Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sydney Australia
Re: Anyone know of a good rehab center for GAS
A few self help exercises from Walter Becker (Steely Dan singer/very fine guitarist and occasional contributor to Guitar Player Mag):
Here are a couple of ideas which should be reviewed by any sufferer on the brink of yet another G.A.S. attack:
1. Consider for a moment the karmic implications of owning all those guitars. Picture yourself dragging your ass through eternity with all those guitars strapped to your back. In hardshell cases, not gig bags.
2. Who's gonna tune those buggers? Who's gonna change the strings? (this won't work for guys who are buying and selling with great frequency, i.e., if you don't keep them long enough to change the strings)
3. Imagine that your wife finds out how many guitars you actually have ("Is that another new guitar?" "Oh, no, honey - this one's about twenty five years old!")
4. Pretend you are a clarinet player - how many clarinets do you own?
5. Ask yourself: would I like to be thought of and remembered as a guitar player or as a guitar owner?
6. Imagine that you are in whatever vintage guitar shop you visit frequently and are dealing with the owner of the shop. He is of course severely stricken with G.A.S. Now imagine that you are taking on his personality,with each new purchase you become more and more like him. This one exercise, done properly, will do more to stem the tide of new G.A.S. sufferers than anything else I can think of right now.
The last one does it for me, so much.......
Now, about that Candy Apple Red Strat with the solid Rosewood neck I'm jonesing for........