Basswood body with flamed top. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Basswood body with flamed top.

Hey peeps,

I'm thinking about having me build a custom guitar.
This guitar would have:
-basswood body
-flamed top
-hardtail bridge (maybe evertune)
-pickups: Bridge (hum)= dimarzio AT1. Neck (minihum)= dimarzio airnorton S
-maple neck
-Five way switch
-One volume (no tone)

Now i love basswood body guitars with maple necks, but wouldn't the flamed maple top make the guitar TOO bright? Or would it just add a bit more wideness to the high end section?

Who has a guitar with these combination of woods?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 07:14 AM

Re: Basswood body with flamed top.

I had a suhr with a quilt maple top, basswood body and maple neck. It had PAF style pickups in it and sounded extremely balanced/neutral. I liked it a lot for fusion and rock style tones.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Seems like Suhr guitar uses these combinations on alot of there guitars... Interesting...
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 11:02 AM

I have a Prestige 1421 with a maple top. I don't know how thick the top is on Ibanez models, but it sounds virtually identical to all basswood RG's I've owned with the same pickup combination. It may be a tad brighter, but it's negligible to my ears.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 12:45 PM

I have a Premium RG920QMZ basswood w quilted maple top and maple neck/rosewood fretboard; five way switch. It sounds very well balanced, and only becomes too bright if I'm not careful employing my Mk V's treble/presence knobs.

When I was using the Liquifire/Crunchlab combo, positions 2&4 tended to sound a bit thin. Since I've replaced them with a Bare Knuckles set, every positions sounds great and distinct. Fantastic guitar and pups setup if you're a lead player.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 11:31 AM

I've seen a lot of the guys on the Tom Anderson forum use this combination, particularly for more rock oriented guitars. It's a pretty common combo that gets used a lot. You should be golden.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 12:20 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddingjoris View Post
Hey peeps,

I'm thinking about having me build a custom guitar.
This guitar would have:
-basswood body
-flamed top
-hardtail bridge (maybe evertune)
-pickups: Bridge (hum)= dimarzio AT1. Neck (minihum)= dimarzio airnorton S
-maple neck
-Five way switch
-One volume (no tone)

Now i love basswood body guitars with maple necks, but wouldn't the flamed maple top make the guitar TOO bright? Or would it just add a bit more wideness to the high end section?

Thanks!
Unless you put on a super thick top (3/4") you shouldn't notice any change in tone from a regular basswood body. Using pickup rings may add a bit of high-end bite because they'll be mounted to the maple but the difference would be very small. If your planning on a maple fretboard, that will make a bigger difference.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 03:33 PM

From the "body woods" section of the Tom Anderson site...

Maple Top on Basswood

This is by far the most popular body wood combination for all of our Drop Top models. Basswood/Maple produces a very rich, full sound with great low, middle and high end. Its timbre is a bit more of a fundamental tone with fewer overtones than the more traditional body woods. It is extremely popular for many styles of music because of the wide tonal spectrum that it produces. This combination is rather light in weight and looks beautiful with almost all transparent colors.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlute View Post
I have a Premium RG920QMZ basswood w quilted maple top and maple neck/rosewood fretboard; five way switch. It sounds very well balanced, and only becomes too bright if I'm not careful employing my Mk V's treble/presence knobs.

When I was using the Liquifire/Crunchlab combo, positions 2&4 tended to sound a bit thin. Since I've replaced them with a Bare Knuckles set, every positions sounds great and distinct. Fantastic guitar and pups setup if you're a lead player.
Premiums have a veneer.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 08:36 AM

Yeah, Suhr and Anderson love this combination, basswood with a decent thickness maple top. It's very balanced and even with a good, crisp attack - Guthrie Govan uses this a lot in his guitars.

+1 on using a thicker top though, rather than just a veneer, if you can. Or, even doing it the PRS SE way with a thicker plain maple top and a veneer over that to make it pretty would work.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer250 View Post
Premiums have a veneer.
Okay, cork sniffer. Post a link backing your statement, as everything I've ever seen on the instrument, whether from Ibanez or outside reviewers, say nothing about it being a veneer. Regardless, you're still a ****head for having that comment stand as your only contribution to this post.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Okay, cork sniffer. Post a link backing your statement, as everything I've ever seen on the instrument, whether from Ibanez or outside reviewers, say nothing about it being a veneer. Regardless, you're still a ****head for having that comment stand as your only contribution to this post.
http://www.ibanezrules.com/new/rg920qmhvv.htm

And drop the insults.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddingjoris View Post

Thanks!
The Ibanez Tosin Abasi has basswood body and maple top.

Basswood, though soft and not as pretty as maple, is still the best body wood for a bolt on maple neck with humbuckers and I loved my Charvel with that and also Allan Holdsworth signature model. You get the growl and sustain, but just enough high end and a ridiculous amount of single note clarity. Basswood is magic in all this, but of course the pickups have to have those attributes to make it all happen. Maple may make things brighter so you may have to compensate for that in the pickups.

The pickups are still probably most of the tone (50+ percent, 60, 90?) but consider the maple on basswood and maybe get a slightly warmer humbucker to tame any extra added high end the maple will give you. Air Norton seems perfect for this but I don't know about AT-1 and what woods that matches best with. I would think lower resistance humbuckers with more headroom and not a powerful, hot rodded humbucker. The good thing is if you don't like the pups, it's so easy to swap out until you find something you like. I wonder what modern pickup out there is closest to the old Ibanez Holdsworth pickups? That was the most magic strat style guitar I have ever owned among a dozen or so like it with bolt on neck on strat style body.

Also I tightened down the Holdsworth (Fender style) trem so it was like a fixed bridge but there was something cool about the large rout just underneath the pickguard and maybe the extra wood routed out for the trem, too. The guitar had kind of a chambered, hollow sound and mixed with that basswood body and those pickups this guitar was single coil clear, but humbucker rich, too and nothing I have played in my life has come close. Because basswood sound, and no other wood, is my favorite and worked well for Jackson/Charvel too on their versions of that, maybe a thinner top of maple would work because it wouldn't change the sound enough to make it different than basswood alone. I don't know that too much maple would wreck a sound but oddly I liked the all mahogany Les Paul Customs I played a lot better than my vintage Les Paul Custom with thick maple top. The all mahogany LPs were warmer and my maple on mahogany LP was too tinny at times.

It's all personal preference but I am sure there are probably some maple top/veneer Jacksons or Charvels out there to test out. My friend's Charvel had thin flamed maple top on basswood body and that thing was righteous.

Here is a good read on tonewoods for solidbody guitars:

http://www.guitarplayer.com/miscella...onewoods/14591

Last edited by 63Blazer; 09-17-2014 at 04:20 PM.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Haha, you seriously thought an $800 guitar had a real full thickness maple top? There is no reason to be so insulting.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
Haha, you seriously thought an $800 guitar had a real full thickness maple top? There is no reason to be so insulting.
I didn't say I though either way, but I did say he shouldn't have dropped in just to be a dick. And I have the same regards in the matter for you and Algiman - I give a **** about hurt feelings. Maybe it's having served three combat tours in the ME, or maybe it's because I grew up in an older generation that wasn't such a bunch of pussies, or maybe it's because I care more about actually playing than measuring my "prestige dick" on these fora, but whatever it is, I don't give a damn about your ****ing hurt feelings, so ban me already, ****heads.

Tags
basswood maple

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode