Best Acoustic? - What's best? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Best Acoustic? - What's best?

Yeah Ice Cream.
Yeah I will try before I buy.

But. In the mid-price range what is the best electro-acoustic?
I don't want a dreadnought type.
I want some thing that is comfortable to hold and play, with a neck that is as close to as playable as an electric.
A reasonable pick up would be nice.

I like the look of Ovations, but have always found Yamaha equipment to be good quality for the money.

Any advice?

Thanks

Guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 08:05 PM

Best Acoustic?

Taylor.

Not for the faint of heart tho.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 08:22 PM

Best Acoustic?

Love my Taylor 412CE. *You want a "12" model - that's the small body size, and a "CE", which is the pickup models. *So, a 312ce or 412ce for $1000-1200. *Or, for $1700 & up, a 512ce, 712ce, 812ce. *Those have a blender system with an internal mic and fishman piezo. *Best amped acoustic sound I've played - too bad I couldn't afford it... :-(

The other small bodies - Ibanez, Ovation, Epiphone, (even Guild) etc. always had a tinny sound to me. *The small Taylors miss some Dreadnaught *bass, but are still sweet sounding.

The Martins and Tacomas may be as good - I dunno.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 08:28 PM

Best Acoustic?

The 12 means small? Hrm. I thought it was the C. I have a K-14C thats the small body.

I'm pretty sure it's the C and not the 12.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 08:59 PM

Best Acoustic?

Ditto on Taylors. *I'd go for a 314CE or 414CE (or higher if you have the $$). *The _14 is the concert body, normal body depth. *The _12 (312, 412, etc.) body has a shallower body depth (a bit thinner tone). *These also have a wider fretboard and slightly smaller neck than the dreds.

C = cutaway
E = electronics

http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/models/300.html

The Yamaha CPX line plays great...the fretboard is a bit narrow for fingerpicking, but otherwise very nice.
Greg
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 10:56 PM

Best Acoustic?

I have a Taylor 510. This is the first acoustic I have kept for any length of time. My Ovation didn't last long.

You know guitars are like ice cream. You really should try before you buy.

Rick

(ducks and runs away to another discussion)
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 11:23 PM

Best Acoustic?

The higher line _12 models don't increase the fretboard width - the 812, for example. *Another reason I'd have liked that one...
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 12:04 AM

Best Acoustic?

Has anyone played an Ibanez Talman (TCY10 or TCY25)? I like their slim body and thin, low-action neck. I wonder how they sound accoustically?

Does anyone ever play Ibanez accoustic??? Except for Paul Gilbert?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 07:47 AM

Best Acoustic?

A friend of mine has what I think is a Talman (although I'm now questioning myself) , and it's a real nice sounding acoustic (this wasn't an electro)
The neck is very thin and really comfortable and also the action is a lot lower than standard production acoustics.
It was damn loud from what I remember and had a nice clarity on the low strings and not too sharp and whiny on the highs.

Obviously most people will say "Taylor" or "Martin" and if you're into acoutstic that much then go get one (though from the very few I've played I prefer Takamine's and Lowden's), but personally I just can't justify spending that amount of money (ludicrous amount I should add, especially in the U.K. market) on a guitar that wouldn't see the same amount of play-time as an electric.

gl with the search

Steve
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 08:12 AM

Best Acoustic?

I picked up a Talman "acoustic" a few weeks ago...and promptly put it down. *It may be OK plugged in, but it was definitely acoustically-challenged...at least this one was.
Greg
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 07:13 PM

Best Acoustic?

A friend & I played a Rainsong at WMC, a month ago, or so. What an incredible instrument. It's totally composite NO wood! Very nice tone, and quite loud, unplugged. I recommend checking one out, if you can.

Web Site
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 10:44 PM

Best Acoustic?

I've quite enjoyed the Yamaha APX series. Nice neck, nice sound, not too big and "folky" looking.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 12:03 AM

Best Acoustic?

What about the Carvin that Vai uses? *I think it has a great neck joint, 24 jumbo frets with easy access, and it is extremely thin. *It's not a dreadnought sound, but then again, you didn't ask for one. *I bet it plays wonderful if you set it up right.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 12:19 AM

Best Acoustic?

When we had a used Godin come into our store, I picked it up and was sold on it immediately. *It is the closest thing to an "electric guitar feel" that I have played. *It has a cutout, excellent sound and the bridge seems to sit about where an electric guitar bridge would. *Very low and comfortable. *Of course, they are nylon strings but the sound is beautiful. *Not sure if Godin makes steel string acoustic/electrics, but I highly recommend sitting down with one and experiencing the feel and sound. *Oh yeah, these guitars don't have soundholes, but still but out a nice amount of acoustic volume.

http://www.godinguitars.com/intro.html
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Best Acoustic?

Thanks for the tips.
I don't play acoustic all that often, and so I can't justify spending more than about £500. I think the Japanese guitars are probably priced more competitively over here in the UK than the American ones-that might influence my decision.

Guy

Tags
electric guitar , ibanez talman , jumbo frets , low strings , neck joint , nylon strings , paul gilbert , string acoustic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode