Bass stuff - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Bass stuff

Ok, i have been checking out the John Myung bass for a time, and it seems to be pretty lousy actually... At least that's what people say... Do anybody have some recomendations on a good 6-string, and do anyone know of a cool forum such as this one, but on basses ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 10:22 AM

Bass stuff

try the prestige ibanez soundgear (3006SOL?) incredible unit.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 11:24 AM

Bass stuff

My favorite bass forum is Talkbass.com. *In my experience it seems to be Jemsite's equal in terms of professionalism, personality, and lack of major flame wars/bait. Come on over and take a look.

As for the RBX-JM6, I'd agree that's it's not a great bass, but for the cut-rate prices I've seen it going for these days (typically $550-$599), it might be worth purchasing as a "platform" for better hardware and electronics. *That is, if your back can stand the weight. *Those mofo's are heavy!.

Some other alternatives you might want to look at are the Ibanez BTB line (for the money, probably the best deal out right now), Peavey's Cirrus line, and Carvin's custom shop stuff.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 02:17 AM

Reviews: 3
Bass stuff

I think the John Myung bass is a heavy, uncomfortable, ugly piece of wood with John Myung's name on it. *That's it. *If you want a sub-$1500 bass that is good... I still think the Peavey Cirrus line is as good as it will EVER get. *I think the Ibanez line is pretty crappy, but a lot of guitarists seem to like them, if anything, because they have smaller necks and are easier to get used to after playing some tiny guitar. *All the real good 6 strings are a couple thousand bucks... basses seem to be the same as classicals or acoustics in general, the more that you pay *generally* will reflect on the quality greatly... but I think for $1k, you can get a DAMN GOOD bass from peavey.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 01:14 PM

Bass stuff

Wal basses have always been fine instruments, be prepared to drop quite a bit of cash on one though. They also use a massively wide range off different woods.

I'd also be suprised if Warwick didn't offer something to suit your needs.

Steve
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 03:45 PM

Bass stuff

As a bass player heres some recomendations in different catogories

Cheap (500-1000)

Washburn USA - series with Bartolini's Fantastic playability www.washburn.com
Conklin Groove Tools (they also have a 7 string) www.conklin.com

Mid Priced (1000-2000)

Warwick - Dolphin or Thumb ( find an older thumb they were better than the new crap)
Zon beautiful basses just need to get used to that neck and fingerboard www.warwick.com

Ken Smith - incredible feel and tone and some great woods www.kensmithbasses.com

Luxury (2000 and UP and UP and UP)

FODERA - the best basses on this earth I bought mine for 4600 dollars and worth every last cent....
Its a monarch 4, with burled chestnut top that is fricking incredible. www.fodera.com

Ritter - basses these are some of the prettiest basses ive seen as far as playability no idea never saw one besides the web

F bass - These were a close runner up if I didnt get my Fodera there incredible. www.f-bass.com

BUT FODERA IS AND WILL BE THE BEST BASSES IN THE WORLD AND NO I DONT WORK FOR THEM JUST EXTREMLY PLEASE WITH MINE.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 07:31 PM

Bass stuff

I'll second Jay... the Peavey Cirrus is a lot of bass for the money. Lots of choice wood & finish options, killer active pickups & EQ, graphite reinforced neck, and the list goes on. I've had a Cirrus V for a few years now, and I love it. I was thinking about getting a fretless bass, and I'm trying to find a Cirrus fretless around. It's one of the best looking, sounding, & playing basses for the $.

--B
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2002, 04:26 PM

Bass stuff

I tried out the Cort Artist 6-string, which was really nice. Bartolini pickups, neck through... great price, also.

But I decided on the Ibanez SR1306 Rare wood series, it plays like butter. No neck through, but the neck joint is fabulous.

Eric
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2002, 06:52 PM

Reviews: 3
Bass stuff

Quote:
bduersch on 6:31 pm on Jan. 10, 2002
I'll second Jay... the Peavey Cirrus is a lot of bass for the money. Lots of choice wood & finish options, killer active pickups & EQ, graphite reinforced neck, and the list goes on. I've had a Cirrus V for a few years now, and I love it. I was thinking about getting a fretless bass, and I'm trying to find a Cirrus fretless around. It's one of the best looking, sounding, & playing basses for the $.

--B
FYI I have a Cirrus fretless 6 string in alder with a redwood top... beautiful bass. *~45% off list gave it to me for $1100 or less about a year ago.

Tags
custom shop , neck joint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode