Ax221 - Whats wrong with it? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2001, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Ax221 - Whats wrong with it?

I'm sure it was talked about on the old forum and I just missed it, but I know it has not been talked about of the new forum. I just wanted to hear opinions of the guitar. Also I know there has to be some flaw with it cause it sells for around $400 but if it is something simple like the paint job sucks or it needs a little sanding I would be willing to correct it. Or is it so simple it's cheap? Please help!

(Edited by Noodles at 3:28 am on Feb. 4, 2001)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2001, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Ax221

I would just like to add if I pick this model over all of the other more expensive guitars and amps I'm looking at I will probably end up sanding the down the body and staining it, then I'm gonna change the machine heads to a locking type and if it needs it replace the pickups, bridge and sand down the back of the neck. *So anyways thats why I'm asking.Thanks for all help given.

(Edited by Noodles at 5:05 am on Feb. 4, 2001)
Old 02-04-2001, 11:45 PM

Ax221

Hey Noodles, I'm one of the few people I know who own an AX7. I don't know what that means but....Anyway. I have the AX7-521. It was considered the "high-end AX" (including AX 6 strings), but at a list of 799 I think it was really more of a mid-range guitar. Awesome guitar tho. I still have to change the pickup in the bridge I'm sure it'll be 10 times better once I do. Especially sticking a blaze in there. Now since your asking about the AX7-221 I"ll tell you exactly what to expect. The AX7-221, to the AX7-521, is like the RG7-421 to the RG7-621. Their basically the same thing but with little cheaper things here and there. One very big plus about the 221 over the 521 is that the 221 has neck binding. Just the neck, not headstock or body. But still thats better then nothing. The tuners are the same I'm pretty sure...Everyone says it's made in Korea but I'm almost positive it was made in Japan. (Still to date the ONLY Non-Japanese Ibanez 7's I've seen is that GRX720 which blows worse then a Squier Strat, please correct me if I'm wrong.) It claims to have "5-piece maple with dual Bubinga Reinforcement", but after seeing them for myself I'm not sure they do much or how much bubinga there actually is. They are very very thin. They go all the way across the headstock but I still think their meant to be more cool-looking then help the neck stay straight. On my 521, I have the "standard" bubinga strip that goes right down the middle and stops at the headstock. The pickups are different...Where the 521 has the V7 series the 221 has the AH series p/u's. They probably suck worse and are cheaper. If your buying the 221 and aren't deaf then you'll want to change the pickups immeditely. But that's ok because who likes stock anyway. Maybe UV's sure...heh...Ok back to the topic. I'm not positive but I'm almost sure it has the same fixed bridge as the 521. Which is the same as the RG7-421 but different from the 7621. The 7621 has a bridge called "GTC", which I'm pretty sure is made my Ibanez. The 7421 and AX7's have the "GTC Jr.". Strap pegs are standard crap ones. Oh about the finish...The 221 only comes in Grey Pewter, which is a matte-type finish. I think it's really cool and even though I would love a natual wood stainded AX7 (to help that mahogany shine through), I actually decided to keep the grey because it's a mad cool looking finish. I'm going to ATTEMPT matching the headstock with the same color but I don't know how it will turn out. The 521's also had a cherry fudge, or purple kind or finish. That sucked an no one bought it I'm pretty sure so thats why you don't have that option. In case no one knows yet...the 521 is long past discounted. I think it was in 99. It wasn't made for long. Their still kinda easy to find and if you know where to go you can get a wicked deal on one. (I got mine for 400, which is the same as the 221. I've seen reviews on harmony central where some people paid 700$ and so on so try not to get ripped off like some people) I'm pretty sure thats about it. Ohhhh yea the neck is not so good. One thing I have at the top of my wish list is to have a custom neck made for it which has 24 frets instead and a 25.5 inch scale instead of its 24.75 inch scale. But the big thing is to have the profile like an RG7. I love my RG7 Wizard neck, very thin, very easy to play. The AX7 has an extremely large neck and is pretty much like the Shecter 7's necks and necks like that. Only much better quailty. I have to say the AX7's are put together very well...Well all Ibanez guitars are in general. Most other brands have no idea what their doing and are failing terribly. (At making 7's.) So that should be most of what you need to know about the AX7.

cw
Old 02-05-2001, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Ax221

Madwell, thanks for the help and if I do get one it won't be now. I think I need to focus more on a new amp. Thanks again for the help.
Old 02-05-2001, 12:42 AM

Ax221

my aj307 was made in korea...

i like the way the ax7221 looks, and the 24.5 inch scale isn't that big of a problem, it just gives the guitar more of a classic feel (most gibsons are 24.5 inch scale). *i would have gotten the 7521 if it had come out at the same time as the rg7620 because the ax body shape is more unique than the rg body shape, and at the time, the pickup switching was closer to what i was used to (the guitar i had before the rg7621 was a gibson les paul)

its realy just a matter of opinion. like the age old question; *les paul or strat? *though i'm not saying the ax7 is a les paul... * * i'll just say with one of them you're paying quite a bit for a name... * *try to guess which one

Tags
body shape , fixed bridge , gibson les paul , ibanez guitars , les paul , neck binding , pickup switch , pickup switching , squier strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in