Best 1 Pick-Up Guitar? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Best 1 Pick-Up Guitar?

I was just wondering what you all think is the best 1 PU humbucker guitar, because I'm really interested in trying to buy one but don't really want to dish out the money for a Baretta, and don't know many other 1 PU guitars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 08:10 PM

Re: Best 1 Pick-Up Guitar?

Ibanez has the RG2610. Single humbucker, edge zero. Unfortunately just black.
ESP offers the M I, the LTD Screaming Scull and many signature models (Alexi Laiho, Max Cavalera, George Lynch, Chimaira guys, Wayne Static to name a few).
Jackson offers the RR24 and the Christian Olde Wolbers sig. I think Charvel has a single pickup San Dimas too.

I've played both the Ibanez and the Jackson RR and love their feel equally. But I prefer the RR's looks. Try as many as you can. cause they all got great specs and it's really hard to decide.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Aris_T, I checked out the guitars you listed and I honestly didn't like them too much other than the RR24. I have played ESP's before, never loved the sound of them. Sorry if people didn't understand earlier, but the guitar I'm looking for doesn't have to be a current one, it could be from 1980 for all I care. Thanks!
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmoofer View Post
I was just wondering what you all think is the best 1 PU humbucker guitar, because I'm really interested in trying to buy one but don't really want to dish out the money for a Baretta, and don't know many other 1 PU guitars.
Don't want a Baretta? How about a Focus 1000?

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_baAh1sYQ7HI/Rm...A/DSC02622.JPG
http://www.vintagekramer.com/focus.htm

I picked up one for about $200 at a pawn shop in Austin. You're getting a MIJ Baretta made by ESP, which IMO probably has more consistent build quality. Other than not having the more valuable MIA Baretta, I like my Focus better. These things kick ass. Mine, as far as I can tell, is an '86 and it has one of the best feeling necks I've ever played. It's very similar to the one in the picture except mine has gold hardware, including an original Floyd. You can one up cheap if you shop around. The usual price is $200 to $300.

Last edited by RedTiger; 01-11-2010 at 08:38 PM.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 08:41 PM

Reviews: 12

other than the ones mentioned above:

dunno about being best though...

Reg
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
I'm really interested in trying to buy one
why do you want one?
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneboy View Post
why do you want one?
I'm a HUGE Van Halen fan, and I would like to own a guitar that can really get that brown sound, and other 80's guitar sounds(demartini, jake e. lee, etc). As much as I love my strat, sometimes it just can't get the sound I like.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 10:58 PM

Why not chop the strat with a chisel and put a fat PAF in there? Thats gonna be as brown as it gets without Eddie's fingers...
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
I'm a HUGE Van Halen fan, and I would like to own a guitar that can really get that brown sound
...then you're better off learning to play just like him then trying to replicate his sound with just gear because it ain't gonna happen. Besides, does it really matter if the guitar has more than a humbucker when it comes to getting that sound? No, it doesn't.

Quote:
...and other 80's guitar sounds(demartini, jake e. lee, etc). As much as I love my strat, sometimes it just can't get the sound I like.
Demartini plays guitars with 1 humbucker and some with a humbucker and a single. Jake played guitars with 1 humbucker, 2 single coils, 2 humbuckers, whatever. The number of pickups doesn't matter - it what's you do with them.

If you really want a single humbucker guitar, than Godspeed sir but there's no mojo in only having one pickup.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 12:08 PM

Did someone mention a Focus 1000?
I just got one myself... Great guitar!

post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 12:51 PM

This is an easy question to answer, granted it's my opinion....

B.C.Rich Gunslinger
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 01:46 PM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
I'm a HUGE Van Halen fan, and I would like to own a guitar that can really get that brown sound, and other 80's guitar sounds(demartini, jake e. lee, etc). As much as I love my strat, sometimes it just can't get the sound I like.
It's more than just a one-pickup guitar to get this sound. It's the amp, they type of pickup, the wood of the guitar, etc. The amp should be a Marshall type -- I have heard that a Pevey 5150/6505 can produce a good approximation, and an even better one if you swap in Celestion Greenbacks. I have also head recordings of a Marshall AVT 50 head that nailed the tone, using a Peavey Wolfgang.

If you are looking for the tone from the early albums, most of the recording was done with two guitars -- an early Ibanez Destroyer that was reportedly made of korina wood (there is some dispute to this -- others say it was ash), or the fabled Frankenstein, which used a two part ash body, vintage Strat trem with an angled PAF humbucker, maple fretboard, and brass nut. These aren't the only ones he used, but those are the main ones. One key here is that he used a hard wood with a not terribly hot pickup to get the tone. It's not impossible to do it the other way, but this will make it easier.

Another key was his use of the MXR 90 phaser -- an old "script" phaser -- on solos. You can buy his model, which is pretty good. I have head that BYOC has an amazing phaser that sounds even warmer, but I got a good deal on the EVH Phase 90, and I didn't have to wire it myself.

For more on this, you might want to check out this link -- these guys have a lot of time and effort into nailing this tone: http://halen.com/evh/index.php?name=...d2523d89109627
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 01:50 PM

Get a real man's guitar, an Ibanez PM 100!
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 02:04 PM

If you want something Van Halen-ish, just get a Strat with a humbucker in the bridge. There's absolutely nothing special about the guitar Eddie used on those first records. If you want the whole one-pickup vibe, you already have your suggestions.

+1 for the Gunslinger. If you don't want to hunt around for one, and just want one off the rack, that's probably the way to go. If you look over the specs, they're a pretty good deal:

http://www.bcrich.com/gunslinger_retro.asp
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 04:26 PM

Reviews: 15

Hello Kitty Strat

Tags
baretta , evh , single pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode