Axstar AX75 - Need info! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Axstar AX75 - Need info!

Hello! My name is Johnny and I'm a new user at Jemsite.com. My native language is norwegian so please excuse my bad "norwenglish" !

I really hope someone can give me som information about my Axstar (by Ibanez) AX75! I believe it is a 1985 model.

What I need to know is:

- This is a HSS setup with a 3-way switch... how does that work? I (think I) hear no change between the first two positions and a considerable gain drop in third position.

- This has three pots! I believe they should be two volume controls and one tone Control? I can't sort that out. First pot seems to be some kind of master volume and the two others tone Controls with very little functionality.

By looking on the soldering and wiring inside I suspect someone, at some time, took a soldering-iron in hand and tried to do ... something!

So if someone could tell me what-is-what-and-where on this guitar I would be very greatful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 01:56 PM

Re: Axstar AX75 - Need info!

hey, welcome to the forum.

I had an axstar bass that I sold to a guy Italy. They are cool guitars, so congratulations on owning one.

As far as how it is wired I have no clue. They have active pickups and that is about all i know.

http://www.myrareguitars.com/1986-ib...lectric-guitar

If you could upload a picture of the control cavity it may help us figure out what is going on.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks !

It is difficult to work something out - just by looking at pictures I'm afraid. I couldn't stretch the wires because og the circuit in the middle of it all !

Been testing quite a bit this afternoon. First pot is clearly some kind of a master volum. The third pot sound like some kind of a tone control. But the pot in the middle... I have no idea! It feels like the tone get "softer" as I rotate it.

Hmm... could the first position on the 3-way switch be bridge pu, the second be bridge+neck pu and the last position be neck pu. Knocking on the picups did not make me any smarter. The brochure from Axstar from 1985 says two volume + one tone. Could this mean that the second pot is volum for the midle pu?

Does this make any scence?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4190545.JPG (93.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P4190549.JPG (91.7 KB, 0 views)
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 03:25 AM

Resurrecting the thread obviously, but given the lack of information about these guitars, I figure I'd post anyway.

As far as I can tell on my AX75, the middle knob is a volume for the middle pickup. The switch is Bridge, Bridge/Neck, Neck. Other knobs are Master Volume and Master Tone. I determined this by looking at the wiring, but also by tapping on the pickups with a magnetic screwdriver while plugged into an amp.

Tags
ax75 , axstar , pickups , restoration , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode