Art100 anyone? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Art100 anyone?

I was hoping some experienced players could help a brother out. I’m planning on buying a new “inexpensive” guitar to noodle around with. I’d like to get something new and have a budget of $300. I know that really limits my choices but I’ve narrowed it down to 2 guitars (neither of which is available locally to play). Choice 1 is an Epiphone dot studio which is a semihollow with Alnico 2 magnet humbuckers. I was able to find some decent video reviews on this guitar and feel comfortable saying it would fit the bill. The problem is that I’d rather buy a single cutaway Les Paul style guitar which leads me to choice 2 an Ibanez Art100. They are great looking guitars but I’m a little worried due to the ceramic magnet pickups. I once put a Gibson Dirty fingers (ceramic magnet) in a guitar and felt it was too ballzy for my taste. I’ve looked for good reviews but they are scarce. Mostly just amateur players that have nothing more to say than “this guitar rocks” or “sounds awesome through my Spider 3”. The youtube videos I’ve found are mostly metal videos and amateur players that haven’t developed the skill of using a guitars volume and tone knob or really tweaking an amp. I don’t want to just pass on the Art100 because my personal opinion is that Ibanez is head and shoulders above most other manufacturers when it comes to budget guitars (at least the ones I’ve owned have been). I play mostly blues and classic rock. A little distorted but nothing crazy and my main amp is a Vox AC15CC1. Do any semi experienced players have this guitar and can you give me a solid review? Would it fit my playing style? Does the guitar have any know issues, etc…?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 01:39 PM

Reviews: 3
Re: Art100 anyone?

A guy I jam with borrowed one of these from his dad for a session. Seemed like pretty good quality for an inexpensive guitar. I would rather have one than an Epiphone.

Seemed like good build quality, pickups probably the weakest link, which will be the case with any guitar in that price range. The tuners seemed decent. I would recommend for someone in your situation.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for that reply. When you say weak do you mean that they lacked tone or just not heavy? I can deal with not heavy. Lack of any kind of tone is another story.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 03:05 PM

Reviews: 3

They were a bit prone to feedback with distortion as cheap pickups usually are.

I'm not saying they were horrible or anything, just pretty much what you would expect from a budget guitar. I'm pretty sure if you slapped a Dimarzio or Duncan in there it would improve the tone greatly. I would also say this about any guitar in the price range. I would make sure that you like the overall feel of playing it and then make up your own mind about what pickup (if any) you would like to replace.

At least with an Ibanez you can be pretty sure the headstock won't snap off if you look at it the wrong way like an Epiphone will.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

That's very true. Plus I can pick up a decent set of PAF's pretty cheap.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 09:03 PM

Reviews: 5

I have had my Art100 for a little over a year now. I didnt have the guitar very long before I changed the pick-ups to something with a little more bite. I too play mostly classic rockand the stock pups didnt handle it like I wanted. I had a little trouble with the neck but I live in an area where it goes from humid to dry rather extremely. So I cant really blame the guitar for that. It stays in tune rather well. I usually tune it when I first pick it up and it will usually stay in tune until I put it down, depending what I am playing. But I am not a real aggressive player.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 04:17 AM

I just got another Ibanez ART100 because I love my first one so much. Thing is I tried to do some fret work on my first one and really botched it while I was learning what the heck I was doing. So it now needs a re-fret. I got it playable again but the frets are a bit lower. So I just got another one in mint condition, it's heavier and has a blockier neck but I still love it. I'm still working on the set up, I'm sure I'll get it purring like a kitten eventually. The pickups on this class of Ibanezes are a curious bunch. They have good tone and sound good, but also seem to be made to have some distortion, I guess to kinda fake a mean distortion sound, but they don't have max power output. Thing is I don't care about that, I concern myself with whatever I'm trying to play and just deal with it. I think I finally found my guitar after all these years, and though I wish it had better pickups, I'll keep them because I like all my stuff to be as original as possible. cheers

Oh, you should also look at the Ibanez ART300, it's the same body style but is a different level guitar with different pickups, more inlays, and a weird finish that's actually kinda cool once you get used to looking at it, and I've seen them for only a few more bucks! but it's gotta be awesome (for me anyway someday)

Last edited by Tangle001; 10-13-2016 at 04:31 AM. Reason: adding a few sentences and words

Tags
art100

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode