The best guitar that my budget can buy? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

The best guitar that my budget can buy?

First, sorry for my english, I have a really bad GAS attack, I have aprox. a$900 budget, I want a very good guitar, in fact, the best guitar that $900 can buy, I know that the best choice is the 20th, but I already have one, a beautiful RG20th RFR, so I don't need another one.

The problem is that I live in Venezuela (South America), and for that, I can't test many guitars, only few ones and sadly no the best ones. So I'm asking for your experience and knowledge to help me.

I'm into music recording, in many styles, rock, metal, blues, latin, jazz, etc. so I need a very versatile guitar, my preferences are: fixed bridge, 24, frets, humbucker for bridge, lightweight and thin neck (wizard I, II or equivalent). any additions or modifications to these preferences will not affect my decision.*I'm looking for a superior performance guitar

I'm a Ibanez fan, but I'm open to others brands if meets a decent standards of quality and playability.

What you think?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 06:33 PM

Re: The best guitar that my budget can buy?

my vote goes for Ibanez RGA121 NTF
it has a humbucker, it has a maple top, it has a wizI neck, it has 24 frets, and it has a fixed bridge.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 06:51 PM

Sometimes on the 'Bay some really nice, interesting RG's pop up. I'd wait and try to get one of those.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 07:22 PM

+1 to the RGA, also if you ever come across one, the Prestige RG2020X would be a good guitar for you considering all the different styles of music that you play. The piezo would be alot of fun to play with. But, the RGA is still a killer guitar, just change the pickups.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 09:20 PM

RGA is awesome
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 09:23 PM

A used Carvin DC series.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 10:15 PM

Reviews: 18

Or you could get one of the SA Series guitars to give you more versatility like this SA2160FM

http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=SA2160FM#

Jimmy
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 11:57 PM

Reviews: 120

What about used PGM301?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredderJoshW View Post
...the RGA is still a killer guitar, just change the pickups.
Yes, the RGA seems like a good choice, the only problem is that I read in several reviews that is almost mandatory to change the pickups, and after buying it plus the shipment to my country, I would be absolutely in the bankruptcy!, without money to buy it new PUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrie View Post
A used Carvin DC series.
What about Carvin's?? I don't know, I never play one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
What about used PGM301?
That would be my dream come true, i'm the biggest fan of PG in my country, he signed my 20thRFR, but it's so hard to find a good shape PGM301 with that price ($900)
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 01:51 AM

A carvin DC is very close to a Jackson neck-through. Carvins are fantastic guitars, but since each one is custom ordered, there is no demand for a certain model, which leads to really low used prices. The necks are just a little bit thicker than a modern JEM neck.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 09:55 AM
Dee

Carvin is a good suggestion.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valdex View Post
That would be my dream come true, i'm the biggest fan of PG in my country, he signed my 20thRFR, but it's so hard to find a good shape PGM301 with that price ($900)
Its funny because in the UK a PGM 301 is about £650 and a 20th is about £850.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 10:08 AM

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_deluxe_ec.html

These are amazing guitars for the money, and in the US go for around $800 new. They come with EMGs or Duncans standard

I also advocate the Ibanez RG121, but I'd probably swap the pickups in it if I were buying it for myself. What is it with ibanez and crappy pickups?

http://www.schecterguitars.com/spec.asp?id=18

The build quality on these seems very consistant, I've played several of them in the past year. Very solid construction and very playable, SD pickups in them out of the box. $550

There are several more equivilant models in your range from schecter, with either EMGs or Duncans standard.

Good luck!
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 10:54 AM

You might be able to put a "Tremol-No" or other tremolo block onto a standard Ibanez RG and get a nice fixed bridge guitar for not that much money.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 01:51 PM

If you want something that's a little bit unusual, check out the B.C Rich Exotic Classic Bich 10. The 10 string is like a 12 string, but the A and E are not doubled. The 6 string version is mighty impressive too.

As Bahmut said, any of the LTD-1000 series are great. I've got a MH-1000 and it's a fantastic guitar.

Hope this helps

Rock on!

Tags
charvel model , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , high output pickups , ibanez rga , jem neck , killer guitar , output pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode