Axstar what? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Axstar what?

What model could this be?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 02:49 PM

Re: Axstar what?

If I'm not mistaken I beleive that is an Axstar by Ibanez model AX-75 made around 1986 or so.

Edit: I take that back, on second look I don't think it's an AX-75. It looks similar but doesn't have that top contour and the bridge hardware and knobs look a little different also. Perhaps this is a custom build or a tribut build? DO you have any other pics or info on it?

Last edited by madasahatter; 12-09-2014 at 03:05 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by madasahatter View Post
If I'm not mistaken I beleive that is an Axstar by Ibanez model AX-75 made around 1986 or so
I wish it was that simple, but no, doesn't match up. that finish and body shape are different

plus this
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag8 View Post
I wish it was that simple, but no, doesn't match up. that finish and body shape are different

plus this
Yeah, at first glance I thought it was an AX75 but on a closer look I realized it wasn't so I went back and edited my post (when you were posting your response) The shape & the bridge hardware is a little off. It doesn't have that top conture and I dont remember axstars ever being made in a natural finish. And i definately don't remember any of the headless models having that little "head piece" My best guess is that this would be a custom build made to look like an axstar. If it was actually made by Ibanez it could be a prototype or something.

Edit: I just found this little blurb on axstars from the electric guitar blue book:

IBANEZ ELECTRIC: AXSTAR (AX) SERIES The Axstar Series were part of Ibanez's metal years guitars. There were four different versions of the Axstar and the first wasn't available in the U.S. Models were produced in 1985 only and include the AX30 (HH), AX35 (HSS), and the AX38 (HSH). The second version was released later in 1985, and feature the "shark" body shape with headstocks. Models include the AX40 (HH, Black), AX45 (HSS, Red), AX48 (HSH, White), and the AX50B Bass. The third version was released in 1986 and featured a new body shape that was somewhat similar to the Reb Beach RBM models with a skinny body, and they had active electronics Models include the AX70 (HH, Black, Cherry Burst, or Metallic Red) and AX75 (HSS, Black, Metallic Red, or Silver). The fourth version only included a bass model (AXB1000) with Steinberger hardware (no headstock), but had guitar active electronics. The first and second series were never received by the public very well and do not command much money in the used market. The third series were significantly better, and used models can be found between $350 and $450 in the used market.

If you go by that it's not an axstar
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Talking Re: Axstar what?

Quote:
Yeah, at first glance I thought it was an AX75 but on a closer look I realized it wasn't so I went back and edited my post (when you were posting your response) The shape & the bridge hardware is a little off. It doesn't have that top conture and I dont remember axstars ever being made in a natural finish. And i definately don't remember any of the headless models having that little "head piece" My best guess is that this would be a custom build made to look like an axstar. If it was actually made by Ibanez it could be a prototype or something.

Edit: I just found this little blurb on axstars from the electric guitar blue book:

IBANEZ ELECTRIC: AXSTAR (AX) SERIES The Axstar Series were part of Ibanez's metal years guitars. There were four different versions of the Axstar and the first wasn't available in the U.S. Models were produced in 1985 only and include the AX30 (HH), AX35 (HSS), and the AX38 (HSH). The second version was released later in 1985, and feature the "shark" body shape with headstocks. Models include the AX40 (HH, Black), AX45 (HSS, Red), AX48 (HSH, White), and the AX50B Bass. The third version was released in 1986 and featured a new body shape that was somewhat similar to the Reb Beach RBM models with a skinny body, and they had active electronics Models include the AX70 (HH, Black, Cherry Burst, or Metallic Red) and AX75 (HSS, Black, Metallic Red, or Silver). The fourth version only included a bass model (AXB1000) with Steinberger hardware (no headstock), but had guitar active electronics. The first and second series were never received by the public very well and do not command much money in the used market. The third series were significantly better, and used models can be found between $350 and $450 in the used market.

Thanks for that text, sound interesting.

I am dealing with the seller now, he's far away so i might just try my luck, but something tells me this is a real deal. also this

Plus...who in their right mind would go through all the trouble to faking an axstar by ibanez?

seems like too much work to justify the trouble

but yeah, the heastock is weird. I am looking through the "untold" book and cant find any mentioning to that weird stuff...

oh hoshino, why did you make so many strange guitars?!

(PS: catalogs are only gonna take you so far, you better trust your judgment when it comes to these guitars. My rg521qs for example never was in any catalogs...)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Ps: that wording was actually copied from the "untold" book (cheesy bluebook!)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 08:38 PM

You're probably right, it's probably one of those oddballs that doesn't show up in catalogues and has no real info on it floating around. I think you'd be ok trusting your gut saying that it's real as long as the guy isn't wanting an absurd amount of money for it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

He's not asking for much, around the same price that rg550s go for (VERY LOW), so i might just take the bite.

The thing is: wtf is wrong with the people who designed that headstock? I understand that a bit of headstock is needed for the trussrod to work properly, but cmon
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 11:15 AM

Looks pretty cool.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 12:12 AM

I really like the body style, and honestly I like the "headstock" too. IMO it looks better than just a chopped off neck. For the price of an Rg550 I'd buy it

Tags
axstar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode