A/B Jem/RG Prestiege - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
A/B Jem/RG Prestiege

Just got my Modded RG1570 with Evo's. I A/B the RG aginst my Jem7VWH with the same pickups. Results:

I have always been a skeptic of how much wood effects tone. IT DOES. The clean tone Jem is brighter and more twangy. Distortion is more mid/high driven.

The basswood RG is warmer and fuller sounding. I've heard people knock basswood but I think it sounds great(Ibanez's Japan basswood). Cleans are much warmer and the gain tone is thicker. Don't have the piercing highs.

Played through the same amp, both have the same trems and 500k pots. I was worried about having two guitars that sounded the same and was going to buy new pups. I'm not now, glad to save the money too.

I don't beleive one is necessarily better, it just depends on what your looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 03:47 AM

Re: A/B Jem/RG Prestiege

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash View Post
I have always been a skeptic of how much wood effects tone. IT DOES.
And I've always been a skeptic of how much string tension effects pitch....just busting your balls, but come on now.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco View Post
And I've always been a skeptic of how much string tension effects pitch....just busting your balls, but come on now.

dude he said how much, not straight out whether it's a change or not.

i too am sceptical about HOW MUCH effect wood has in comparison to say pick-ups or string gauge.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBANEZDIEHARD View Post
dude he said how much, not straight out whether it's a change or not.

i too am sceptical about HOW MUCH effect wood has in comparison to say pick-ups or string gauge.
All your guitars are made of the same stuff tho. Once you have a good sit down with a few different guitars its pretty apparent, but like i always say it wont change nearly to the point that you wont recognize a pickup in different woods.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash View Post

I have always been a skeptic of how much wood effects tone. IT DOES. The clean tone Jem is brighter and more twangy. Distortion is more mid/high driven.

The basswood RG is warmer and fuller sounding. I've heard people knock basswood but I think it sounds great(Ibanez's Japan basswood). Cleans are much warmer and the gain tone is thicker. Don't have the piercing highs.
This should be expected. Because jem has more cavities at lions claw especially. Because, as Steve Vai noted in an interview, that region affects sound a lot. I think, while comparing between towo guitars with same type materials, that should be estimated, too.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crevis View Post
All your guitars are made of the same stuff tho. Once you have a good sit down with a few different guitars its pretty apparent, but like i always say it wont change nearly to the point that you wont recognize a pickup in different woods.
yeah i know all mine are made out of the same wood but at the moment thats pretty much the only wood ibanez make their guitars out of...hint hint
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 10:04 AM

There a plenty of mahogany Ibanez guitars.

Anyway, your probably right, it really doesn't make a differance. They'd probably make them out of plastic if wood wasn't so much cheaper.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 07:05 PM

Try ten Jem7VWH and you will probably have the same difference between those as you have between the JEM and the Prestige now.

The type of wood donít makes as much difference as the density of the wood.
A heavy RG in basswood will sound way more different compared to a light RG basswood, then a light RG in basswood and a light RG in mahogany will do (they will sound about the same).

Not facts, just my opinion and something I have realised after trying loads of the same model at the same time.

Also another thing to think about when it comes to wood, no one in the world can say what wood a guitar is made of as soon as you put paint on it.

/Magnus
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 07:07 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez-Mag View Post

Also another thing to think about when it comes to wood, no one in the world can say what wood a guitar is made of as soon as you put paint on it.

/Magnus

Until you pull the neck
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-man View Post
They'd probably make them out of plastic if wood wasn't so much cheaper.

I'll second that!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Until you pull the neck
Yeah, that is true.

But I meant sound wise. That it is impossible to say what wood it is based on the sound from the guitar. I mean, you can take a guess, but never be sure.
If I would putt 50 guitars of different wood in a room, then I think no one could pick out and put all the mahogany, all the basswood and so on in different groups.
Unless they have read what the guitar is made of somewhere.

/Magnus
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco View Post
Thicker strings equals more tension at the same pitch.

Interesting subject though. And after having been around Magnus for some days, I know he knows.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
Thicker strings equals more tension at the same pitch.
....equals string tension effecting the pitch.

Tags
clean tone , ibanez guitars , steve vai , string tension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

Ibanez rare prestiege
are prestiege necks better than rg 350 necks?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode