anyone think les pauls are overrated? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 287 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Angry anyone think les pauls are overrated?

So today, i was at school. I told some of my guitar friends that i was getting a new guitar. They asked me which guitar that was. I said it was a high end rg (rg750) and it was awsome. one of them said, "dude get a les paul! ibanezes suck!" and all of them kept nagging me about how gibson les pauls have a really good tone and how american guitars are really awsome and stuff. Now im not against gibsons or american made guitars. However i have heard their quality control has been bad recently. Also saying "les pauls" are the best is really, really biased, cuz umm although they are good guitars, there are others that are good out there. Dont you think les pauls are overrated? I dont mean bad. I dont mean overpriced. I mean OVERRATED?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 287 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 08:00 PM

Re: anyone think les pauls are overrated?

Compared to a high end Ibanez...yes. They aren't even as close as versatile, and in most cases, Ibanez is cheaper.

Really good tone? Maybe just very standard tone. Now, i'm not bashing a Les Paul, a LP is my main ax, but a Les Paul and a RG are both classics, so after that it comes to preference.

But in lots of ways, they aren't amazing, just standard.
post #3 of 287 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 08:14 PM

Reviews: 2

The only way to judge a guitar is playability and build quality. Tone is entirely subjective. I'd never be happy with my tone if I was playing a Les Paul through a Marshall. Sure it has worked for a bunch of people but how many other people has it totally failed for?

Plus there is the fact that your amp, pickups and fingers all have way more to do with your tone than the shape of your guitar or the wood it's made out of.

Compare the playability of a high end RG to a Les Paul and the RG wins hands down. Build quality seems to be all over the place on most of the major companies nowadays so I'd say it's a wash there.
post #4 of 287 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 08:24 PM

Reviews: 1

With the right pickups (e.g. some kind of PAF which Les Pauls were designed for) they are very versatile IMHO especially if you add in some extra switches via push pull pots.

As far as playability goes, how do you define "playability"? That's a word that's tossed around quite a lot but no one ever defines what it means to them. I don't even use the word because to me it's pointless.

If a guitar is set-up well for you then it should be playable. That said, if you don't like the ergonomics of a Les Paul or an RG then you won't find either very playable but like most things guitar related, that's highly subjective.

You can't compare an RG to a Les Paul or vice versa. They're two different beasts. I've got 2 of each so I speak from personal experience.

Last edited by toneboy; 12-12-2009 at 08:32 PM.
post #5 of 287 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

i am not comparing les pauls with ibanez rgs. thats rediculous. but i hate it when people know nothing about guitars and literally "endorse" gibsons. its so ANNOYING!
post #6 of 287 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 09:55 PM

personally, i hate les pauls, i think they are the most uncomfortable, awkward guitars out there. they fall off if you sit down, the bridge is at a weird angle and the necks are baseball bats. the only stuff i can ever play on a les paul is some lame out of tune led zeppelin blues bends or something where as i pick up my rg and i can play anything from latin, to brutal metal, to soft blues to funk. and it feels amazing.

ibanez produce higher quality guitars for lower costs. it's a fact. gibson's quality control is a joke, anyone who isn't blinded by "marshall-les-paul-blues" fever can see that.

so yes, gibsons are overrated.
post #7 of 287 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

yes i agree. and the sg's necks are really really fragile too.
post #8 of 287 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 10:26 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebake View Post
...and the necks are baseball bats.
Apparently you haven't played a Les Paul with a 60s profile neck. It's not Wizard thin but it's substantially thinner than the more common 50s profile. I've got one of each and like them both.

Quote:
the only stuff i can ever play on a les paul is some lame out of tune led zeppelin blues bends or something where as i pick up my rg and i can play anything from latin, to brutal metal, to soft blues to funk. and it feels amazing.
That's not the guitar itself, that's you playing the guitar. Les Pauls are used for all the styles you mentioned and more.
post #9 of 287 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 10:32 PM

Talking Re: anyone think les pauls are overrated?

Love the giant text and color. Once I saw that I knew I should read every word but alas all I can manage is to stare in awe.......
post #10 of 287 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 10:45 PM

Reviews: 19
Talking Re: anyone think les pauls are overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
Love the giant text and color. Once I saw that I knew I should read every word but alas all I can manage is to stare in awe.......
ROFL....

I have a mid Ibanez and an Epi LP.
LP is in Eb for KISS
Ibanez is in E so I can play with the rest of the kids.....

It is subjective to personal taste.
I love LP's but I'd go a high end RG over it any day. But thats just me....
post #11 of 287 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 11:34 PM

I own two Les Pauls, and they can be fantastic guitars. Of course, I also have several 700 series as well.

Simple, get both and love life.
post #12 of 287 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoon View Post
So today, i was at school. I told some of my guitar friends that i was getting a new guitar. They asked me which guitar that was. I said it was a high end rg (rg750) and it was awsome. one of them said, "dude get a les paul! ibanezes suck!" and all of them kept nagging me about how gibson les pauls have a really good tone and how american guitars are really awsome and stuff. Now im not against gibsons or american made guitars. However i have heard their quality control has been bad recently. Also saying "les pauls" are the best is really, really biased, cuz umm although they are good guitars, there are others that are good out there. Dont you think les pauls are overrated? I dont mean bad. I dont mean overpriced. I mean OVERRATED?
I have owned a lot of guitars in my life. Only two have just broken on me. Both broke at the headstock/neck. Both were Les Pauls.

Maybe a fluke, but still for the quality you pay quite a bit more than you do for other quality guitars. If your budget is limited...

And if Ibbys sucked would Satch and Vai play them?
post #13 of 287 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneboy View Post
Apparently you haven't played a Les Paul with a 60s profile neck. It's not Wizard thin but it's substantially thinner than the more common 50s profile. I've got one of each and like them both.

That's not the guitar itself, that's you playing the guitar. Les Pauls are used for all the styles you mentioned and more.
like i said, these are just my experiences with the guitar.
post #14 of 287 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 03:08 AM

Depends on what you define as "over-rated", and what you personally like. I wouldn't play a les paul if i was paid to, IMO. I do love the sounds and the general style, but there are several things stopping me from enjoying it (build quality, neck scale, etc etc). That's why I just called up my builder and had a les paul style custom built to my specs. By that definition LPs arent overrated at all, but then again it's not a traditional LP by any means. If we're just talking Gibson/Epiphone here, then I have to say that I really don't like 'em. I've seen $3000 Gibsons with glaring quality flaws and it just really turns me off.

Saying any guitar is "the best" rather than "the best for me" is pure ignorance anyway. There are literally thousands of guitars out there.
post #15 of 287 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 05:13 AM

Reviews: 25

Always take in what your friends say, but in the end make your own mind up...

Tags
expensive , gibson , les paul , losers , overrated

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode