Best Guitar for Shred? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Best Guitar for Shred?

Ok, for my next guitar purchase, I want a guitar that features nice mids and punchy bass, primarily for shredding and speed metal. I already have my blues sounds covered via my Strat.

I prefer:
-basswood or alder body
-24 fret maple neck
-rosewood fretboard
-Floyd Rose type tremolo system (locking nut too)
-H/S/S or H/S/H pickup configuration
-no Jacksons (bad experiences)

I was looking at the JEM7VSBL as seen here

To me, that thing looks beautiful, but I can't find it for sale anywhere. Would I be better off getting a custom Carvin instead? They have really nice custom options.

I would love to get a JEM, but I don't really like any of the current models availabe (White or Rock Mirror), as I don't want a guitar that Vai currently uses. I want to be somewhat unique.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Wade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 11:20 PM
Gex

Re: Best Guitar for Shred?

Yer kiddin, right?

A Jem is probably the FINEST instrument for shred playing.

And, it can do the blues thing too! That single coil makes all the difference.

I rock out the blues all the time with my two HSH RG550's.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 11:54 PM

Does it really matter?? Meaning is it really the guitar> or the player? I bought myself all sorts of guitars and still can not do it.

Others play Gibsons, Fenders

http://video.google.com/videosearch?...ic+Academy+%22

While others Ibanez's or Jacksons.

I think it doesn't matter at all, if its a decent instrument.
post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 12:20 AM

I have a 2002 VSBL and I love it. It's great for shredding. If you watch evilbay or this forum, one will pop up soon. They are discontinued so you can't buy them new anymore.

But as others have stated, it's the player not the guitar. Some people, like myself, find it difficult to shred on a tune-o-matic style bridge that a lot of gibsons have, but Buckethead seems to be able to shred on his Les Paul just fine.

Carvin makes some really sweet guitars, however, I believe that they have custom sized pickups so it will be difficult to swap them for something else if you ever want to. I could be wrong on this point.

Also, if you like the VSBL, you might want to find one of these at a local guitar shop:

It's a Parker Nite-Fly. I have one and they rock.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 12:25 AM

I would agree that if it's a decent instrument then the rest is in the hands of the player. Personally, I would look at the RG2xxx and 3xxx series guitars because they are very nice and can be total shred machines. JEMs are awesome guitars but a bit overpriced IMO and I was never a fan of the EVO pickups. For about half the price of a JEM you can get an RG2xxx guitar and if you don't like the stock Dimarzio IBZ pickups you can always swap em for some name Dimarzios or SDs or even EMGs if that's your thing.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 12:32 AM

some people actually can shred on an acoustic too.... no 24 frets, no locking trem.... it's the player not the guitar
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 12:35 AM

As they have all stated above, it's more of the player that finds a particular guitar for easy shredding. Vai uses Jems, Malmsteen uses Fender, Schon uses Les Pauls and PRS's, and Tony McAlpine shred pretty good on a Carvin. If you don't want a guitar that Vai currently uses, wait 'till next month when they bring back the DBK. Or if you want something unique and what Vai doesn't currently use, check this out:

Definitely something worth checking out.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

I could feel these responses coming on, lol.

Yes, yes, I know 99% of it has to do with the player, but besides that fact, which guitar has the best features (Floyd Rose, 24 frets, basswood body, etc) most commonly seen on shred guitars?

But yeah, that 7 string looks nice. I'll check it out too.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 02:27 AM

when i think of a shred guitar, i think of a somewhat "broken in" ibanez rg5xx. while i prefer the models with the maple fingerboards, they've got rosewood also. i guitar that you can drop, not care, and flatpick the sh*t out of is my choice.
also, used rg's aren't hard to come by, so they're usually affordable (general statement; no ee**** nerd disagreements please )
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 02:31 AM

You act as if you can't shred on any instrument. Anything works as long as you can play. Seems like you're talking about a JEM when it comes to features. There is no best; it all depends on the player's preference. If you want a new guitar that no one else in the world is using, good luck with that. Might as well create your own guitar. By the way, did you ever think of getting a used guitar? Hell, a used UV is still a UV! Well, good luck kiddo.
-Nordhauser
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

I know that it is almost impossible to obtain a guitar that no one else is using, I just stated that I would rather not have a guitar that Vai is currently using.

As far as buying used goes, that is the probable route I was leaning towards anyways, as you cannot buy the VSBL brand new anymore.

I appreciate the help guys, but I just want to ley you know that I do NOT think that a certain guitar will make you play better. My reference to "shredding" was that I wanted a guitar with features seen on guitars that shredders, like Vai, use (ie - locking tremolo system, basswood body, etc).

Thanks
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 03:40 PM
Gex

You guys are silly!

Nobody ever suggested the guitar would play itself for you, OF COURSE buying a "shred" guitar aint gonna make you shred. Only years of dedicated practice will do that.

Its just that, a JEM or RG is gonna be a more suitable tool for the job (bustin' out the speed metal) than, say, a Les Paul or Stratocaster. Sure, you can do it with those, and probably get the job done just as good, but its not the BEST tool you could use.

IMO, for high gain, high speed playing, nothing can match a good, JEM, PGM, or RG.

(although, you said you dont like jacksons, but have you ever played the Phil CollENs ( ) signature? I dont care much for Jacksons either, but GAWD! that thing is incredible!)

Last edited by Gex; 12-27-2005 at 07:49 PM.
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 03:47 PM

sounds like an rg would be your best choice, given your situation, i picked up a used one for $220 and i can shred away all day long.
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gex
You guys are silly!

Nobody ever suggested the guitar would play itself for you, OF COURSE buying a "shred" guitar aint gonna make you shred. Only years of dedicated practice will do that.

Its just that, a JEM or RG is gonna be a more suitable tool for the job (bustin' out the speed metal) than, say, a Les Paul or Stratocaster. Sure, you can do it with those, and probably get the job done just as good, but its not the BEST tool you could use.

IMO, for high gain, high speed playing, nothing can match a good, JEM, PGM, or RG.

(although, you said you dont like jacksons, but have you ever played the Phil Collins signature? I dont care much for Jacksons either, but GAWD! that thing is incredible!)
Phil Collen -Collins plays drums
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Gex, that was the point I was trying to get across.

Tags
alder body , basswood body , coil tap , dimarzio ibz , direct mounted pickups , evo pickups , fixed bridge , floyd rose , fret board , fret maple , fret maple neck , guitar shop , jackson soloist , les paul , les pauls , local guitar shop , locking nut , locking tremolo , mahogany body , maple fingerboard , maple fingerboards , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , mounted pickups , neck pup , phil collen , rosewood fretboard , shred guitars , shred machine , sounding guitar , tremolo system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode