Best 7-string for $300 - Newbie is looking for an entry-leve - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2001, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Best 7-string for $300 - Newbie is looking for an entry-leve

I'm a classical guitar player who's always wanted an electric (specifically, a 7-string electric!) and I'm finally ready to make the plunge. *I'm looking for a 7-string for around $300, though I could spend more if I was convinced I was getting a really sweet deal and that it was worth the extra $$$...

I don't have a particular musical style I'm looking to specialize in (yet), so I definitely want a guitar that will be versatile for a lot of different sounds. *Quality of construction and sound & sustain is a lot more important than what the guitar looks like. *Also since I'm used to the super-wide neck of a nylon string guitar, I'm not concerned about the width of the 7-string neck... *I kinda like the idea of a 27" or 27 1/2" scale, because I do like to downtune (even on my classical :-).

I see TONS and TONS of cheap 7-strings on eBay...Epiphone Les Paul's, Jay Turser JT-700, Ibanez 7221, Schlecter, Danelectro. *It's a bit overwhelming. *Any pointers?

Eric
PS: I'm kinda looking to buy online ... since I know nothing about electric guitars and sure as heck don't know how to play 'em, I'm a little intimidated about going into a guitar shop and being swarmed over by salespeople. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2001, 04:56 AM

Best 7-string for $300

If you can spend $400 then there are two models I would recommend, the Ibanez rg7421(on clearence for $399 at www.americanmusical.com) and the Ibanez ax7221 and they are $399 everywhere. The rg7 has a thinner neck then the ax7 and the ax7 is mahagany where the rg7 is basswood. Both are fixed bridge which will make them easier to string then a guitar with a locking trem.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2001, 08:27 AM

Best 7-string for $300

Out here in DC Guitar Center has been running promos for the Fender Stagemaster 7 string. *It's being sold for $99.00 this weekend.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2001, 11:15 AM

Best 7-string for $300

I would stay away from the Fenders. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. and putting them up for 99$ proves that point. their pieces of crap..thank you. Take all of Noodles advice as thats the exact same thing I'd say. RG7421 or AX7221. If your looking for a "nice" 7 -string thats got awesome value for the money, (not like some 3,000$ PRS) go Ibanez.

oh by the way, you mentioned the 27 inch scale. well thats gonna shoot you right out of the 400 dollar price range. but if somehow you got more money and were really set on getting a 27 inch 7 string, remember that you already have a low B on there. when you say your use to "downtuning" on your nylon string guitar, how far? Im assuming maybe D or Db right? 7's already are lower then that. and i would think if your not going lower then B then 25 i/2 fits fine. but hey its all personal preference

chris
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2001, 11:25 AM

Best 7-string for $300

I tried out the stagemaster 7 today....not bad not bad at all. I mean for that kind of price I'm not expecting universe anything....but it was more than I expected out of it. The neck is pretty comfy...not like the other poor attempts of a share of the 7 string pie. The pickups are quite lacking, muddy they are, but with some tender loving tweaking, I'm sure you can achieve a good sound.

Aesthically speaking the finish is, dare I say it; flawless, if I'm not wrong it was a sparkle type finish. Nice.

But I didn't get a chance to check out the Floyd Trem though

Chris.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2001, 07:02 PM

Best 7-string for $300

I have an RG 7420 and i love it man!! *The neck is dreamy especially if you have small hands like i do I havn't had any problem with the trem as far as tuning is concerned i actually find it stays in tune better than my Lo-Pro on my Yami (i think thats because it needs some tlc though)hehe i hate the screw in bar on the trs:angryfire: the pups are ok ...not near as nice as the Tone Zone that i have in the Yamaha:biggrin: but hey what do you expect for this kind of money...like Chris your not getting a Universe for this price lol. Try a couple different ones out at your local guitar shop...but as far as bang for your buck goes Ibanez is the only way to go.

Alden
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2001, 09:21 PM

Best 7-string for $300

I played one of these in the store the other day and thought for the $$$ they were excellent.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ex/sh...231?pid=518587
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2001, 12:38 AM

Best 7-string for $300

There is a line of guitars here at Axe music called Phil guitars. *Someone told me that they were made by Ibanez, a sister company of some sort, I don't really know, don't take my word for it. *But they build a 7 string, both hardtail and trem equipped for around $400 Canadian, ( about $250 US) and they are nearly identical to the Ibanez RG 7's. *of course, the workmanship isn't as high, and the pickups probably aren't UV standard quality, but they do play very very well, and for the price, they are a great deal IMO.
I can give you the phone number for axe music in Calgary Alberta if you want more info on the Phil line of guitars
Jeremy
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2001, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Best 7-string for $300

My budget is somewhat flexible, but I still have a budget. *I always like to find that "sweet spot" where you're talking about significantly better quality than the cheap stuff but below the point where the price starts to go up exponentially with the quality. *So I've been sold on an Ibanez...

Does anyone care to discuss the 742x vs the 762x? *I know the latter would push me up towards $500 but I could at least consider it. *My understanding was that the only real difference was the pickups ... but I've also heard that the 762X doesn't have "real" DiMarzio's anyway, that they're made by someone else and labeled DiMarzio, so -- what gives?

Also, I know this is totally a personal preference thing, but I'm trying to decide between a trem and hardtail ... how much of a pain is the trem, really?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2001, 04:20 PM

Best 7-string for $300

The pickups on the 762x's are made by DiMarzio but they are made only for Ibanez and can't be bought. Also another difference between the 7620 and the 7420 is their trems. The 7620's has a much better feel and less tuning problems. If your gonna be trying different tunnings alot then your gonna want a fixed bridge model. The only big difference between the 7621 and the 7421 is the pickups. Good luck.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2001, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Best 7-string for $300

Sweet. *Thanks guys. *Sounds like the 7421 is the guitar for me. *If I ever get sick of the pickups I can always upgrade them later...

Now I just gotta find one at a good price, and figure out which practice tube amp I want (and can afford :-). *But that's another topic.

Thanks again!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2001, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Best 7-string for $300

One more thing... Does anyone think I have a good chance
of finding a 7421 used at a good price? *The $399 new at
musiciansfriend seems tough to beat, though it doesn't
include a case...
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2001, 09:20 PM

Best 7-string for $300

for used you'll probaly pay $275-400, and since it lists for $749, $400 from MF is a good deal.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2001, 09:58 PM

Best 7-string for $300

Try ebay.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2001, 07:28 AM

Best 7-string for $300

Forget about the case, just get it, you can allways get a case from somewhere else, or just get a case from americanmusical & you don't have to get a tube amp, cuz if you're on a budget as you sayed, the new Marshall AVT series gets raving rewievs everywhere, but then all major companies do, when they launch a new product, peavey prowler is all tube i hear, also consider the hughes & kettner models, there is a guy at the harmony central, ed de genarro, wich has a company that makes this small tube amp, that u can change tubes at will in it & can get all sorts of sounds, without getting deaf

Tags
electric guitar , epiphone les paul , fixed bridge , fixed bridge model , floyd trem , guitar shop , les paul , local guitar shop , marshall avt , tone zone , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode