Best CHEAP NEW RG? - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 06:23 AM

Re: Best CHEAP NEW RG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendog View Post
I want to pick up a cheap (low end) but NEW RG. There seem to be quite a few $299-$399 options.

What is my best bet?

Thanks!
whoa... duuuuude.... NOOOO!!!

$400 can get you ANY pre-Prestige moniker Japanese RG, just about (and some prestiges too)... and the prestige moniker was JUST a marketing gimmick, when they converted stuff like MIJ RG570 >> Prestige 1570, they didn't change ANYTHING about it at all. just made it so that all japanese models became 4-digit to look waaay more expensive (and charge more), while quietly shipping the mid-end to Korea and the low-end to IndoChina

...srsly, why why why settle for lo-end $400, when you can get what used to be the absolute top of the line? And isn't very far from today's top of the line either, I might add

PS if you're worried about durability of "used old gear", a 20yo MIJ is faaaaar more likely to give you another 20 years without trouble than an IndoChina model is to live even 5 years without everything bugging out on you. These things aren't like cars, they're more like... i dunno... rifles or swords. Few moving parts, so workmanship & material quality is what counts. Good wood and proper alloys cast/machined precisely last like forever. Old Japanese stuff lasts. Ex: I've taken apart 30-40 yo MIJ guitars to find perfect uncorroded screws, every one of em - and had every second pickguard or tuner screw on cheap 2000s Korean stuff try to come apart, occasionally to the point where you have to drill em out (MAJOR pita).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adieu View Post
whoa... duuuuude.... NOOOO!!!

$400 can get you ANY pre-Prestige moniker Japanese RG, just about (and some prestiges too)... and the prestige moniker was JUST a marketing gimmick, when they converted stuff like MIJ RG570 >> Prestige 1570, they didn't change ANYTHING about it at all. just made it so that all japanese models became 4-digit to look waaay more expensive (and charge more), while quietly shipping the mid-end to Korea and the low-end to IndoChina

...srsly, why why why settle for lo-end $400, when you can get what used to be the absolute top of the line? And isn't very far from today's top of the line either, I might add

PS if you're worried about durability of "used old gear", a 20yo MIJ is faaaaar more likely to give you another 20 years without trouble than an IndoChina model is to live even 5 years without everything bugging out on you. These things aren't like cars, they're more like... i dunno... rifles or swords. Few moving parts, so workmanship & material quality is what counts. Good wood and proper alloys cast/machined precisely last like forever. Old Japanese stuff lasts. Ex: I've taken apart 30-40 yo MIJ guitars to find perfect uncorroded screws, every one of em - and had every second pickguard or tuner screw on cheap 2000s Korean stuff try to come apart, occasionally to the point where you have to drill em out (MAJOR pita).
beacuse it "used to be", not is. an old beater mercedes is still a beater, no matter the name tag on it.
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 07:39 PM

Reviews: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandnor View Post
beacuse it "used to be", not is. an old beater mercedes is still a beater, no matter the name tag on it.
Not really a fair comparison--cars are exposed to enormous temperature extremes, nasty weather, and tend to be driven by people who don't know what they're doing. You can pretty easily find a well-taken-care-of and loved mid-90s RG5xx for between $300 and $400. This year alone, I've bought a '97 RG570SS ($305 bid), a '99 RG570GN ($300 even), a near-mint '92 RG570PN ($300), and a very good '97 S540FMTT (and $425).

There's no reason to buy sub-par Indo or Korean junk when great guitars are still out there to be had at great prices.
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 07:54 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7vwh View Post
Not really a fair comparison--cars are exposed to enormous temperature extremes, nasty weather, and tend to be driven by people who don't know what they're doing.
Well, actually that is a completely fair comparison! Guitars are also at times exposed to temperature extremes, nasty weather and played by people who don't know what they are doing.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/ho...sd-127703.html
Case in point!
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 08:29 PM

Reviews: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Well, actually that is a completely fair comparison! Guitars are also at times exposed to temperature extremes, nasty weather and played by people who don't know what they are doing.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/ho...sd-127703.html
Case in point!
I get the humor, but it's not typically the same at all. Cars sit in rain, snow, and mud. They are regularly operated across a vast temperature range.

Unless you're buying from a gigging musician, most guitars stay in climate-controlled homes and they are rarely exposed to much more than a little sweat. Plus, it's clear from the vintage market that 20 years is just getting started for a high quality electric guitar.

So if you really want to compare buying a vintage guitar with a vintage car, compare apples to apples. Would you feel comfortable buying a car that has rarely left a climate controlled garage, rarely had anything spilled on it but a few drops of sweat, and never been operated in temperatures colder than 40 degrees or hotter than 95?
post #21 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 08:42 PM

Again, it is quite the same. Do most houses have complete climate control?

Sure the extremes aren't quite as extreme, but cars are made to be used in the outdoors. Guitars can and do go through these extremes, and people don't look after their guitars. Just like some people may not look after their cars. Sure the scale is different, but the general comparison is the same.
post #22 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 02:11 AM

I played an RG2EX when I was visiting friends in Philadelphia and it was a really nice guitar for the money. I almost 'pulled the trigger' (I like that) on one but didn't want to have to shlep it back to WV with all my other crap. The V7-V8 pickups didn't sound bad to me, but not the greatest either. I'm pretty new to all this though.
The RG421 is puuuuuurdy! I haven't heard the INF pickups, but from what I've read here; they'll need to be replaced as they sound like crapola. But again, I've never heard one so, what do I know?
post #23 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 07:43 AM

INFs are underrated imo. They offer a clear, professional sound. Just without the cheesy dimarzio mids or the seymour duncan top end sparkle. so you dont get that signature sound of those brands but you do get a quality sound to work with for the rest of your chain.
post #24 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7vwh View Post
I get the humor, but it's not typically the same at all. Cars sit in rain, snow, and mud. They are regularly operated across a vast temperature range.

Unless you're buying from a gigging musician, most guitars stay in climate-controlled homes and they are rarely exposed to much more than a little sweat. Plus, it's clear from the vintage market that 20 years is just getting started for a high quality electric guitar.

So if you really want to compare buying a vintage guitar with a vintage car, compare apples to apples. Would you feel comfortable buying a car that has rarely left a climate controlled garage, rarely had anything spilled on it but a few drops of sweat, and never been operated in temperatures colder than 40 degrees or hotter than 95?
And to add to this - a lot of these old japanese axes have paint jobs that chip easily, even in home conditions. and the edge trems do wear out, so that is that. plus kids possibly running around the house of the already aging group of people that tends to own these axes, adding additional hazards to their condiiton.
post #25 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
And to add to this - a lot of these old japanese axes have paint jobs that chip easily, even in home conditions. and the edge trems do wear out, so that is that. plus kids possibly running around the house of the already aging group of people that tends to own these axes, adding additional hazards to their condiiton.
Heck, it seems the new Japanese 'axes' have paint jobs that chip easily.
When I got my 2009 1550 it had a chip in the lower horn on the front, no big deal, but I just put one in it on the back edge by simply tapping it with the tip of a guitar chord. WHAAAA!!!! (That was a Lucile Ball impression, by the way )
My boyfriend says though, "If you're going to play it, it's going to get scratched and chipped... if you want it to stay pristine; leave it in its case or encase it in plastic."
And he's correct.
post #26 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 06:49 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
INFs are underrated imo. They offer a clear, professional sound. Just without the cheesy dimarzio mids or the seymour duncan top end sparkle. so you dont get that signature sound of those brands but you do get a quality sound to work with for the rest of your chain.
Quote:

Just getting my bearings here. You think that INF's are under rated, but used MIJ RG 5xx/7xx guitars are over-rated and sub-par to today's Indo stuff. This is because they're used, is that correct?

BTW...... I've never seen an Edge "wear out". Studs do, but in my experience, not the trems themselves
post #27 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Just getting my bearings here. You think that INF's are under rated, but used MIJ RG 5xx/7xx guitars are over-rated and sub-par to today's Indo stuff. This is because they're used, is that correct?

BTW...... I've never seen an Edge "wear out". Studs do, but in my experience, not the trems themselves
lol... a person calling themselves an RG fanatic who thinks the MIJ early 90s RG 7xx is overrated? that was THE rg, dude. not according to us, but according to, oh i dunno, the ibanez catalog??

as to fujigen stuff, 20 years is NOTHING. forget the 90s, in the last year I've had puuuurfect fujigens from the 80s, and fujigens from the EARLY 70s with no bigger issue than a dried up potentiometer (yes the even the cosmetics were still gorgeous. and that gotoh-built hardware last 40 years easy without A SINGLE SPECK)

...come to think of it, the WORST fujigen I've ever seen was a mid-2000s RR3 --- and there was nothing wrong wth it whatsoever. the only bad thing about this "worst" guitar was that I didn't feel any charm exuding from it.
post #28 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 02:37 AM

RGT was referring to this post that nandor started.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/rg...ed-119275.html

He wasn't actually stating that he thinks they are over-rated, he was restating what nandor said, trying to figure out his train of thought.
Sorry, English minor and the way he constructed the sentence tells us that it's not his thought, it's someone's thought that he needs clarified.
post #29 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adieu View Post
lol... a person calling themselves an RG fanatic who thinks the MIJ early 90s RG 7xx is overrated? that was THE rg, dude. not according to us, but according to, oh i dunno, the ibanez catalog??

as to fujigen stuff, 20 years is NOTHING. forget the 90s, in the last year I've had puuuurfect fujigens from the 80s, and fujigens from the EARLY 70s with no bigger issue than a dried up potentiometer (yes the even the cosmetics were still gorgeous. and that gotoh-built hardware last 40 years easy without A SINGLE SPECK)

...come to think of it, the WORST fujigen I've ever seen was a mid-2000s RR3 --- and there was nothing wrong wth it whatsoever. the only bad thing about this "worst" guitar was that I didn't feel any charm exuding from it.
Yeah I think you might need to re-read his post. He was responding to someone who clearly doesn't know what they are talking about.
post #30 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Yeah I think you might need to re-read his post. He was responding to someone who clearly doesn't know what they are talking about.
Yeah, what he said... oh wait; I said it first, only with more words. LOL

Tags
cheap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode