Anyone for a swim? Caution Non-ibanez - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 9
Anyone for a swim? Caution Non-ibanez

No $hit storm necessary.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 12:18 PM

Re: Anyone for a swim? Caution Non-ibanez

Love that finish.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 01:33 PM

Damn,, I'm getting my floaties and a beer! brand new?
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 05:51 PM

Reviews: 120

Nice! Why's it in the Ibanez sub-forum though???
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 06:03 PM

Do you wait 30min before going for a swim?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 08:03 PM

Looks very cool man.... what is it?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 08:28 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirltop View Post
Looks very cool man.... what is it?
Home built "gibson" les paul custom xD

Damn fine work imo...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
Home built "gibson" les paul custom xD

Damn fine work imo...
ANd the prize goes to....

I built this in 2010 and it is the best sounding I have ever owned. It has 57 Classics in it. I love everything about it. The finish required multiple staining stages and fading using light. The only paint is nitro clear other then the black headstock. It was made to spec from a '59 Les Paul Custom, except that it does not have back binding and the neck is simmilar to the newer 2008 asymetrical neck only on the thinner, wider side, but still enough beef for tone. Also, there is no serial number. All wood used was hand select and It was all hand made by me, and yes I am proud of it.

I posted becuase every once in a while I like to share it. I limited this because sometimes the flame war begins about making copies, and comments like "he is going to sell that to some poor sole someday,,,,,blah. blah,,,blah. The guitar is clearly marked that it is a replica made by me.

Two other reasons prompted me to post. I posted an Explore example a few days ago and also saw a post with a person asking if another guitar was fake. It always make me wonder how many people would see it has fake for certain aspects. I can tell you exactly which areas are slightly off on this (and I do mean slightly). Besides the markings from me, the hardware selection, and the lack of serial number there really is only one sign (or error). The rest was spec and hand made using original techniques.

All that being said, if I was a thief, you could not sell this as a real 59' because of the serial number and markings becuase the collector will look, so the 5-6 digit sale is out. But could it be pawned off as a mint Gibson Les Paul, ohh but wait, those cost between $3k and $4K, maybe $5k - $6k, right? Well not really becuase in reality the materials alone where very near $1200 - $1500 then there are the billion and a half hours I put into this, making the cost of the guitar about equal the national debt. It isn't going anywhere.

As I posted I began to wonder how the excellent members of Jemsite would respond, and as expected no flame war..... yet!.

Thanks guys.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

I do not have a picture of the control cavity but it is marked as well.

and here is the picture that begin the storm! I had made a logo that said "Alison" which is her name now, but I opted to go with a replica logo in the end. It just wasn't right without it. It is just my opinion and may not be yours.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Why do I use stain instead of a paint for the burst? I like the fact that no matter how dark stain tends to enhace the flame where as dark paint tends to covers it. You can clearly see the flame extend to the binding on this guitar, which is not always apparent in photos.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 07:33 PM

It looks like a damn fine instrument and you should be proud of it. I absolutely have no problem with anyone using a logo for a personal guitar. Since you even went the extra mile and left off the serial number as well as marking it I don't see how their could be a problem...

It's true that a Gibson shaped headstock just wouldn't look right without the logo, and since you aren't mass producing them in a Chinese factory I don't know how anyone could get their panties in a bunch over it.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Construction Photos

Old school binding

59' top, a bit different then today.

Got Wood

Early on... Is that an auto tuner, LOL

Very smooth ebony 12" radius board. It was basically polished to a shine

Tags
les paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode