Anyone use DiMarzio 7 string p'ups....? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Anyone use DiMarzio 7 string p'ups....?

Hey guys,

Wondered if anyone could help here. My 7621's bridge pickup has some issues - microphonic I think - and I'm going to buy a replacement. However, a real problem with researching into buying pickups is that they all seem to have great reviews! So the choice is rather hard.

Anyone with anything to say about DiMarzio 7s - it'd be nice to hear your experiences with them!

I was looking at the X2N-7 and D-Activator actually, anyone played either...?

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 08:31 AM

Re: Anyone use DiMarzio 7 string p'ups....?

The Evo 7 I've got in mine seems to be good all-round. A tight, yet fairly warm pickup.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 08:41 AM

I've got an Evo 7 in mine as well. It's a very nice sounding pickup in my Rg7. Funny thing is, every six string Evo I've ever played, I have seriously not liked. Didn't matter which guitar it was in, just wasn't my thing. Go figure.
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 08:58 AM

I use DiMarzio's myself.

Evo7 is definetly the best, in my experience.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 09:19 AM

I've got an Evo 7 because it's the standard ... but my favorite is my Bill Lawrence L500s... he made a limited run for 7 strings. I think Becky still has enough parts to make a few more. They're the dimensions of a 6 string pickup but the blade widths extend to edges of the bobbins. KILLER sound.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 10:05 AM
chi

still using blaze pups on my UV7, they hold up pretty good, would like to get my hands on EVO7 pups
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks for the replies guys!

So Evo7 is the general consensus then...?
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 10:25 AM

A Blaze Custom would also sound great in a 7621.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
A Blaze Custom would also sound great in a 7621.
Thanks. What would you say the difference in tone is between an Evo7 and the Blaze...?
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 12:16 PM

I had the Blaze Custom in my 1527, and didn't like it at all. It was fairly muddy and just didn't have the bite or clarity of the Evo.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 12:16 PM

I don't know what an Evo7 sounds like, but I can comment on the Blaze Custom (Mind the difference between the blaze and blaze custom):
Installed in the bridge, it's got a buttery twangy clean-tone that responds very well to the volume and tone-knob - backs off nicely when you want it to. The distorted sound is midrangey by default, and clear all the way down to A - I love it. You could go lower, but it gets a little too muddy for my personal liking. (then again, I am picky about those things - a "25.5 scale could also be the contributing factor there!)
The Air Norton 7 installed in the neck has a full and warm clean sound, with perhaps a little too dull attack for some. Distorted, it makes for a very smooth lead-tone that has an awesome sweep-tone. Personally, however, I wouldn't go below the low E with this pickup - it muds up too much for my liking. Don't get me wrong, the notes are still audible, but the attack gets too cluttered. I reiterate - I am picky.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Banned

It's a shame - I love the stock pickup already! It's just a bit microphonic lol . What would be similar to the 7621/7620 stocks...?
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 02:53 PM

Evo7 bridge with an Air Norton 7 neck and a DiMarzio 5way multi pole switch.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymills View Post
What would be similar to the 7621/7620 stocks...?
Dude, watch out for the X2N-7. Judging from the reviews, it's very hot and noisy. As far as the D-sonic 7 goes, I've heard that it's a bit like the Blaze Custom, with better low-end... but don't quote me on that one.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 06:42 PM

Hey Man,

I think the PAF is a pretty cool and distinctive sounding 7 string bridge pickup... I prefer it to my Evo7 which is too hot and bland for me... and I prefer it to the blaze 7 (though havent A/B them yet) as its got just that bit more colour to the sound... With the PAF you can get some seriously cool tones from the differnet coils! the neck side single growls like a huge harly when used in parallel with the full neck pickup...

Also, unlike the evo/balze/tonezone the PAF is very versatile without gain... which is usually my main gripe with high output pickups

If your feeling adventurous then I think the air norton would make a great 7 string bridge pickup.. though i have not yet tried it in 7 string version I like the air norton in the bridge on a 6... and I like both coils in the norton so Its very flexable as far as wiring goes...

Fixing microphonic pickups is a doddle you should give it a shot! only takes 30 mins start to finish... PM me if you want to know more and I promise yould be doing i to all your (old/cheap) pickups when you hear the results.

Steve

EDIT:

here is a link to try and describe what I mean... the same crap riff played three times... first on the PAF then The Air Norton then the PAF in Harley mode I think it captures the pickup voicings pretty well even if the playing is sloppy and the riff is annoying

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~linc1607/test.mp3

Last edited by Devo; 04-20-2007 at 04:07 AM.

Tags
air norton , blaze bridge , blaze neck , blaze pickups , bridge pickup , bridge position , dimarzio pickup , high output pickups , john petrucci , neck pickup , output pickup , pickup combination , pole switch , seymour duncan , steve vai , string bridge , string bridge pickup , string pickup , tone zone , virtual hot paf , virtual paf

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode