The ATD Swirl that started it all...Darren's first project! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2002, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

The ATD Swirl that started it all...Darren's first project!

I wasn't sure if this should be posted under "Other Guitars" or if it rightfully belongs here in the JEM/UV topic, but I'm sure the Moderators will make sure it lands in the right place

In 1983, Fender contacted Darren @ ATD to do a limited run of Strats & Teles in his unique multi-colored swirl. There were (300) guitars total done:

Strats Teles
Red-Black-White Swirl 108 21
Blue-Black-Yellow Swirl 105 21
Gold-Silver-White Swirl 37 8

Totals 250 50

I've always wanted a "Bowling Ball" Strat to complete my collection of Darren's swirls (I've got the UVMC, PMC, GMC & DNA already). I've searched and searched for one that I liked, although it's hard to be picky because the things are RARE! The only color combo that I've ever cared for are the red/black/white ones, so I've really limited myself. But...it's finally happened! I finally ran across a swirl that I just fell in love with. It's very similar to the "lizard" finish that occured on some of the DNA's.

The guitar arrived in pretty good shape with the exception of one finish chip and some scuffs on the back from a guitar stand. There is also some minor buckle worming on the back, but luckily the finish renders it nearly invisible. The single-ply white pickguard had been swapped out for a newer 3-ply black/white/black model, and the original bridge pickup was swapped for a Duncan Hot Rails (which sounds great by the way!). A nice surprise is that the neck is quite flamed-a rarity on these otherwise stock production model guitars.

Here are a couple of pics: (a "family" shot is in the works with all 5 swirls!)

Front: http://members.aol.com/vaijem777/bowlingfront.jpg

Back: http://members.aol.com/vaijem777/bowlingback.jpg

On top of having a killer swirl, the guitar actually plays and sounds pretty good! It had obviously not been played for quite some time, and had a nasty neck bow and a thick coating of dust & grime. But, after a couple of hours of intensive T.L.C., it's been resurrected!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2002, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
I've moved the topic here as I figured a swirled Fender Strat is still a Fender Strat

I like the red ones best too
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2002, 01:54 PM

ATD Patterns are always ATD GOOOOOOOD Patterns.
WOW!!!! Beautifulllll swirls...

Tubarão
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2002, 02:13 PM
Vendor

One nice bowling ball, and it'll cover a 7 - 10 split!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2002, 03:39 PM

Wow! what a novelty! Chris got another cool guitar....

awesome man. How about a clear pickguard?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2002, 04:09 PM

I was just gonna say, "That needs a clear pickguard."
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2002, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Well...here's a group shot of the 5 swirls:

http://members.aol.com/vaijem777/swirls1.jpg

Not great quality, but the best my cheesy little digital camera can muster

I guess the photo could be called "Bloodlines", since it not only contains a little bit of DNA, but also has the "family tree" of the ATD swirl

As for the clear pickguard idea, that was my first though too! But, since the guitar is top routed, it just wouldn't look right to have that huge electronics cavity exposed. There are NO routings anywhere else on the guitar, as was the norm in '83. The trem is top-mounted, and the output jack is on the pickguard, replacing the 2nd tone control. It's be great to show more of the swirl though.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2002, 09:05 PM

*looks at the Fender bridge*

Oh yeah....that'd be an early 80's Fender. Anytime something looks odd on a Strat or a Tele it's usually something in the early 80's.

Heh...my wife came in and let out a "blech" at the pics; she's not a fan of the swirls. She did however comment that it was an impressive collection and I most certainly concur. Seems like you've managed to get a great "one of each" setup together. Might be nice to keep those pics around for posterity.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2002, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

LOL Yeah...not my favorite Fender trem, but...it was only on the '83-84 Strats. It's a Schaller "Freeflyte" system. Decent bridge, but not the best tremolo. VERY stiff action, and difficult to keep in tune. But...it's all about the swirl

I've got plenty of pics, but...I think I'll hang onto the guitars for posterity! LOL

Thank you all for the kind words though! Finally...one of my obsessions can be put to rest. On to the next one!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2002, 01:47 AM

Hey, cool finish...almost looks like some real granite swirled in there. Not really my cup of tea, but a unique piece!
GK
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2002, 11:47 AM
rvj

Very cool indeed.... love the ATD family tree shot! I actually remember seeing some of the early "bowling balls" in stores. Some were pretty cool and I almost bought one.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 07:55 PM

Very impressive!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 09:20 PM

I saw this on [email protected] a couple of weeks back and was drooling over it.... too bad i couldn't afford it. very nice.

Tags
atd swirl , bridge pickup , duncan hot rails , fender strat , neck bow , production model , white pickguard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode