Anyone here setup a RG 920 for Drop D Tuning - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Anyone here setup a RG 920 for Drop D Tuning

Just wondering if anyone has done this yet, and if the results were satisfactory?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 04:36 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: Anyone here setup a RG 920 for Drop D Tuning

Why wouldn't you get satisfactory results? If you set your guitar up correctly you'll be fine. Just don't expect to easily switch between E standard and drop D with a floating bridge without having to adjust stuff slightly.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Understood. I'd still be curious to know if anyone here has done it successfully with the RG 920 since I'd definitely like to have that option. The reason I ask is I remember reading elsewhere that a Ibanez user wasn't getting satsifactory results (tuning instability) when he tried to set up his Ibanez for it. It wasn't specific to a 920 though. I just want to make sure it will work. It's the first time I'm using this type of floating bridge assembly.

Last edited by flashbak; 04-04-2013 at 05:30 PM.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 05:31 PM

Reviews: 25

Of course it can be drop tuned...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 05:53 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashbak View Post
Understood. I'd still be curious to know if anyone here has done it successfully with the RG 920 since I'd definitely like to have that option. The reason I ask is I remember reading elsewhere that a Ibanez user wasn't getting satsifactory results (tuning instability) when he tried to set up his Ibanez for it. It wasn't specific to a 920 though. I just want to make sure it will work. It's the first time I'm using this type of floating bridge assembly.
If someone couldn't get it right it wasn't the guitars fault, it was their lack of setup skills.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 08:01 PM

Reviews: 11

I set a friends up in Drop A with .13-.70 strings. You'll be fine dude

Also, good food for thought. If you get the right strings, the guitar will play and intonate properly in any tuning higher than G. Any lower, and you start to need an extended scale length.

Just make sure you get the right tension. A .46 isn't as good in D as people think

Last edited by D.M.RG7620; 04-05-2013 at 12:48 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 08:19 PM

I've tried it. Was a PITA. Decided instead to run a PRS 24 SE in dropped D into a Radial Bigshot switcher, and keep my 920 along side it in standard tuning. PRS was much easier to set up with its trem than the edge zero on the 920.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Archlute, so no real problems getting the 920 to do drop D after your setup except that it was a pain? Well if anyone here likes to do Tool songs then drop D tuning is essential.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 01:41 PM

Let me explain a little bit:

With a floating tremolo, the tension of the string has to be equal to the tension of the spring, in the back of the instruments. This is how the tremolo is floating.

Now, depending on your needs, you might have to do two things:

First, if you intend to STAY in drop D all the time, you'll have to tune and adjust the sprint tension so that the lost of tension (from going from E to D) is equalised in the springs. if you do need this solution, look for guide on how to adjust the tension.
You would also have to adjust the intonation on that string for a perfect tuning. And, same thing for the the intonation, just look for "how to", you'll find it.

Second, if you want to gro BETWEEN tunings, such as standard and Drop D, you will need to block the floating bridge in "dive only" mode. This can be done in a matter of way, from the cheapest; puting a stack of penny or a block of wood between the tremolo block and the body of the guitar (on the string side), or to a costlyer tremol-no or any tremolo stopper.

Either way, you can tune to drop D, no matter what instrument, but it has to be compensated for a floating bridge.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Understood! Thanks for the replies folks.

Tags
rg 920

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode