Axes that compare to Jems in playability - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 12:17 AM
Dee

Re: Axes that compare to Jems in playability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon8822 View Post
Ok, now you guys are scaring me, because im about to be buy a jem... mybe I should think about somethign else?

interesting Dee... what features do you think stop the jem from being the ultimate shred guitar. I would've thought its neck would be perfect. Nice flat radius, thin neck, big frets... whats wrong with it? I would liek to hear some critisizem on the jem.
Hey mate, there's nothing wrong with the JEM's at all, as far as playability goes they are usually superb. If it feels to you like the best guitar, that's the only thing that matters. Who am I to argue. All I can do is post my opinion, and to me they are not the best guitars I've played. First time I played a JEM was 1987. It was awesome. I've tried FP's, LNG's, 777's, 7's, 77's, you name it, and most of those were exceptionally great guitars. They just aren't the best I've tried. One of the best I have played was a green PRS semi. I don't even know what the model number was (I should, because it was in the shop where I worked), but it just came alive in my hands and it seemed I couldn't do anything wrong on it. Know what I mean? Everything I tried to do, I pulled off, because the instrument took all the restrictions away and I felt right at home on it.

The Vigier Passion (I understand they are pretty much impossible to find now, and if you do find one it'll be expensive) was just amazing. Everything was right, just like the PRS, and then some more. Since then I have played many great guitars including the Parker's, Charvel's, Jackson's, Music Man, high-end Custom Shop Gibsons and Fenders, some great Yamaha's, and almost every brand you can think of. Some blew the JEM's away, and some were total dogs.

What I don't like about the JEM's are the useless, flashy features (monkey grip, etc) and the extra cash you're shelling out for the Vai name association. That money can be spent on better things. I would really like to buy a Carvin built to my own spec. I think I'd end up with a better guitar if I was to spend the same amount on a JEM as a custom Carvin.

Basically, though, it's up to you. If you connected with a JEM and it "spoke to you", then maybe that's what you should buy. You'll know it when you find the exact right guitar, and you will always remember it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 12:19 AM
Dee

Quote:
mmm whats a JPM?

EDIT: I guess you meant JEM right...
JPM = John Petrucci Model.
post #18 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 12:20 AM

Reviews: 10
Lightbulb Re: Axes that compare to Jems in playability

Quote:
mmm whats a JPM?

EDIT: I guess you meant JEM right...
I have JEM's but I did not mean that. JPM stands for John Petrucci Model (the one made by Ibanez in the mid 90's not the EBMM)
post #19 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 06:00 AM

Suhr build Superb quality guitars tthat are wonderfully playable if you are looking for a bolt-on guitars!!!! They will build you whatever profile neck you want.
post #20 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 09:17 AM

Lightbulb Re: Axes that compare to Jems in playability

my biggest gripe about my JEM777SK is how the high e string so readily slips off the side of the neck when i'm playing, even though i'm using .010s!!! i'd hate to think what it would be like if i was using .009s!!! my only other gripe is that it sounds pretty anemic compared to my Prestige, and RBMNT!!! i can't really comment on the newer JEMs, but i'll stick to my Zacharys!!!
post #21 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 09:53 AM

Your E string falling off the neck seems like a quick neck/pocket adjustment Bobby.
I have a Jem, a Jackson Soloist, an RG550, and a PRS Custom 24 all at arms distance. They are all nice but all a bit different. I had a Parker, it was very nice, but I never bonded with it so I let it go. So, if you can shred at all you can shred on a 355, none of these guitars will hold you back. There are tons of guitars that are eminently shredable, including lots of used '80's weapons from Jackson, ESP, Ibanez, Kramer, Hamer, Carvin, Robin, and others (yeah, even Fender and Gibson ). I personally like to have lots of guitars around (tough to guess that one, right? ) and it really does come down to your personal preference and your own ability. I love the neck on the VWH, so I have one and I'll change the pickups when I get around to it. Spend a month or so pouring over the guitars on the 'Bay, and just see what all is out there. There are sooo many cool guitars out there.
post #22 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby simcox View Post
my biggest gripe about my JEM777SK is how the high e string so readily slips off the side of the neck when i'm playing...
Are you sure it's setup correctly? That shouldn't happen. Rich? Anyone? Tell the man what to do.

EDIT: whoops, there ya go, listen to Jim.
post #23 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 01:54 PM

i would say any MM.. some other nice ones.. anderson, vigier
post #24 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilch View Post
Are you sure it's setup correctly? That shouldn't happen. Rich? Anyone? Tell the man what to do.

EDIT: whoops, there ya go, listen to Jim.
He is just used to the wider necks on his Zachary guitars. Those are superb for shredding, as well as other things.
post #25 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 02:07 PM

There are other elements to consider- such as tone? Some guitars built for speed are only good for that, they are not as versatile.
post #26 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 02:24 PM

Malmsteem is playing a strat, sambora is playing a strat. other shredders play ESP or various brands...

I think the JEM has been developed by engineers in collaboration with someone who's got the hands of a monkey! (meaning he can really stretch his hands... )

I tend to think (but I might be a fool) that you first have to try the instrument before being 100% sure you'll buy it...

ok, i am partial to ibanez , i got 3 of them. but no JEM!

my dream: a mix of the 540 radius body with nice features of the JEM (monkey grip, lion claws and LO PRO!...). and ebony 24 cases fretboard with the last fret scalloped. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
post #27 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 02:36 PM

I am going to have to second the suhr. I got one in February and it is hands down the nicest guitar that I have ever play and even more important the nicest that I have heard. My suhr is even basswood but sounds so much better than any Ibanez I have ever owned and that would be a lot of them. But we are talking more money then a jem. I also would say that I like usa jacksons more than jems or at least as much. Heck I like usa washburns as much as a jem but they are like throwing your money away if you want to resell. Really when you get up in that price range they are all great guitars it is just a matter of what you want.
post #28 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

2 questions...

Im looking at the neck dimensions here http://www.jemsite.com/jem/necks.htm
and im wondering what under Width mm/ nut/ 43, is that 43mm long nut? or is that 43mm thickness of the neck at the nut?

also, it seems like the JPM is the same neck as a Jem except for that measurement. so is that the reason you like it better than the jem Olie? thanks
post #29 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

^^^ help?

Do you guys find that guitars with a nut width of 42 easier to play?
post #30 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 05:25 PM

I like the wider nut actually, but 1mm is not a huge difference. Just pick up on of these RG 20ths if you want a shred guitar. The original wizard neck is legendary, and for pure speed you can't get much better. Replace the pickups with whatever you like and it will still be half the price of a Jem. Oh, and it has the original edge trem, too.

Tags
bridge position , custom shop , custom shop gibson , ebmm axis , ebony board , edge trem , ibanez guitars , ibanez jpm , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , jackson soloist , jeff beck , jeff beck strat , john petrucci , john petrucci model , jpm neck , les paul , les paul standard , lower strings , maple fret , maple fretboard , monkey grip , neck dimensions , neck joint , neck plate , neck shim , paf pro , parker fly , petrucci model , playing guitar , rod adjustment , rusty cooley , srv strat , steve vai , strat style , strat style guitar , tone zone , truss rod , truss rod adjustment , truss rod adjustments , viper neck , yjm strat , zachary guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode