Best aftermarket 7 string pickups? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Best aftermarket 7 string pickups?

I am new to the 7 string guitar - but was wondering who makes a excellent 7 string replacement pickup - like EMG, Seymour Duncan or Dimarzio and which is the best for which type of music?
I play mostly heavy, speed/power metal and need clarity, but like great tone too - and a relatively quiet pickup. Anyone?

www.Crypticvisions.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 09:37 AM

the tone zone 7 and evo7 are 2 that are very popular on this site. if you have an ibanez 7 string, you'll have to get the pickup route redone for an emg7, as they are larger than the routes...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 10:02 AM

The 707 sounds nice, but as stated requires rerouting. I like the evo7 in the bridge of my 2027 which has a nice clear defined sound with gain. I don't really like the PAF7 to be honest, maybe I am missing something there, but it's a bit bland.

a Seymour Duncan JB7(bridge) with a Jazz7 in the neck seems to be another nicew choise

I still quite like blazeIIs , they are quite nice and dirty , very metal indeed
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 10:09 AM

The problem with EMGs, aside from having to do routing to install the 707s, is that they tend to sound very sterile. The great thing about them is that they're very high output and very quiet. However every guitar with EMGs I've played (and I own one with EMGs...I regret putting them in) sounds almost like an electronic approxomation of what said instrument should sound like. It sounds like they engineered a sound and used the pickup as a vehicle for them.

I'm a big fan of Dimarzios...most of them....and I think I've probably got at least one of each of their line of 7 string pickups hanging in guitars on my wall now.

The TZ7 and the PAF7 are my faves. The PAFs have a very timeless sound. With some torking they can go from a very classic LP sound to all out killer. The TZ7s are great for the opposite reason; they're all out all the time....but sound great together.

Unlike more than a few here I greatly dislike the Evo7s. I just find them lacking tonally and are almost too "predictable" sonically. They sound a little tame and lack low end for me. They do have plenty of output but I'd much rather have something else given the chance.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Dying Trees
I don't really like the PAF7 to be honest, maybe I am missing something there, but it's a bit bland.
You might want to consider the Air Norton 7 in the neck. It may be what you're looking for, plus you can send it back to MiRep (the UK distie) and exchange for another unit if it isn't what you're looking for.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 11:25 AM

An alternative that I'm really happy with is the Muy Grande from Rio Grande. The clean tones in the neck poition are outstanding.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 03:12 PM

I give you my vote for the EMG 707.
I put one in my RG7420. Yes, it did require some routing. But nothing a dremel couldn't handle really. Just take your time and don't forget to make room for the wire harness underneath the pickup.

It really depends on your style of music though. If you are into metal and such, it is great. Nice and clean with not a lot of noise or interference. I do hear what some people call the "sterile" or "artificial" sound. There is a certain frequency up in the 1.6-3khz range that is a little annoying but it is nothing that a good GE-7 EQ pedal can't handle. Just drop a touch and you are good to go. The GE-7 was one of the best bangs for my buck for sure. It's super nice to record with too and sounds great through a POD. I'm recording my band's album right now and I have some great results with it. I can post a link sometime if you want to hear a sample.

They are active pickups and require a 9 volt battery. But it will usually go for months and months before it goes dead (remember not to leave your chord plugged into the guitar). I think I've only used 2 batteries in one year. You also have to replace your potentiometers for volume and tone as well. But this is no big deal. They come with the pickup.

EMG's tech support was great. They sent me a custom wiring diagram especially for my guitar that helped me get it done faster.

When all was said and done, the 707 improved my sound over the ****ty stock pickup by about 10,000%. It was worth my time and money for sure.

Tags
air norton , clean tone , seymour duncan , string pickup , string pickups , tone zone , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode