Best HSS/SSS stratocasters under 200 GBP? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Best HSS/SSS stratocasters under 200 GBP?

Pretty much what it says on the tin. I'm looking to scratch my stratocaster itch. My last Strat-o-like guitar was a Farida - I strung it with 11s and the studs bulged out in the tremolo cavity, rendering it unplayable. Damn shame, because it was otherwise pretty great.

So what should I get to replace it? No need for it to be any kind of workhorse - it's for one thing, and one thing only - beating the **** out of, SRV style. Thick strings, big tone, bigger attitude.

If it can take 11's, or even 12s, I'm happy. But I don't want it to break like the Farida did.

(Note: For those of you who saw my previous thread asking for guitar advice, I bought the ESP LTD EC401VF. Most sustain of any guitar I've ever owned by miles)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Best HSS/SSS stratocasters under 200 GBP?

How Straty are you thinking? Strat clone or generic S style?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

The plan is to throw at least 12s on it eventually, and beat the actual crap out of it SRV style.

Ideally, big fat neck, big fat frets, flatter than vintage radius (hopefully a 12), 6 screw tremolo and beefy enough to take a ****load of string tension. Everything else is basically "the more SRV the better"
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 06:45 PM

Hi GB,

You could try a Sunn Mustang strat copy, licensed by Fender, made in India. It's the eighties model, not the other older 'classic' Fender version. Anyway, there's a bit of a following for that model even though back in the day it was considered a beginner's guitar. I still dig mine although I've gone and bought about twenty other guitars in the meantime. Takes a beating, sounds a lot like what you're looking for. If you need to use the tremolo that's the only thing you might need to change hardware wise. I believe they did come in both hss and sss configs.

Good luck and have fun!

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/su...g/forum/70136/

Last edited by GoodVaibes; 10-24-2014 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Added link for info
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
The plan is to throw at least 12s on it eventually, and beat the actual crap out of it SRV style.

Ideally, big fat neck, big fat frets, flatter than vintage radius (hopefully a 12), 6 screw tremolo and beefy enough to take a ****load of string tension. Everything else is basically "the more SRV the better"
Check :
ESP LTD ST-203,
ESP LTD ST-213,
Squier Classic vibe 50',
Squier classic vibe 60',
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post

FGN neo Classic. Cost anywhere from 600-800 depending where you go but the best Strats I've ever touched. They have HSS and SSS models, sound just like a regular stratocaster.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Update: After much looking around, I found that the Squier Classic Vibe strat is basically the closest I can get to an SRV "First Wife" strat for a reasonable amount of money. So I've bought one and it gets here tomorrow.

I don't doubt that the FGN Neo Classic is a great guitar, but I'm not really looking to spend that kind of money on something I fully intend to abuse the **** out of.

The classic vibe has the alder body, 3 tone sunburst, vintage tuners, 6 screw bridge, and a slightly thicker neck. Those are all winners for me.

Over time it might eventually get a black pickguard and a gold LH trem...but we'll see.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 08:43 AM

I'd recommend any one of the myriad of Squier Strats out there - all good value and decent quality guitars.

Mine was my first electric and I still have it 12 years on. The hardware's tough and the tone is decent. Also doesn't play too badly with a good setup either... I had 12's in E standard on it for a while and it handled it withot any issues! Now being sensible and back to 9s again.

Only thing I did was install a GraphTech nut after a year or so as the original was V'd and caused some tuning funnies.

Do Yamaha still make teh Pacifica and RGX series? They used to be great guitars too.

'87
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder87 View Post
I'd recommend any one of the myriad of Squier Strats out there - all good value and decent quality guitars.

Mine was my first electric and I still have it 12 years on. The hardware's tough and the tone is decent. Also doesn't play too badly with a good setup either... I had 12's in E standard on it for a while and it handled it withot any issues! Now being sensible and back to 9s again.

Only thing I did was install a GraphTech nut after a year or so as the original was V'd and caused some tuning funnies.

Do Yamaha still make teh Pacifica and RGX series? They used to be great guitars too.

'87
Yeah back in the day those Pacificas were like the only decent guitars on a budget, and an excellent choice for first guitars, my first guitar was Peavey strat clone (predator maybe?), red with a maple fingerboard, it was actually pretty good and i still regret selling it to this day.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafafas View Post
Yeah back in the day those Pacificas were like the only decent guitars on a budget, and an excellent choice for first guitars, my first guitar was Peavey strat clone (predator maybe?), red with a maple fingerboard, it was actually pretty good and i still regret selling it to this day.
I've actually been interested in trying out an RGX recently. Being in japan and all, you can find em most everywhere and they look like mean little guitars.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode