Been gassing for something new - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Been gassing for something new

Been gasing for something "new". I have a few nice vintage guitars, Fenders, several JEMs, but looking for an all around for shred with nice tone. If you had around $1600 to spend, which of these would you go with, or throw in some other ideas. Been into Greg Howe's tone lately.

Jason Becker JB24 ($1599)

Greg Howe's new signature Carvin GH24 ($1599)

Greg Howe's old signature guitar Laguna LE924 ($999 no case)

Or stick with Ibanez S5570 ($1599)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 11:03 AM

Re: Been gassing for something new

RG652AHM or RG655M SPM, there are so many guitars to choose Buy what you like
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

I hear ya, it's such an open ended question. As long as I've been playing, I don't know much about the variety out there now. Been pretty much an Ibanez or Fender guy. But hear about PRS or Music Man, I see Vinnie Moore now has his Dean selection. I've owned a Carvin DC127 beautiful guitar, but didn't care for the stock pickups and not much sustain. But may try one again since these listed are bolt on necks.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 11:29 AM

The best thing to do is to try them before you buy of course. If you have a local guitar center go there and play several brands. I would stick with an ibanez prestige as always.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 11:32 AM

If i were you i would pick an used guitar in good shape. Or two for that money
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I like to buy guitars that are worth their value. I see I can already get that Laguna LE924 on the bay for $799. That's a huge drop.

Last edited by LMDAVE; 04-02-2015 at 12:53 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 03:31 PM

Of the ones you posted pics of, I'd go for the S5570. Classy and killer guitar!

If I had the $1600 to spend I'd look into a new (or lightly used) USA G&L Legacy. ($12-1500 I think) Played one recently and realized all my guitars are inferior.

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments...tars/index.asp
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Of the ones you posted pics of, I'd go for the S5570. Classy and killer guitar!

If I had the $1600 to spend I'd look into a new (or lightly used) USA G&L Legacy. ($12-1500 I think) Played one recently and realized all my guitars are inferior.

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments...tars/index.asp
Those are SWEET guitars. I just found out about G&L a few months ago and was wondering 'why haven't I heard of these before?'. Played my buddy's ASAT Classic and realized that I would probably never buy a Fender merely because these exist haha. Leo Fender himself stated "These might possibly be the best guitar I've ever created" (definitely some mistakes in the quote, you get the gist).
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_H View Post
Those are SWEET guitars. I just found out about G&L a few months ago and was wondering 'why haven't I heard of these before?'. Played my buddy's ASAT Classic and realized that I would probably never buy a Fender merely because these exist haha. Leo Fender himself stated "These might possibly be the best guitar I've ever created" (definitely some mistakes in the quote, you get the gist).
Whew... glad I'm not the only one this happened to. After playing a USA Legacy I've got to have one! Looking into used ones. The bad part is that I have to sell a couple of guitars to buy one. Can't decide what to sell, I ony have a few and I'm kind of attached to them...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Whew... glad I'm not the only one this happened to. After playing a USA Legacy I've got to have one! Looking into used ones. The bad part is that I have to sell a couple of guitars to buy one. Can't decide what to sell, I ony have a few and I'm kind of attached to them...
I think if you handed a G&L to a blindfolded Fender fanboy they would remark on "how awesome this Fender Custom Shop is, how much was this 10k?"

They do have surprisingly good resale value considering how not THAT many people know about them. Used are still in the +1000 bracket aren't they?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_H View Post
I think if you handed a G&L to a blindfolded Fender fanboy they would remark on "how awesome this Fender Custom Shop is, how much was this 10k?"

They do have surprisingly good resale value considering how not THAT many people know about them. Used are still in the +1000 bracket aren't they?
You can get a used USA G&L for under 1k... but not too far under. I've seen them at $800-900 on the bay, but also a bit over 1k. I haven't really looked into other models, except the Jerry Cantrell signatures (big AIC fan)... and the USA ones are out of my price range.

When you compare them to other USA made guitars, the price is very good. Way less than a USA made Gibson, Jackson, or Fender. I've heard they are better than some top of the line Fenders... but I haven't played a Fender in years.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 05:51 PM

Christ Gibson prices have risen quite a bit haven't they? Almost 4 grand for a 2015 LP STANDARD. Standard for christ's sake.

G&L Legacys are on my guitar bucketlist (i say this about a lot of guitars). One in 3-tone sunburst would be awesome.

Back to the OP's question, I'd go for the Jason Becker signature series. No matter how weird it is and colorful, it's definitely unique and would be a fun guitar to shred on. Or play blues, whatever you wanna do. Never been a big fan of greg howe's guitars (his guitar PLAYING though is phenomenal), they just seem bland to me. But hey, whatever you think looks the nicest. Like I love my LP is blueburst, other people think it's crap oh well.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, thanks for all the opinions. I agree that the Numbers guitar is a pretty nice guitar given the pickups and floyd rose on it and not the standard Carvin hardware and pickups, and from a collectors standpoint, this guitar may be pretty valuable if they decided to make a limiited amount. But also, it is just a little too colorful.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMDAVE View Post
Yeah, thanks for all the opinions. I agree that the Numbers guitar is a pretty nice guitar given the pickups and floyd rose on it and not the standard Carvin hardware and pickups, and from a collectors standpoint, this guitar may be pretty valuable if they decided to make a limiited amount. But also, it is just a little too colorful.
It IS colorful but like, what about swirled JEMs eh? It seems like of all three guitars the jason becker would be the most valuable investment in the long run.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode