Anyone install an OFR on an RG450DX? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Anyone install an OFR on an RG450DX?

Hi - I am new to this forum. I picked up an RG450DX cheap and want to replace the Ibanez tremolo with an original Floyd Rose. Has anyone accomplished this swap? Any tips? If the Floyd will not fit, any suggestions on what will fit? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 08:18 PM

Re: Anyone install an OFR on an RG450DX?

I will ask my drummer friend who puts OFRs and EMG 81s in as many guitars as he can. He has a large Ibby collection and he must have done the OFR thing a few times on some of them.

I know the Original Edge (Edge 1) is as good or better than OFR but not always easy to get. The OFR is available everywhere and always in stock.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 09-10-2014 at 08:26 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
I will ask my drummer friend who puts OFRs and EMG 81s in as many guitars as he can. He has a large Ibby collection and he must have done the OFR thing a few times on some of them.

I know the Original Edge (Edge 1) is as good or better than OFR but not always easy to get. The OFR is available everywhere and always in stock.
Or get a Gotoh Floyd rose and save some money
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Or get a Gotoh Floyd rose and save some money
Don't all of them, OFR/Gotoh/Original Edge all fit in with maybe small changes to the stud spacing or routing in back? Somehow I don't see this as major an operation as going from Kahler to Floyd (where you have to fill in hole first before rerouting) or Fender strat trem to Kahler (where you may have to fill in over-reaching strat rout before routing in Kahler hole).

Isn't the basic routing the same on the RG450 with Edge II the same as the higher end Edge I, or equally nice Gotoh Floyd or OFR? If money is no object it seems like a no-brainer to get the expensive Edge I ($376.00) and call it a day? What am I missing here? You could save a few bucks and get an OFR but wouldn't the Edge I fit perfectly on RG450?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 06:26 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakle View Post
Hi - I am new to this forum. I picked up an RG450DX cheap and want to replace the Ibanez tremolo with an original Floyd Rose. Has anyone accomplished this swap? Any tips? If the Floyd will not fit, any suggestions on what will fit? Thanks!
The 450 came with a lot of different trems and routes over the years..... Without knowing what year yours is, we can't help you.

FWIW...... I put a Lo-Pro into a '96 450 that originally had a TRS-II. The change only required switching out the studs and anchors and a little sanding to fit the body of the trem.
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/lo...te-124868.html
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
Don't all of them, OFR/Gotoh/Original Edge all fit in with maybe small changes to the stud spacing or routing in back? Somehow I don't see this as major an operation as going from Kahler to Floyd (where you have to fill in hole first before rerouting) or Fender strat trem to Kahler (where you may have to fill in over-reaching strat rout before routing in Kahler hole).

Isn't the basic routing the same on the RG450 with Edge II the same as the higher end Edge I, or equally nice Gotoh Floyd or OFR? If money is no object it seems like a no-brainer to get the expensive Edge I ($376.00) and call it a day? What am I missing here? You could save a few bucks and get an OFR but wouldn't the Edge I fit perfectly on RG450?
LP mentioned before that the cavity of the EZ/EZII makes it major project to put in an OE/Lo pro/OFR. Have to reroute the anchor positions or something. Can't remember the specifics though.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
LP mentioned before that the cavity of the EZ/EZII makes it major project to put in an OE/Lo pro/OFR. Have to reroute the anchor positions or something. Can't remember the specifics though.
Blazer is actually correct. The amount of work required to switch an OE/LP into just about any guitar is not all that significant. That said, It does require a person to be competent and comfortable with some basic wood working tools and have a good guide as to how any of the procedures are best approached when considering the tools on hand and a persons skill/confidence level.

The toughest part of doing a trem swap/mod is the fact that paint work is usually needed once the swap is complete.

You are also correct in that, the studs for any EZ trem need to be relocated to work with and ED/LP. This is actually a VERY simple procedure that only involves a drill and bits, a small section of wood dowel to fill the original holes, a saw to cut the wood dowel to length, some wood glue, and some sand paper. Of course a good measuring tool is always necessary. No, Grandpa's old folding rule will not suffice.....LOL

Last edited by RGTFanatic; 09-13-2014 at 12:58 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Blazer is actually correct. The amount of work required to switch an OE/LP into just about any guitar is not all that significant. That said, It does require a person to be competent and comfortable with some basic wood working tools and have a good guide as to how any of the procedures are best approached when considering the tools on hand and a persons skill/confidence level.

The toughest part of doing a trem swap/mod is the fact that paint work is usually needed once the swap is complete.

You are also correct in that, the studs for any EZ trem need to be relocated to work with and ED/LP. This is actually a VERY simple procedure that only involves a drill and bits, a small section of wood dowel to fill the original holes, a saw to cut the wood dowel to length, some wood glue, and some sand paper. Of course a good measuring tool is always necessary. No, Grandpa's old folding rule will not suffice.....LOL
Ah okay. I dont have the tools or space to do it so I'm screwed if I wanted to put an LP/OE into my 350. I could have someone I know do it for a fee but that isn't worth it probably.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Ah okay. I dont have the tools or space to do it so I'm screwed if I wanted to put an LP/OE into my 350. I could have someone I know do it for a fee but that isn't worth it probably.
I agree, the EZII is stable and durable enough to make swapping over to an ED/LP kind of pointless. My original plan was to put an LP into my 2xxv. After enough time beating the hell out of a couple of other EZII's (RG3xxv and an RG920M) I found there was no good reason to go through the work or spend the extra money on an LP.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
I agree, the EZII is stable and durable enough to make swapping over to an ED/LP kind of pointless. My original plan was to put an LP into my 2xxv. After enough time beating the hell out of a couple of other EZII's (RG3xxv and an RG920M) I found there was no good reason to go through the work or spend the extra money on an LP.
What I find interesting is that my EZII holds tuning better than the EZ on my 1550. Dunno why that is (maybe strings need more stretching? ), but there you go. I can leave my 350 alone for months at a time at the tuning still holds.

Tags
rg450dx floyd rose

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode