Ibanez JEM Forum banner

AZ Premium worth it?

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Vcorner 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! I've been thinking of buying a new guitar and the Ibanez AZ series caught my eye. Is the premium version worth it? I've heard they have some QC problems like high frets, etc. which I really wouldn't want on a guitar that costs about 1050€. I also have been looking at the charvel dk24 so if anyone has tried/owned one which one is better?
I am leaning towards the AZ because it has stainless steel frets, thicker neck(haven't tried one yet but will try this year. ) and that bocote top one looks really nice. Also HSS or HH?

#2 ·
Also what about the rg550 genesis? it would be priced really well but apparently the pickups are not that great. I also found the s61al which is the same price as the AZ and I think might be a good option. Only thing is that they are made in indonesia(not the rg550) so I'm bit scared that the quality is gonna be crap.

#3 ·
I own an AZ242F in tequila sunrise. It needed a tiny bit of work on it when I got it. A neck adjustment really that was solved by unbolting, adjusting the neck, then bolting it down. Not an uncommon problem for any bolt on no matter where it's made. Now that it's sorted it's an amazing instrument! I really like the Hyperion pickups too even though I'm a Dimarzio guy.
I also own an RG521 Genesis. I liked the stock pickups but recently switched them out to a Super Distortion and Humbucker from Hell in the bridge and neck respectively. Now it sounds amazing!
These have been my top two players over the last few years.
You might want to save up more for a Prestige AZ but I love my Premium.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.