ayone play 12 string acoustic? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

ayone play 12 string acoustic?

Hi,

Just curious to see if anyone has a 12 string and if so what model you like?

I'm, toying with getting one, but not sure which one - takamine? taylor?

Cheers
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 11:13 AM

Re: ayone play 12 string acoustic?

Actually, I do acoustic shows in addition to the cover band. I just bought a new Takamine 12 string from Guitar Center for around $500. (I can get back to you with the model and price) Anyway, this thing plays like a dream and the built in EQ and tone scoop are great compliments to this guitar.

There are better 12 strings out there but this one has more bang for the buck than any 12 str. acoustic I've ever played.

JV
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 12:11 PM

i ended up getting an alvarez. i found it a pawn shop for $100 with a duraform gigbag. they are normally $600. i just had to get some new bridgepins for it, as someone turned it into a 6 string, but i swap mine out for the brass ones anyway. its a great 12. the HC reviews for it are stellar as well.
http://alvarezguitars.com/prod_page....ID=4&ItemID=78

rich
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 12:48 PM

I used to, not so much anymore.

That being said, the 12 string I used to play is in the classifieds section
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 01:11 PM

I have one, barely play it. Its some cheap Carlo Robelli. I wanna sell it.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 02:09 PM

clarissa 12 string, bought dirt cheap.

tuned to dD aA dD gG aa dd
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 03:04 PM

My friend has a 12 string ovation, but I wouldn't recommend it.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 08:28 PM

Reviews: 120

Really? My auntie has a gorgeous one that she's had for years and it plays and sounds fantastic.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 08:38 PM

I have an old Cortez 12 string, which I heard was an Ibanez thing, but I cant confirm it. It have no complaints about it.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 10:39 PM

I have a Takamine, and i've played their twelves. They're EXCELLENT guitars, especially for their price. BUT, if you can, go for a Taylor, you won't find anything better.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 10:42 PM

I have a 1977 Takamine F-400 12 string I rarely play anymore, but I wouldn't give it up for nothin. It's the only guitar however, that I removed a bone nut from and replaced it with plastic. The original bone nut had the treble strings slotted to close to the bass strings causing an ugly vibration and a loss of bass response due to the strings hitting each other as they vibrated. As luck would have it, my local mom & pops music / repair shop had a nut that was about 1/32 wider than the original and the spacing worked out just perfect, and saved me the hassle of making my own. It actually improved the tone. Takamine really does give big bang for the buck imho. I do not own a Taylor but have heard that they are more sensitive to temp and humidity changes. Just means you get to tune it more often really and for the tone they produce it's prolly worth the extra effort, but if you're gonna do a lot of travelin with it, well lets just say my 30 year old tak still looks like a relatively new guitar, plays like a dream for an ole 12 string, and sounds just as good as the F-400 S I played at G.C. a while back.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 11:16 PM

For a long time, I used to go into music stores and occasionally I'd play around with a 12-string, not knowing too much about them, usually a Martin, Takamine, Ovation, whatever they had -- and I always came away thinking they were damned hard to play. Then once, I tried a Taylor, I think it was the Leo Kottke model (which was not tuned standard) but even despite the strange tuning, it seemed a lot easier to play than the other 12 strings I'd tried. Compared to the others, it played more like a 6-string. For about a year after picking up that Leo Kottke Taylor that day, every time I went into a guitar center, I'd try out the Taylor 12 strings, and the others, and eventually I wound up getting a Taylor jumbo 12 string, I think it's the 355 Jumbo. Anyway, I've never regretted getting that thing, not that I'm any kind of great 12 string player.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrous Lepidoptera View Post
For a long time, I used to go into music stores and occasionally I'd play around with a 12-string, not knowing too much about them, usually a Martin, Takamine, Ovation, whatever they had -- and I always came away thinking they were damned hard to play. Then once, I tried a Taylor, I think it was the Leo Kottke model (which was not tuned standard) but even despite the strange tuning, it seemed a lot easier to play than the other 12 strings I'd tried. Compared to the others, it played more like a 6-string. For about a year after picking up that Leo Kottke Taylor that day, every time I went into a guitar center, I'd try out the Taylor 12 strings, and the others, and eventually I wound up getting a Taylor jumbo 12 string, I think it's the 355 Jumbo. Anyway, I've never regretted getting that thing, not that I'm any kind of great 12 string player.

kottke is killer. i saw him play almost 10 years ago and i am still humbled by him. his signature taylors are unbelieveably awesome...as most taylors are.

rich
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 12:39 PM

Reviews: 1

i have an Ibanez AE1812....love it all except the neck width
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 01:32 PM

my brother has a Guild 12 string from around 1990, plays great...

Tags
bass response , music store

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode