Anyone own an RG2EX2?!? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Anyone own an RG2EX2?!?

Ive owned 2 RG421's, One RG321, so I know what they are all about. However, I REALLY like the look of that RG2EX2, but someone said they are made neither in Japan or Korea. If so, where are they made, and are they complete CRAP?!? My RG421 and RG321 were both excellent guitars for the $$$. I wish Ibanez offered the 421 still, as I much prefer the Wizard II over the Wizard one (ive also owned an RGA121, amazing except for my hand cramping on the neck)

Can anyone vouch for their quality?!? Also, what was the asking price. Im either gonna spend 260$ on a new RG321, or buy a used RG2EX2, for around that same price

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 09:01 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: Anyone own an RG2EX2?!?

They are made In Indonesia, and people have been saying they are great guitars for the money.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 09:35 PM

Own one, the RG2EX2 in white. Got it from Guitar Center (of course, 'cause it's a GC exclusive).

Made in Indonesia. GC never sets up their guitars before they sell them, as you know, so I had to go and get the action lowered, as it was ABYSMALLY and unplayably high out of the box.

The white body/matching white headstock with black binding is just TOO beautiful. I've been sick of black guitars for quite some time, so when I saw this in GC, I had to have it (though, they do make the same guitar, in black, with white binding on the body/headstock).

The EMG passives are, how can I put this, crap.

Well, the bridge isn't too crap, but the neck is very, very crap. If you're doing any soloing with the neck pickup, with any kind of distortion, then you're going to get this warbly sounding note, like it'll sustain, but not at the same pitch (it goes up and down in pitch as you hold a note). This is with distortion on the neck pickup only.

Cleans on the neck = usable. Middle switch cleans = awesome. Bridge rhythm is okay, bridge clean is decent, not great, bridge lead is better than neck (you don't get the warbling sound).

Stays in tune fairly decently, though I plan on replacing the tuners, pots, and input jack (as it loosens from time to time).
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

hey clyde, thanks for the honest opinion.

I wont lie to you, I didnt see a difference between my older RG421 , vs the 321 I purchased. I dont even CARE about the pups as I have a small arsenal I can swap in to find my happy tone.

Im more interested in the overall fret job, if the neck is in the pocket nice and tights, and the paint and body are solid.

I really like the white, so im debating big time if i should order a used one, or buy a new RG321 in RB and add some nice vinyl decals and such to spice it up.

Thanks for the input!

Tags
neck pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode