Bad day to be an RG3120 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Bad day to be an RG3120

So I recently bought (overpayed for...) this RG3120 (150553709879) and this is how it arrived...

(notice the paint chips still in the case...)

The guitar was shipped in a case in a box with NO packaging material of any kind in or outside the case. Also, the tools were left in the open and scattered all over the guitar when I opened the case. That's all I'm gonna say for now till this gets resolved

Lucky for me I managed to snag this beast (250769328923) over the weekend before anyone else pulled the trigger

I didn't really need two anyway, and I hear eBay is pretty good about refunding buyers for damaged items that were packed poorly (obviously UPS isn't going to do anything) so hopefully this turns out well.

Moral of the story.. beg the seller to pack EXTREMELY well (and check the bay constantly )

Last edited by van01010100; 02-07-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 07:41 PM

Re: Bad day to be an RG3120

Damn....damn....DAMN!!!!!

such a beauty and spoiled like that.

Hope it all gets resolved.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 07:54 PM

I hear ya pain. I saw that one but I just can't dig the offsets dots myself. I had one which was MINT but those offset dots were not for me.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Lol.. I love the offset dots. The reason I wanted one of these so badly it because I used to have one before I knew much about guitars. I was never a fan of the 'turquoise' color and I didn't take good care of it, it ended up with dents and scratches all over the body and headstock, pitted hardware, rusty pickups, etc. I ended up selling it for $100 or $150 (can't remember) at a music store because the guy behind the counter couldn't figure out what model it was (or so he said...)
A few years and guitars later I remembered how much I loved playing that guitar and looked it up only to find out it was one of Ibanez's most prized guitars. I've never really lived that down but now redemption is mine
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 11:48 PM

This makes panda's all over the world sad. I would be ripping the seller pritty hard about it, but on the bright side its a couple of chips and a good setup and you have a main and a backup just incase. Love 3120's amazing guitars!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 01:00 AM

Reviews: 8

ouch, yeah I saw that one on eBay, it said in mint condition too, it sucks it didn't arrive that way for you. There must of been a loose tool or tremolo bar rubbing on that part, ouch. That is sadly ironic after reading your other story, you ended up with another chipped one, I hope you get it sorted out mate!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

Well it could be a lot worse, I'm just glad they have buyer protection and the seller is cooperating so far. Although I was initially upset when I saw the dents, I really feel bad for the guy and honestly feel worse for the guitar and the Ibanez community in general, because a pristine example of a '98 RG3120 like this one deserved to stay that way and be appreciated. Unfortunately for the seller I can't feel too bad for him because there's really no excuse for shipping a $1500 guitar without any bubble wrap or anything around the case. There was maybe 20 foam peanuts in the box.

I'm pretty certain it had to have been caused by a tool.. the case and box both showed no external damage, but when I opened the case there were 3 or 4 hex wrenches stuck to the pickups and the truss wrench was somehow just sitting on the arm contour.

I can't really feel bad for myself at all since I grabbed that other mint one right away and in the end I'll only be out the return shipping on the first one (I won't be keeping it as a 'spare'). Speaking of the other one, I sent the guy a message telling him what happened and asking him to make sure he packed it extremely well and he said he would so I'm pretty confident that this one will arrive intact. Plus I'm really diggin' the flame on the other one, it's got way more personality (not to mention $500 cheaper..):

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 02:36 AM

The same thing happened to me. It sucks when an NGD goes bad.

Try to keep things civil with the seller. Ebay "buyer protection" is a joke, you should only consider it as a last resort. They'll make you jump through all kinds of hoops to get the claim approved. I think you have a better chance with a UPS claim.

Good luck.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 09:07 AM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by van01010100 View Post
I sent the guy a message telling him what happened and asking him to make sure he packed it extremely well...
That's the way to do it folks, (on ebay) don't EVER send any money until you send the seller a note through a
ebay message asking them to pack it well as to to get their response documented...this has saved me twice because
the seller wasn't able to lie about his so called good packing job when I had the pics to prove it...
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 09:35 AM

It cracks me up when guys post guitars to me with tools/whammy bar loose in the case and not bubble wrapped. They can and do wreak havoc.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 07:49 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Well it could be a lot worse...
This^^

The tool-thing is very unfortunate (and probably the culprit - I sat looking at the pictures, before reading on, trying to think what would have caused that), but it could have been a lot worse had it been a cracked neck (or what-have-you).
It's probably best to try to keep this outlook even though the damage makes us all cringe, no matter how small.

Gorgeous guitar though! Makes we want to go looking for one.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 10:33 PM

Ive gotten a few guitars without any packing material lately. The latest was my 7PBK. The messed up part is that he paid for FedEx to box it up for him.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelo View Post
Gorgeous guitar though! Makes we want to go looking for one.
There are two more on 3Bay now, although one has chips and the other isn't stock (has a switch in the tone knob?). But they are coming out of the woodwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlupass2 View Post
Ive gotten a few guitars without any packing material lately. The latest was my 7PBK. The messed up part is that he paid for FedEx to box it up for him.
Interesting, the seller of the one that got chipped mentioned he had UPS pack it for him as well (but it shipped in a Fender box so I'm not sure I believe him...) For $75 shipping I expected a top notch packing job. I would never let someone else pack even a $200 guitar for me without at least watching them do it.

I've had incredible luck buying guitars online before this, even a couple poorly packaged ones arrived in perfect condition, so I guess it was bound to happen eventually.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:

Interesting, the seller of the one that got chipped mentioned he had UPS pack it for him as well (but it shipped in a Fender box so I'm not sure I believe him...) For $75 shipping I expected a top notch packing job. I would never let someone else pack even a $200 guitar for me without at least watching them do it.
BS...they would use their own box. They've been using smaller squarer boxes lately, not like a normal guitar box. When I got it I thought, "oh great I got screwed", but they put it in on an angle corner to corner.

Is he going to help you out at all?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlupass2 View Post
Is he going to help you out at all?
Yeah, he doesn't really have a choice. It's the seller's responsibility to ensure the item the buyer payed for arrives as described. That's the whole point of buyer protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kinks View Post
Ebay "buyer protection" is a joke, you should only consider it as a last resort. They'll make you jump through all kinds of hoops to get the claim approved. I think you have a better chance with a UPS claim.
He agreed through eBay messages to a full refund so that's pretty much an open and shut case with buyer protection. UPS on the other hand has specific packaging instructions on their website that are required for an item to be covered, I'm pretty sure 20 peanuts ain't gonna fly.

Tags
damage , rg3120 , ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode