B guitars New York?? Oh help!! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

B guitars New York?? Oh help!!

Hello everybody! A friend of mine here in Minnesota has a gutar that has a fancy "B" on the headstock. It underneath says new york. Its a double cutaway, and has a 4x2 headstock (think music man style). 2 humbuckers, very light weight (chambered perhaps). It has a very fancy wood fingerboard, almost with an orange color. Looks like its a plastic, but its just a fancy stained wood, Im thinking maple. Anyhow, I know theres quite a few guys from the new york area on here, and we would love to know some history on this guitar. I am going to try to get pics, but any info in the meantime would be awesome!! Thanks in advance, and Im happy to be back on here!!..........paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 01:50 PM

Re: B guitars New York?? Oh help!!

Pics would help. The only guitars I can think of offhand with a single B on the headstock are Breedlove acoustics.
http://www.breedlovemusic.com/
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 02:37 PM

Reviews: 11

is this the "B"?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Heres the pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 829.jpg (41.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 830.jpg (44.3 KB, 2 views)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 01:29 PM

DUDE is that a flame maple fret board??

I'll ask a guy who should know. I'll let you know what he says
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

It is indeed!! Cool thank you for checking into it!!......paul
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 02:03 PM

Found Paul's post, so I'll try to expand it a little. This guitar was originally bought used at a music store near an Air Force base, so it could have come from anywhere. Bolt on neck with four screws. It has a violin quality (I'm a maker) curly maple board stained to match the maple cap on the body. Excellent fret-work, it plays like a dream. Active split humbuckers, very hot, 3 position switch. Wilkerson? roller tremelo. Body is mahogany with a curly maple cap. The input jack is in a recess cut about 1x2" into the back of the body about 3 inches below the strap button. Don't think Lou Gramm's signature counts for much.... I've had the neck off, there is no serial number or anything to indicate who the maker was. Every indication is this is a custom built guitar by a (very good) New York luthier... question is, who? If any of you might know, it would be appreciated... it's quite a mystery. Thanks, Chuck.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 01:27 PM

Did you have any luck identifying this guitar? I saw a used, somewhat beat-up one in a local music store. It's got a great neck and I'd like to find one in better condition.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 04:14 PM

Never got a response from anyone. It's a great playing axe, although I'm more of a Tele guy... actually a bass player first. Curious... what were they asking for it? This one has no identifying marks on it that I can find other than the headstock logo. I have not pulled the pick-ups, but have checked the neck pocket and the pocket for the battery.

It was obvious it was made by somebody who knew what he was doing. Mine is in pretty good shape except for three screw holes where the guy I bought it from tried to put on a hipshot b-bender. I've filled them in, but they are still visible.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 08:28 PM

I played bass for about 30 years myself. Now I'm mostly singing and the band already had a bass player. So - I'm playing a Tele (actually, a G&L ASAT). Small world, huh? The other guitar player in my band introduced me to '50's style "nocaster" or "basball bat" necks. That's why I like this "B" guitar - fairly thick and wide at the nut - easy to play for large hands.

The store near me was asking $200. the problem is the bridge is about 5-10 mm off center, so the low e-string hits on the very edge of the frets. To fix it I think I'd have to remove the bridge, fill in the holes, and re-set it. Too much trouble. I was hoping to just find another one but I'm not having much luck.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 11:48 PM

I've never cared much for the baseball necks... a guy I used to play with has a 52 reissue with the big neck... his brother has a "Clarence" clone made by some guy in SC, I believe. sounds great, but heavy! I prefer the "C" neck with the 7 1/4 radius... too many years of playing a Fender J.

I would part with the B, but have $350 in it... probably another $50 to ship. It's in a genaric hard-shell case, nothing fancy. It's in decent shape except for the 3 holes the guy put in it when he tried to put the hipshot on it.. I've filled them in, but they are still visible... one behind the B string ferrel, one on either side of the strap button. his name is also burned into the jack cavity... it's not visible to the public.... and of course, Lou Gramm's signature on the front. I do not have the wammy bar for the tremelo.

I'm not hard over on selling it, but the herd could stand some thinning.

Chuck
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinroy View Post
I played bass for about 30 years myself. Now I'm mostly singing and the band already had a bass player. So - I'm playing a Tele (actually, a G&L ASAT). Small world, huh? The other guitar player in my band introduced me to '50's style "nocaster" or "basball bat" necks. That's why I like this "B" guitar - fairly thick and wide at the nut - easy to play for large hands.

The store near me was asking $200. the problem is the bridge is about 5-10 mm off center, so the low e-string hits on the very edge of the frets. To fix it I think I'd have to remove the bridge, fill in the holes, and re-set it. Too much trouble. I was hoping to just find another one but I'm not having much luck.
you know, its probably just the neck alignment. neck probably shifted in the pocket
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 12:10 PM

Here you go:

www.s a m a s h.com/p/USA101-Electric-Guitar_-49977918

That particular vendor name is automatically blocked. Apparently it's a Brownsville USA101 guitar.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpenguins View Post
Here you go:

www.s a m a s h.com/p/USA101-Electric-Guitar_-49977918

That particular vendor name is automatically blocked. Apparently it's a Brownsville USA101 guitar.

holy cow thats awesome! how did you find that? O.o and why is it so darn cheap with those woods?!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 06:08 PM

Reviews: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
holy cow thats awesome! how did you find that? O.o and why is it so darn cheap with those woods?!
I believe their Brownsville line was made in either Korea, Taiwan or China. That would explain why they're so cheap.

I once had a Stagg guitar that was very similar to a high end PRS. Flame maple, abalone, MOP, mahogany back and set neck. The guitar cost me $200 brand new and played and sounded great. They can make them inexpensively over there.

The flame maple on the body of the B guitar is probably a thin veneer or a photoflame and the neck might be photoflame also.

Tags
custom , new york

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode