Is this a bad thing? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Question Is this a bad thing?

(ibanez) i always tune my ibanez edge pro by unscrewing the locking nuts and tune it there instead of down @ the tremolo...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 12:07 PM

Re: Is this a bad thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddingjoris View Post
(ibanez) i always tune my ibanez edge pro by unscrewing the locking nuts and tune it there instead of down @ the tremolo...
kinda pointless. I tune up with the tuners then i lock the nut and play it for awhile then unlock the nut and tune it perfect again. Then i use the fine tuners for anything that goes out until my next set of strings. Unless the fine tuner goes all the down then i unlock the nut again and unscrew the fine tuner and tune it up then lock down again.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 01:02 PM
Dee

Quote:
It's defeating the purpose of having fine tuners at the bridge. Also, when you lock the nut pads, sometimes the guitar will go slightly out of tune, despite being perfectly in tune when they were unlocked. This is usually due to the string retainer bar not being screwed down far enough, but also because the pads can twist a little bit and pull the strings out of tune. I couldn't get by without fine tuners!
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
If you're doing any real tuning, that sounds fine. If it's just minor tuning that's what the fine tuners are for.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 02:35 PM

Yep, use the fine tuners.

Sometimes a locking trem will go slightly flat (usually all the strings, or at least half by a few cents)... a cool trick in that instance is to very slightly screw in the claw on the affected side, or both sides if necessary to bring the guitar back in tune. Just make sure to depress the trem before doing this and after each slight adjustment to make sure the springs aren't fooling you with stored slack.

You can always unlock and tune for 5 or 10 minutes to do this, but you accomplish the exact same thing by using the claw screws while everything is locked... the adjustment is so slight there is no noticeable change in the float. Otherwise, if the guitar is unusually flat or sharp you'd need to unlock and tune formally, anyway.

Double locking trems can be a pain if you let them, but once you understand how they work you can slap them around like cheap hos and make 'em work for you.

RR
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 03:06 PM

Will the fine tuners mess with the action though?

Tags
claw screws , ibanez edge pro , locking nut , locking nuts , locking trems , nut pads , retainer bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode