Is it bad to do this? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Is it bad to do this?

OK, sorry for the maybe misleading title but I couldnt explain it there.

You know about the tremol-no kind of device that comes with the ZPS tremolos on the RG1570's. That thing that will make the floating bridge much more stiffer than it should to keep tuning better.

Well, I didnt care until now because I was not using the whammy a lot.. but I started using it for some Van Halen stuff and it's like an adiction . And I was wondering, is it bad to use the bar WITH that thing on? Actually I dont go to bad on it like dive bombing.. but still?

Should I take it off? I REALLY like how easy it's to change strings with this thing on..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 05:10 AM

Re: Is it bad to do this?

No, it's not bad, the bridge will feel smoother without.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 05:56 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

On or off--it doesn't matter. Keep in mind though, the ZPS was designed to work with the tremolo, not against it.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
On or off--it doesn't matter. Keep in mind though, the ZPS was designed to work with the tremolo, not against it.
I'm not following. Do you mean it's meant to work with the blocking system on?

Is it hard to take it off?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 02:07 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

The ZPS is designed to return your trem to the neutral position.

"The Zero Point System acts like the Hipshot Tremsetter, in that it provides additional spring tension that is needed to return the string to the zero position. Normally both the spring tension and opposing string tension is equal, when a tremolo bar is used for a very long duration (such as excessive dive bombs), the spring tension may be compressed to the point that no tension is provided for the string. Thus, the ZPS, which equips with two additional springs, provide the needed tension and the fact that it is a stop-bar allows extreme tuning stability at the cost of having very limited scope for up-bends. "

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 05:22 AM

So... if a string breaks while playing, will the edge stay in tune?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 11:59 AM

Reviews: 3

Nope.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 12:18 PM

Too bad.

Sorry for stealing your thread, paison90, I just didn't think the question was worth an own one.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiecookie View Post
So... if a string breaks while playing, will the edge stay in tune?
Depends how well you set it up. Nothing is foolproof. About as close as I have come is on my new Apex 100 where I installed the ESP arming adjuster. That things stays well in tune with a string break very well.

With the Edge Zero on all of my J Customs, it's close but no cigar. However, if you are really stuck, a quick turn of the thumbwheel at the back will keep it close enough to get through the song you are playing. It's happened once to me and all was fine.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBGas View Post
Depends how well you set it up. Nothing is foolproof. About as close as I have come is on my new Apex 100 where I installed the ESP arming adjuster. That things stays well in tune with a string break very well.

With the Edge Zero on all of my J Customs, it's close but no cigar. However, if you are really stuck, a quick turn of the thumbwheel at the back will keep it close enough to get through the song you are playing. It's happened once to me and all was fine.
Ah, thank you very much ;-) still, I guess the Tremol-no is the better system, isn't it.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 11:12 PM

Technically, yes because it stops any pull up on the bar. In essence, you get limited by that. However, if that is what you were after, then it would be what would be a solution. I don't know if they've made anything to retrofit to the newer bridges though....
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBGas View Post
Technically, yes because it stops any pull up on the bar. In essence, you get limited by that. However, if that is what you were after, then it would be what would be a solution. I don't know if they've made anything to retrofit to the newer bridges though....
Well, I like the drop only option... that's what I use most tremolos for anyway. If the price for tuning stability and simple string change is that you have to do the bends yourself I think it's worth it

Tags
block , bridge , rg 1570

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode