Anyone own an ESP Kamikaze? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Dee

Anyone own an ESP Kamikaze?

Question is in the title. Do you own one? What do you think of it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 09:15 AM

Re: Anyone own an ESP Kamikaze?

I played a LTD version a couple of weeks ago. My GAS for it was huge but unfortunatly it just felt horrid. I'm sure the ESP versions are way better though, problem is they cost SO much more.
I've got a £200 Jackson that feels and plays WAY better than that LTD so don't buy one until you've played it I'd say.

Ben
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Dee

I played one in 1988 Ben and I liked it! Very different from the Ibanez 550 I had at the time but still cool. I always loved them. Damn expensive, though.

PS: I sent you a PM earlier, maybe you didn't see it yet.
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 09:50 AM

Just spotted the PM and replied mate

I'd like to get my hands on a real ESP Kami but I know even if it does live up to my expectations feel wise I'll be put off by the price.
I just can't seem to get past the early 90's/ 80's 2nd hand guitatrs that are out there at the moment. They seem to be way better value for money than the majority of stuff from 2000 onwards.
I bagged a made in USA Washburn for 125 this week and I know it will p*ss all over the new 200 Jackson I bought recently (although in saying that it's a great little "new" guitar for the money).
My search continues. Anything that is not nailed down in my house has potential to be put on the bay and swopped for more guitars at the moment. I find myself spending whole days at work just thinking about stuff I could sell

Ben
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 10:06 AM

I purchased my first Kami thru a guy here at Jemsite.

I have owned several Kami's. They are wonderful guitars. I loved the jumbo Frets and the Original Floyds. The only thing I didnt care for was the Seymour Duncan SD pickup's. I had them changed to Dimarzio Evolutions. With the guitar being very heavy and with the EVO pickup, it was one of the best sounding guitars I have ever owned.

I also loved the push/pull pickup selector and not having a tone knob.
But If you are using pedals to modify your sound then you wont need the tone anyway.

The Kami faces some of the same cracking issues as other guitars which is the neck pocket. The body doesnt crack, only the paint and cover.

Great guitars, and I regret selling mine.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 10:23 AM

Check out the cheap copy on evilbay UK: #130066900708
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Dee

^^ Ugh...

Michblanch, yeah that thing is stupid heavy! It's maple bodied, right? In terms of tone it's a killer! You shouldn't have sold it! You already know that, though.

Ben -- cheers for the reply. I assume you read my reply too. I agree about some of those old guitars. I only wish I'd picked them up when I had the chance, especially some of the Tokai's. They're worth loads now. You could barely give them away in the 80's!
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 09:42 PM

Reviews: 10
Thumbs up Re: Anyone own an ESP Kamikaze?

All I can say is that they are amazing guitars!!! I got one and it sounds and plays awesome!!! specially for those Dokken tunes!!!
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Dee

"Never unchaaaaiiiin the night!"

I used to idolize George.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 12:06 AM

Reviews: 3

The only thing about mine that I couldn't get use to was the neck profile. It sounded incredible, but the neck felt like playing a 2x4.
Josh
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 11:57 AM

Cool Re: Anyone own an ESP Kamikaze?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
"Never unchaaaaiiiin the night!"

I used to idolize George.
I used to play in a tribute band Nobody does GL like me!!!! (Cheap self flattery)
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 12:49 PM

I was about to buy one online, but everyone told me that if you don't have really large hands the guitar is a bitch to play with the long scale and 22 frets.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S View Post
I used to play in a tribute band Nobody does GL like me!!!! (Cheap self flattery)
We'll have to have a GL sound-alike trade off one day, Olie! I used to play a few Dokken songs in an old band too.

PS: GL was pretty good on Tony MacAlpine's Maximum Security album, don't you reckon? I always liked the fact that he always sounds like himself, very distinctive, plus he can sound good alongside real virtuoso dudes such as T-MAC.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 04:54 PM

Thumbs up Re: Anyone own an ESP Kamikaze?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
We'll have to have a GL sound-alike trade off one day, Olie! I used to play a few Dokken songs in an old band too.

PS: GL was pretty good on Tony MacAlpine's Maximum Security album, don't you reckon? I always liked the fact that he always sounds like himself, very distinctive, plus he can sound good alongside real virtuoso dudes such as T-MAC.
Perhaps we can jam to Tears of Sahara, The hunter, tooth and Nail, and Mr Scary when my arm injury heals... that would be fun!!!
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Dee

Yeah! I've been playing Tears of Sahara a lot recently. Tooth and Nail was fun track to play but I never nailed the solo. The Hunter was one of my fave GL riffs, and Mr. Scary is just BADASS. Fun indeed. What happened to the arm, if you don't mind me asking?

Tags
custom shop , dimarzio evo , dimarzio evolution , dimarzio evolutions , duncan pearly gates , floyd rose , jumbo frets , neck shape , seymour duncan , seymour duncan pearly gates , sounding guitar , tony macalpine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

rare esp kamikaze guitars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode