Axes that compare to Jems in playability - Page 4 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 08:52 PM

Red face Re: Axes that compare to Jems in playability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki swordsman View Post
are you certain of that? it seems a bit strange to me, i've never heard of that from any old jem owners before.. Vai didn't use that technique quite that extensively and if he did have the setup modified, it would have been in his personal setup- would be silly for ibanez to make it a stock setup option esp without even mentioning it anywhere..

any axe could be perfectly setup and playing awesome with great action yet still require a common neck pocket adjustment (otherwise it would be a nut problem which i doubt)

check Rich's tech section, he has it in his cleanup to setup tutorial, you can check the centering of strings on the board by eye but not the gap in the neck pocket, it'll look tight enough but there's still room to play with it

it does no harm to read it and if it fixes something you obviously don't like about the guitar, great!
That was something i was told or read about back in the day!!! Since the guitar conformed to that info, i never had a reason to question it, but thx fer the fix tips!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 07:53 AM

Re: Axes that compare to Jems in playability

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterlong View Post
Suhr's are just plain nice. Better woods=better tone. They play better than any jem I have ever played or owned. Each one is made by a single builder not one guy does this and someone else does that. And the some cnc machines of course. Look it is simple It is just a step past what a normal production guitar can offer. Is it better than other guitars made in a similar way hard to say? But way better than a production guitar. When I play one of my other guitars and then plug in the suhr is like I just removed a blanket from around my head. The guitar is clearer and has more sustain than any guitar I have owned.
That's exactly what I was going to say
post #48 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 02:00 PM

i've never played a JEM or even seen one in person for that matter. What I do know is that the Ibanez RG4EX1 I own plays good, but I liked the Jackson DK2 neck better at the time, it might be that I was used to a fatter SG neck at that time too, so it all comes down to what you're used to. I bought the Ibanez over the jackson b/c it was 200 cheaper, had a better trem, and the big blocky neck joint on the Jackson was annoying, AANJ rules
post #49 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 02:38 PM

Pretty much any Caparison is comparable to a Jem. That and depending on your style, an EBMM axis or the Japanese ESP stuff.
post #50 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 03:34 PM

Honestly, I've never been overly impressed with JEM's, especially considering the fact that I can get an RG770 that plays just as well and sounds just as good for far less the price.

Plus, I could never get over all the little features associated with Vai on the JEM's (don't get me wrong, I love Vai). Whenever I see someone playing a JEM, the first thing that runs through my mind is, "he is a Vai copycat". Same thing with an SRV Strat. If my initials aren't "SRV", I don't want "SRV" etched on my pickguard. That's why I've never really liked "signature" guitars (unless it is like the EJ Strat, where his mark can ONLY be found on tiny letters on the neck plate).

So why pay more for features that make you look just like a Vai wannabe when you can get an identically playing guitar for far less?

Not to mention, as others have said, there are many other companies that produce guitars that are equally as good, if not better, than anything Ibanez has put out (Vigier, Suhr, Tom Anderson, EBMM, some high end ESP stuff, etc).
post #51 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 04:27 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby simcox View Post
my biggest gripe about my JEM777SK is how the high e string so readily slips off the side of the neck when i'm playing
That's always been my problem with Ibanez guitars. I've owned 4 of them, and they all do this. Makes me sound like a f'king amateur sometimes! The guitars are / were all set up well too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
Honestly, I've never been overly impressed with JEM's, especially considering the fact that I can get an RG770 that plays just as well and sounds just as good for far less the price.

Plus, I could never get over all the little features associated with Vai on the JEM's (don't get me wrong, I love Vai). Whenever I see someone playing a JEM, the first thing that runs through my mind is, "he is a Vai copycat". Same thing with an SRV Strat. If my initials aren't "SRV", I don't want "SRV" etched on my pickguard. That's why I've never really liked "signature" guitars (unless it is like the EJ Strat, where his mark can ONLY be found on tiny letters on the neck plate).

So why pay more for features that make you look just like a Vai wannabe when you can get an identically playing guitar for far less?

Not to mention, as others have said, there are many other companies that produce guitars that are equally as good, if not better, than anything Ibanez has put out (Vigier, Suhr, Tom Anderson, EBMM, some high end ESP stuff, etc).
Spot on. I probably don't need to voice my opinion on this matter again (I'm sure everyone's sick of it by now) but I will anyway! I don't understand the fanboyism. Some of the "features" on a JEM are useless, they are just cosmetic, and that's what you're paying extra for. A stupid monkey grip? Get outta here! And when I see people playing a JEM I think "Vai wannabe". It's just my automatic reaction.

Spend your money on features that add to the playability or tone of the guitar, and don't be paying for useless stuff you don't need, as well as the name association thing. You know it makes sense!

I don't think I'll be buying any more Ibanez guitars, actually. As I've gotten older I realized there are other things out there which blow them away.
post #52 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
That's always been my problem with Ibanez guitars. I've owned 4 of them, and they all do this. Makes me sound like a f'king amateur sometimes! The guitars are / were all set up well too.
i've seen a few do this, and i still think it's just in need of a neck pocket adjustment. you don't expect an ibanez guitar to be anywhere near setup from the factory, so you wouldn't expect the neck pocket to be setup either no?
(i've seen Rich say most ibanez are in need of neck shims aswell)

and having the guitars well setup doesn't make a difference as many techs and especially(!!) music shops that offer tech work won't even look at a neck pocket adjustment
post #53 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 08:45 PM

Wink Re: Axes that compare to Jems in playability

all i can really say is that if i'm plunking down over a grand for an axe, it sure as HELL better NOT need a neck pocket adjustment!!!
post #54 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post

Spot on. I probably don't need to voice my opinion on this matter again (I'm sure everyone's sick of it by now) but I will anyway! I don't understand the fanboyism. Some of the "features" on a JEM are useless, they are just cosmetic, and that's what you're paying extra for. A stupid monkey grip? Get outta here! And when I see people playing a JEM I think "Vai wannabe". It's just my automatic reaction.

Spend your money on features that add to the playability or tone of the guitar, and don't be paying for useless stuff you don't need, as well as the name association thing. You know it makes sense!

I don't think I'll be buying any more Ibanez guitars, actually. As I've gotten older I realized there are other things out there which blow them away.
See I still haven't found a guitar to actually beat my JEMs, never mind blow them away. I've played guitars that might sound better, or might be more grown up, but I just can't find anything I want more than the guitars I've got!

I'm just destined to be immature for EVER !!!
post #55 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
all i can really say is that if i'm plunking down over a grand for an axe, it sure as HELL better NOT need a neck pocket adjustment!!!
..... Good luck! Apparently almost 60% of the Gibsons which arrive in Australia have to be sent to our only PLEK workshop to be made playable, and believe me, a new Les Paul Standard costs a heck of a lot more than $1000US down here in nowhereland!
post #56 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Only one brand of guitar I know of that have needed nothing to this day.
post #57 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Enough already!
post #58 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 06:04 AM

Talking Re: Axes that compare to Jems in playability

Quote:
Yup yup yup, took the words right outta my skull!!!

OH, and Jess Jess says "HI"!!!
post #59 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 07:47 AM

Quote:
unless of course someone who likes a lower or higher action than you plays the guitar, or uses a different guage of strings than it was setup for, or it get's placed in any type of climate that requires minor truss rod adjustments..
or the wood does it's natural moving over time(all wood moves) and needs a setup.. then yeah, great!

seriously- it's good for you and that's really great but most high quality guitars can be kickass with a perfect setup and ALL setups on wood guitars eventually need tuneups
post #60 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 11:31 AM

Well, I like my Jem just fine. I've played lots of Andersons and Suhrs, and I'll still keep the 7VWH. It's the neck, plain and simple. Replacement pickups have already been orfdered, and I don't use the monkey grip too much
I've sold every J Custom I've had, and I've had at least 250 other very high quality guitars at this point (playing since '72). The Jem works for me.
If something works for you, that's fantastic! It does not, however, make it superior to something that works for someone else. To say there is anything out there that "blows the Jem out of the water" is a bit silly. There are guitars that are more versatile, and there are guitars that do some things better, but apples to apples the Jem can hang with damned near anything.

Tags
bridge position , custom shop , custom shop gibson , ebmm axis , ebony board , edge trem , ibanez guitars , ibanez jpm , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , jackson soloist , jeff beck , jeff beck strat , john petrucci , john petrucci model , jpm neck , les paul , les paul standard , lower strings , maple fret , maple fretboard , monkey grip , neck dimensions , neck joint , neck plate , neck shim , paf pro , parker fly , petrucci model , playing guitar , rod adjustment , rusty cooley , srv strat , steve vai , strat style , strat style guitar , tone zone , truss rod , truss rod adjustment , truss rod adjustments , viper neck , yjm strat , zachary guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode