbird with EMGs. None of my guitars, aside from 2 having EMGs, share identical features and I play all of them.
post #5 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 04:16 PM

Right now I have

1)Les Paul Classic with EMGs
2)Les Paul Standard with burstbucker pros
3)Les Paul Deluxe with mini-hums
4)Les Paul Custom
5)Gibson V-90
6)Gibson Explorer with Duncans (59 & JB)
7)Gibson SG for playing slide
8 )Gibson Firebird V
9)Fender Mexi Strat
10)Fender Eric Johnson Strat
11)Ibanez S540 LTD
12)Guild Acoutsic
13)Cortez 12 string Acoustic
14)Martin Acoustic
15) Washburn Classical

I'd like to get another Universe one day, then I think I'd be happy.
They all feel and sound different, but I don't find switching between them to be a problem.
post #6 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 04:21 PM

This is me all the way. I play a lot of different styles and need a variety of sounds to choose from.

I have afew guitars and amps, usually I mix and match.

I have an old 80s G&L S-500 strat that is beat to piss which feels like a cheap mexican Fender strat. Wouldn't mind a decent strat but it is not in my budget at the moment.

Have a Gibson Les Paul Classic which I have sold the original pickups for BurstbuckerTs which are just like PAFs (vintage Les Paul pickups... fairly clean and a lot of feedback but the clean tone is just unbelievable!).

Those 2 right there are complete opposites!

Then my latest addition to the collection was an Ibanez Jem.

I don't have much of an issue changing between the Les Paul and Jem, but the action on that damn strat is so damn high (and needs to be so it wont buzz!) that it hits me like a freight train unless I am switching between that and a high-action acoustic!
post #7 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demiurge
None of my guitars, aside from 2 having EMGs, share identical features and I play all of them.
^^They all have EMGs so they all have a similiar sound anyway! :P
post #8 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid
12)Guild Acoutsic
What model and year? All the ones from like 1985 or so and earlier are very nice and quite affordable as well! My father owns 3, an early 60s F20 he bought recently, a 67 or 68 D35 (bought it new the first year they made them)....

and a '81 F50 which is the best sounding acoustic I have ever played (aside from possibly this Goodall I played which I don't think sounded as good, it was just more of a versitile sound!). The bridge has never been filed down on it and the action is actually pretty good even!
post #9 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 06:31 PM

Reviews: 6

I have 5 guitars that get quite a bit of use. My main 2 axes are a FMT tele with humbuckers and a coil tap and of course an ibanez jem. I didn't find it tricky because i think some fenders and ibanezes have similar feel, probably because they come from the same factory (japanese made anyhow.) I like both guitars equally it just depends on what i'm doing.
post #10 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 08:43 PM

It's a late 90s D4, nothing super just one I've had for awhile, I'd like to sell it and get another Martin, one with a cut away, but I keep buying electrics everytime I get enough money for a new toy put away.
post #11 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 10:11 PM

At the moment I've got out:
2 Jackson Soloists (One with EMGs, one with stock Jacksons)
1 RG7620
1 RG550
1 FA100 (a gibson 175 type)
1 stratobastard (Charvel neck, Carvin pickups)
My D'Angelico New Yorker

That's pretty varied, I think
post #12 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 12:04 AM

i find it hard to play one of my guitar's and then change to somthing with a different neck..like les paul to a jem..
post #13 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 12:05 AM

I've lately been switching between:
Ernie Ball Musicman Axis Sport
Ibanez J-Custom RG1802SLK
Ibanez RG 550 DX
Ibanez RG 570 w/seymour duncans
Ibanez RG 270 customised beyond recognition!!!
Ibanez RG 7321
Ibanez USA Custom
Ibanez S 540
Custom "Stratobastard" Warmoth neck and Kramer Body
Washburn DimeBag Darrell Signature w/EMG's
Ibanez AW 40 CE

The RG's get the most action, and even though on Paper they're all pretty similar (to the untrained eye) they all sound and feel different!!
The DimeBag and the Strat get the least action coz they're just too different from my Favourite Ibanez's!
The Musicman is good when I want to control myself from going whammy crazy like I do on the RG's but the sound is close!

I think that's a pretty varied arsenal??

Oh yeah visit here http://www.ibanezregister.com/Galler...ip%20joyce.htm for pictures of All the Ibanez guitars!!!
post #14 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 01:57 AM

I have lots of guitars, with vastly different neck shapes, electronics, hardware, etc. I highly recommend it to everyone. Get used to playing every different kind of guitar. First, you'll have so many textures to create with. Second, you'll never be stuck in a situation saying "I just couldn't play that thing." You'll be able to play each guitar the way it's asking to be played, instead of all your same old tired licks just on different guitars.
post #15 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 03:58 AM

Its good to have variety yeah.......but if you only play 1 style of music, then your going to have quite alot of the same type of guitar. For example if you like metal, you will have alot of EMG equipped, 24 fret guitars. But obviously if you play all kinds of music, then you need varied guitars. A H-S-H Ibanez (RG or JEM) just isnt going to sound the same as a strat or a les paul. If anyone tells you that theirs does........their lying.

But not forgetting also that peoples music tastes change over time and with age. You probably aint going to be into the same stuff when your 40, as you were when you were 18. So if your tastes change.....usually the setup changes too.

But me personally, I aint really too bothered what I play. As long as it sounds reasonably nice, and plays okay, then thats fine by me.

Tags
acoustic guitar , air norton , classic strat , clean tone , coil tap , custom modded , custom shop , dean markley , deluxe strat , dimarzio cliplock , dimebag darrell , double neck , ebmm evh , ebony board , ebony boards , ebony fretboard , electric guitar , eric johnson , eric johnson strat , ernie ball , fender deluxe , fender eric johnson , fender strat , fender stratocaster , fender telecaster , floyd rose , fret guitar , fret guitars , gibson les paul , gibson les paul classic , guitar shop , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , ibanez rgt , ibanez talman , ibanez usa custom , jackson dinky , jackson soloist , jim donahue , kramer baretta , kramer pacer , les paul , les paul classic , les paul custom , les paul deluxe , les paul standard , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , neck joint , neck joints , neck pickup , neck shape , paf pro , pull coil , pull coil tap , reverse headstock , rosewood neck , seymour duncan , seymour duncans , sounding guitar , strat sound , string acoustic , string bass , suhr standard , super strat , tone zone , warmoth neck , warmoth strat , zakk wylde , zakk wylde les paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode