AX 7221 - time to be picky again, sorry - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

AX 7221 - time to be picky again, sorry

Also, I went to a guitar center for the first time, and was impressed by the selection, but good lord, the setup and maintennance of the guitars was horrible! But anyway...

I tried a couple of AX 7221s, and was rather impressed. It's a very simple, straightforeward axe, as well as higher quality than I expected. Didn't plug it in though, probably should have. They had a kind of high price on them though, so I'll probably look for one on the net somewhere.

Getting to the picky part; I noticed that its made in Korea, not China. Just trying to contribute to the wonderful collection of information around here. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 12:11 AM

i played this one before, i appreciate it's shorter scale length. some people find it a terrible player, but it's the humbuckers' fault, not the guitar.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 03:48 PM

On the AX7721, I think that the 2 volumes and 2 tones is my fravorite. I always like mixing a neck hum with the tone on 0 with a bridge hum with tone on 10. Also i like the sound when playing Sweet Child 'o' Mine, although i was only trying the guitar (i eventurly bought a RG7420) i didnt hear alot of that sound because the money in the box was going to be asked!
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 07:42 PM

those individual humbucker volume & tone pots are a neat idea. cool tones can be derived from the blending of these. however, those who had tried the AX7 often aren't inspired to buy one- myself included. i am happy with my GAX...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 07:51 PM

AX7521's are very cheap on ebay, and they're japanese.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germX
those individual humbucker volume & tone pots are a neat idea. cool tones can be derived from the blending of these.
Yep, interesting idea...I'm sure the guy at Gibson who thought of it decades ago is very proud.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 08:14 PM

Actually I dont think it was gibson. Anyway has anyone used the esp kh-2? It has a 3 way switch as opposed to a toggle, so it doesnt slip which I like alot more?????? hmmm, Ive got an idea using this that I would love to try out. Two volumes, and a tone, but I want the volume in the usual place on my rg and I want it to be a push pull kill switch so it turns all the other things off so I can do volume swells when I want in any pickup position!! God that would be a nightmare to wire up.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 09:48 AM

might as well thank gibson for the whole electric guitar...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germX
might as well thank gibson for the whole electric guitar...
I do. Both Gibson and Fender pioneered almost everything you see on guitars today. I'm pretty sure that Gibson did think of the two volumes, two tones, and a 3-way toggle thing first...how long has the Les Paul been around? But I could be wrong, it may have been used on an obscure guitar or two before the fifties. Honestly, before the Strat, there were only single pickup guitars mostly, right? Then Gibson brought out the Les Paul (an answer to the Strat, but in Gibson style).
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 11:27 AM

There were jazz boxes that had two and three pickups well before the Les Paul and Strat came about.

The 1949 Gibson ES-5 had 3 P-90 pickups with individual volume controls and a master tone control. There may have also been some dual pickup models with 2 volume and 2 tone controls before the Les Paul was introduced in 1952.

Rickenbacker really deserves most of the credit for introducing the electric guitar with their first fully electric lap steel guitars waaay back 1928. Gibson followed soon after with the "Charlie Christian" pickup which they mounted to archtop jazz guitars.

The Fender Broadcaster (later renamed the Telecaster) was introduced in 1948. The Les Paul came out in 1952. The Strat didn't debut until 1954.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 02:04 PM

Oh yeah, forgot about those. But still, the Les Paul was the first with the 2-volume-2-tone-and-a-3-way-toggle system, right?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31
Oh yeah, forgot about those. But still, the Les Paul was the first with the 2-volume-2-tone-and-a-3-way-toggle system, right?
In my quick research so far, i haven't been able to confirm or refute that with any degree of certainty. If i have a bit more time later in the week, i'll look into it.

From what i've learned so far, Gibson introduced the L-5CES (L-5 Cutaway Electric Spanish) and the Super 400CES in 1951, both of which were dual-pickup models (P-90s... the PAF wasn't introduced until 1957, i believe).

I haven't yet located a photo of an original version of either of these guitars, but i'm assuming that they had dual volume/tone controls. This was also just a year before the Les Paul model made its debut, so chances are, these were around when Les was doing his prototypes. It's really hard finding authentic photos, because Gibson has kept these models going for so long, and has even done vintage re-issues of both. Quite often spec pages for the 1951 model have a photo of a re-issue with humbuckers.

Anyway, this is veering waay off topic... it's an interesting subject, but it doesn't belong in this thread.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
Anyway, this is veering waay off topic... it's an interesting subject, but it doesn't belong in this thread.
Sorry about the off-topic switch. Back to on-topic here, and more about history here.

Tags
bridge hum , darren wilson , electric guitar , les paul , master tone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode