Awesome score, super cheap NGD!! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Awesome score, super cheap NGD!!

So I had to kill 30 minutes while waiting for one of my favorite restaurants to open up for dinner, and thus I wandered into Guitar Center. So I'm walking around and browsing random stuff, when I see an old Ibanez RX series loungin' around. Strikes me as a poor man's Andy Timmons, and he's my favorite guitarist. This thing is in incredible shape for a 14+ year old guitar. I tried it, and WOW what a player. The neck is BUTTER and the fretwork is the best I've ever seen on a sub-1000 dollar guitar. All in all, I had to have it. The best part was the price. Walked outa there with this baby for a cool $150. Then, to make things even better, the next day I found out they had the Ibanez hardshell for it in excellent shape for...get this, $15!! So I snagged that too.

The bridge pickup is awesome, the neck and middle single coils are a tad weak so I'll probably swap em, but the guitar is fantastic. It's just a case of "its meant to be" and for the price I couldnt turn it down. Next step: Andy Timmons-ing it! Dimarzio Cruiser/Cruiser/AT1, and locking sperzels.

Pics

Oh, and a nice flame on the back of the neck too, which my camera sucks at showing but here it is:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 03:32 PM

Re: Awesome score, super cheap NGD!!

I'll give ya $20 =P Great find! I'd so get one of those and set it up to be an SRV guitar for me haha
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

I'm setting it up to basically be a replica of Andy's signature model. It's got a rosewood board instead of maple but I don't mind.
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 04:05 PM

Reviews: 10

I've done that before - bought a less expensive guitar and then just upgraded the hardware & pups and I've been very happy with the results. Nice score - once you put some nice pups in there and add the locking tuners you'll have a sweet axe!
Cheers!
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
I've done that before - bought a less expensive guitar and then just upgraded the hardware & pups and I've been very happy with the results. Nice score - once you put some nice pups in there and add the locking tuners you'll have a sweet axe!
Cheers!
I'm sure everyone has done that haha, it's a pretty standard thing to do. After my upgrades, this thing will have cost me something like $400 including a hardshell case and will be equivalent in most aspects to Andy's $2100 signature model. Most of my other guitars are pretty much on that level price wise so I gotta get this one up to snuff.

But right now even with the stock powersound pickups, it sounds good and playability is amazing. Perfect frets and the neck feels fantastic!
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 04:20 PM

Reviews: 10

[quote=shreddersymphony;1017536] After my upgrades, this thing will have cost me something like $400 including a hardshell case and will be equivalent in most aspects to Andy's $2100 signature model. quote]

Sweet!
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 04:44 PM

GREAT SCORE...congrats!
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 04:59 PM

Reviews: 4

That's funny, when I posted that I bought the same guitar I got nothing but grief from everyone...Congrats man, I love mine and I hope yours brings you as much satisfaction as mine has...

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/ne...ay-100501.html
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Gotta post nicer looking pictures my friend :P. Anyway, regardless of what anyone says...idk if i got an exceptionally nice one or what but this guitar plays AMAZINGLY well.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 05:14 PM

Ehh, who cares about the picture, does it make your guitar more playable...I think not...Oh and please don't use Sperzels, they're terrible. I'll never use'em again, I only use D'Addario's auto-trim's now...
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Firstly, that was obviously a joke about the pictures. And...

Uh yeah. I don't recall asking for your opinion on what tuners to use on my own guitar. I design my own instruments for the most part and have Sperzels on every single one of my custom guitars. They're by far the best tuners I've ever used. I tune up once a week if that, and I play daily. Maybe it's your attitude that caused people to react to your NGD that way...

But anyway, this thread ain't for that. It's for this new Ibanez. I'm procuring the pickups and stuff right now to Andy Timmons-ize this baby, and I'll keep everyone posted on updates. Look for a family shot of it with my other axes and my rig later on tonight .
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 05:22 PM

Ummm, wow attitude huh, thanks...
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I thought it WAS a Timmons guitar and was wondering when they started making them with rosewood boards

Nice score, both of you
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

put a floyd rose and take out that middle single and put a mini bucker in the neck
Oh it's your guitar so forget about it ...
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
put a floyd rose
Errr, no thanks. I've got one already on one of my custom guitars, and one floyd guitar out of 8 guitars is more than enough for me .

Thanks Jono. That's actually why it caught my eye, and once I played it I would've likely bought it at double the price I paid cuz the neck is pure butter.

Tags
240 , andy , ibanez rx , timmons

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode