Anyone mod/upgrade their trems? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Anyone mod/upgrade their trems?

So I picked up another RG3120TW since I sold the last one (the red quilt 3120 or 3220 as I found out). I just missed the trem and the body woods are such an awesome combination, and the neck is perfect for my hands.

It is an amazing guitar, but I think the trem definitely needs some upgrades in my opinion. I have the Edge Pro by the way, so it's a 2003 most likely. It does not have the locking studs, so I will have to get that mod done ASAP.

The other main issue I have which has also been discussed a lot here, is the trem arm. I personally think it is a horrible design from an engineering perspective. For a "precision instrument", there is nothing precise about that housing and the trem arm. I like the pop in functionality of it, but that's where it ends. I've played non locking trems with a much better solid design than this. Having to constantly replace the bushings or fix it with some stupid nail polish is silly when you are supposed to be playing.

Apologies for the rant, and I understand it does not bother some people and they like it as is. That's fine, but for me I just want a functional arm without any nonsense fixes to be done every few days, weeks...whatever.

I just opted for the Gotoh Floyd arm from Stew Mac. It dropped right in without any mods to the trem itself. It is solid and so much more practical in its functionality and efficient all the way around.

Another mod I've been looking at is getting the Trem Block upgrade. I love the tone of the guitar, but if that can be improved than I'm all for it. Now I read that there may be some downsides in terms of limiting the range of the trem use. Has anyone done this on their Edge Pro's? I dont do the crazy Vai stuff, but like to use it once in a while to add some flavor to certain passages. I want to be able to pull up at least 2 whole tones.

And while I was looking into the trem block, I also saw the brass trem claw and the heavy duty noiseless springs. So I will probably go all out and get the most out of this trem and guitar functionality and tone wise.

I'll post pictures soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 02:16 PM

Re: Anyone mod/upgrade their trems?

I have a big brass block and noiseless springs on my Edge Pro which is in an S1520 body. The block is larger and will limit the amount of travel, especially pulling up, on an S body. Not sure on an RG. I also did brass screws and a brass claw.

Had Dimarzio Breeds in there and it was way too bright. Almost sold the guitar. Dropped in some Dimarzio 36th's and it's now one of my go to guitars.

I would say it didn't make a huge change (brass block, claw, noiseless springs) but the guitar does have the best sustain out of all of my S series guitars. And I can get a pretty fat sound out of it too.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Well yea I was thinking about the sustain mostly. The pickups have the most influence on the initial tone anyway. Sustain is a combination of many factors but mostly mass of the bridge I believe.

That's an awesome guitar you have by the way. Really love the S1520s especially because they don't have the middle single coil. I much prefer the S guitars without it.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 03:58 PM

And so much easier to do pickup swaps on! I hate wiring up three pickups with the VLX91 switches....PITA. The brass block will add some top end, just be aware and plan accordingly. I added a brass block to my FGM400 and it a bit more top end heavy than it was before.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 07:08 PM

Reviews: 9

Love the brass block in the S. The S has so many thing that are perfect about it for many, one being that it is mahogany and another is that it is thin. But thin and a floyd lowers the mass a lot. I think the brass block targets that weakness and is a needed addition to this design. But as stated it will prbably add a bit to top end.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 11:03 PM

Reviews: 120

Check out the brass block for Edge Pro from Killer Guitar Components. Sure it's a little more, but a lot more work has been done to it, making it a far better block for setting up your guitar, and minimizing any loss of range.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode