Anyone tried to install a piezo in an RG before? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Anyone tried to install a piezo in an RG before?

As the title suggests: Has anyone had experience installing a piezo trem in an RG, for instance?

Lets say you could get a hold of an L.R. Baggs trem for an Ibanez and you had an RG to install it on. How much work would be involved? Would you need to drill a second output hole, for instance? And would that compromise the structure of the guitar?

Could you install a non floating style of piezo bridge on a fixed bridge Ibanez, like say a RGT42FXQM?

I'm desperate for a piezo Ibanez and I'm trying to figure out what my options are. Thanks all,

-ColorsFade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 06:56 PM

Reviews: 7
Re: Anyone tried to install a piezo in an RG before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsFade View Post
Could you install a non floating style of piezo bridge on a fixed bridge Ibanez, like say a RGT42FXQM?
I think this is your best bet, going the other route would cost quite a bit, just to even get you hands on the trem.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 08:48 PM

I did once but it caused a tear in the space/time fabric of the universe so I had to take it out.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

While I appreciate the humor of that answer, it falls a bit short in actually answering my question

But it was funny.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsFade View Post
While I appreciate the humor of that answer, it falls a bit short in actually answering my question

But it was funny.
Sorry but from all that I have read It isn't worth it. I think Rich at IbanezRules as brand spanking new 2120 for sale. Or keep an eye on the bay for a used one in decent shape. Would be cheaper that way.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of; that it wouldn't be worth the effort. Thanks for the tip about Rich, I'll see what he has.

Any idea if the piezo Ibanez models show up on **** very often? I know certain models never show up. Like, for a year I've had a watch on **** for a 470XL and I've only seen one pop up the entire time.

Anyway, thanks for the answers
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 06:11 AM

Been a while since I have seen one on that site.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 10:46 AM

Keep your eyes peeled for an Ibanez RG1620x or RG620x. There are still some new ones to be found and you can always post a WTB ad in the classifieds.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69 View Post
Keep your eyes peeled for an Ibanez RG1620x or RG620x. There are still some new ones to be found and you can always post a WTB ad in the classifieds.
What's a fair price for a 620x or 1620x? Are either of those Prestige models?

My understanding (hard for me to find some of this information) is that the 2020x and 2120x were Prestige models.

I'd be happy with any of those four I think, but I would like to know what a fair price would be. For instance, I saw a 620x go for $530 on **** this weekend and I wasn't sure if that was a fair price or not. Then I see someone in another thread here has a 620x for sale and they're asking $675-$700. That seems like a large discrepancy to me (especially if the guitar isn't a Prestige model).

Any and all advice welcome! And folks can email me directly at [email protected] if they feel like it. I'm definitely in the market for a piezo RG.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 04:33 PM

Reviews: 120

I don't see why if you can do the mod work yourself why you wouldn't go ahead with the fixed bridge RG piezo setup. I've seen a couple of examples of RG7321s with this done.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 11:35 AM

The RG620x and RG1620x are both Prestige axes and can be found anywhere from $450 up to the new price (there are some still out there new) which I believe was around $900 or so. If you find one in good shape with clean hardware I'd say anywhere from $450 to $650 isn't too bad of a ballpark, it depends on how bad you want one too
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 10:50 AM

I am going to look into installing a piezo equiped fixed bridge on an RGT42fxqm. I've been wanting a piezo equiped electric again so I figure having the RGT getting added to "the arsenal", it seems like a good candidate.

I'll post more as progress is made

Did you ever decide what you plan to get or do?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 11:01 AM

I just found this option to add piezo to your existing fixed bridge just by replacing the saddles, anybody know anything about them or tried them?

It's hard to tell if everything you need comes with the set

http://www.guitarelectronics.zoovy.c...ic_PreAmp.html
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 01:47 PM

yeah I was going to say why not just get the ghost saddles...
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 03:32 AM

7-string, but the principle is the same:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68449

Last edited by Algiman; 03-03-2008 at 09:09 AM.

Tags
fixed bridge , fixed bridge ibanez , ibanez models , piezo bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode