Ibanez JEM Forum banner
6K views 36 replies 19 participants last post by  TheOrangeChannel 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Wondered if anyone could help here. My 7621's bridge pickup has some issues - microphonic I think - and I'm going to buy a replacement. However, a real problem with researching into buying pickups is that they all seem to have great reviews! So the choice is rather hard.

Anyone with anything to say about DiMarzio 7s - it'd be nice to hear your experiences with them!

I was looking at the X2N-7 and D-Activator actually, anyone played either...?

Thanks guys!

#5 ·
I've got an Evo 7 because it's the standard ... but my favorite is my Bill Lawrence L500s... he made a limited run for 7 strings. I think Becky still has enough parts to make a few more. They're the dimensions of a 6 string pickup but the blade widths extend to edges of the bobbins. KILLER sound.

#11 ·
I don't know what an Evo7 sounds like, but I can comment on the Blaze Custom (Mind the difference between the blaze and blaze custom):
Installed in the bridge, it's got a buttery twangy clean-tone that responds very well to the volume and tone-knob - backs off nicely when you want it to. The distorted sound is midrangey by default, and clear all the way down to A - I love it. You could go lower, but it gets a little too muddy for my personal liking. (then again, I am picky about those things - a "25.5 scale could also be the contributing factor there!)
The Air Norton 7 installed in the neck has a full and warm clean sound, with perhaps a little too dull attack for some. Distorted, it makes for a very smooth lead-tone that has an awesome sweep-tone. Personally, however, I wouldn't go below the low E with this pickup - it muds up too much for my liking. Don't get me wrong, the notes are still audible, but the attack gets too cluttered. I reiterate - I am picky.

#15 · (Edited)
Hey Man,

I think the PAF is a pretty cool and distinctive sounding 7 string bridge pickup... I prefer it to my Evo7 which is too hot and bland for me... and I prefer it to the blaze 7 (though havent A/B them yet) as its got just that bit more colour to the sound... With the PAF you can get some seriously cool tones from the differnet coils! the neck side single growls like a huge harly when used in parallel with the full neck pickup...

Also, unlike the evo/balze/tonezone the PAF is very versatile without gain... which is usually my main gripe with high output pickups

If your feeling adventurous then I think the air norton would make a great 7 string bridge pickup.. though i have not yet tried it in 7 string version I like the air norton in the bridge on a 6... and I like both coils in the norton so Its very flexable as far as wiring goes...

Fixing microphonic pickups is a doddle you should give it a shot! only takes 30 mins start to finish... PM me if you want to know more and I promise yould be doing i to all your (old/cheap) pickups when you hear the results.

Steve

EDIT:

here is a link to try and describe what I mean... the same crap riff played three times... first on the PAF then The Air Norton then the PAF in Harley mode I think it captures the pickup voicings pretty well even if the playing is sloppy and the riff is annoying

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~linc1607/test.mp3

#31 ·
I'm loving my PAF7's...I pretty much use Virtual PAF and Virtual Hot PAF in my 6 strings...I'm getting plenty of beefy tone on both accounts...and yeah the PAF7's are in an APEX2...it's actually pretty cool, unless of course maybe I got a great one of the bunch...but it plays better than my 2004 rg1527 (which I sold)...the neck on that guitar was a dog from the get go...

as for the Apex I was thinking of doing a cople of inexpensive mods to it....Brushed sperzels...and a new volly pot/switch/jack/wiring to jack...the switch seems pretty beefy too actually...although it's a 3way only...I wasthinking maybe a 5way like the previous beast I had.

#32 ·
Well here is an update. Above you can see that I said the Evo7 is the best bridge - well I just tried the blaze bridge. Wow not only is a bit clearer, but it has more bass and less treble. I like the steve vai'ness of the evo7, but for the kinda music I play, I need a pickup with balls.

#35 ·
I am surprised to hear you refer to the Blaze as a pickup with balls after hearing it next to an evo7.

Evo is a very botom-heavy pickup! Maybe try a TZ7 or an AN7 in the bridge position if you need that much more balls?

~K
That it might be - but with my current setup it was too overpowering and the low end was tight but overpowered with feedback. The high end was way to high for me especially with feedback.

I mean they use blaze pickups in the Universes which are Steve Vais 7s. I got the original blaze neck from a UV7BK and a blaze bridge green off the evil side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.