Best Ibanez overall? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Best Ibanez overall?

Hey!
Im looking for a new guitar for a bit heavy stuff, but I really have no clue on what guitar to buy. I have a Gibson SG Standard from before, but I want a guitar with string lock and a bridge much like the floyd rose. I play a lot of Iron Maiden ,Metallica and Joe Satriani stuff, and I would like it to sound good and be easy to play.
Do you have any suggestions? I want to spend a bit of money on this guitar, since im not a beginner.

-Magnus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 08:58 AM

Re: Best Ibanez overall?

RG550 or RG565, RG770
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 09:00 AM

Honestly, the S series is the best guitar in the world. RG has the cool pointy look but if you look at practical playability, comfort, weight and features, nothing beats the S. That is the truth, but because of the influence of Vai it has been overlooked
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Smile Re: Best Ibanez overall?

Which of the S then? Thanks for responses btw
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 11:08 AM

Wink Re: Best Ibanez overall?

Rg550 best bang for your buck. You scavenge the internet for a 20th or an old one.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 11:49 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusEngen View Post
Which of the S then? Thanks for responses btw
The S540 (older ones are called the 540s).

I've got a 540s, a 430sII (similar but with single coils, medium frets, and a nonlocking trem), and an RG570, and I'd have to disagree about the Ss being better, especially in playability and comfort. I like the RG body shape more; the S's side digs into my arm a bit and there's no nice big slope leading to the trem. Also, the RG's cutaways are extremely deep, which is nice.

That said, they both have the Wizard and original Edge/LoPro, so they're both going to play really well. And the stock IBZUSA pickups on the 540s are far better than the stock V-series pickups on the RGs. There are ridiculously cheap (<$300) deals on 540s guitars here from time to time.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 12:07 PM

How much are you looking to spend??
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 12:53 PM

Reviews: 4

I wouldn't say the S. It is very uncomfortable to me, to the point where I can't really play it. The SA, which is thicker, in my opinion would be better.

But I would have to say the best overall, is the RG5XX series as a whole. For me, I have a RG520QS. It is mahogany, some say that makes it better, but in my opinion, just different.
Many people like the RG550 because of the maple fingerboard and basswood body. Which is light weight, bright and even sounding. It also has a pick-guard, so it is front routed and has a more strat-like aesthetic.
People will often go to the RG570, which is the middle ground between the 550 and 520. It is rear routed (perhaps more modern looking in that regard), and has a rosewood fingerboard. The used value for the 570 is incredible (for buyers...) you can pick the up for as low as 200 USD.
Despite the prices being so low, I would easily put these up with the Jems. As long as you keep it set up well and like the pickups (a lot of used ones already have DiMarzios).
The 565/560 is a great option for people looking for a twist. They have a single in the neck. I have an RX60 (don't laugh), and loved having the single coil sound. When I got new pickups for my RG, I got a Fred for the neck, because it reminded me of a single coil.

Just my two cents.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 01:44 PM

Few things are better or more popular than the Ibanez RG Series. What actual RG becomes a point of personal preference and how much you want to spend. But nothing replaces the great design, playability, and proven track record. The RG for Ibanez is simply the Stratocaster to Fender or the Les Paul to Gibson.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
Few things are better or more popular than the Ibanez RG Series. What actual RG becomes a point of personal preference and how much you want to spend. But nothing replaces the great design, playability, and proven track record. The RG for Ibanez is simply the Stratocaster to Fender or the Les Paul to Gibson.
That's a great way of putting it.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 02:47 PM

550 is sweet, if you get a good used one or reissue in the 300-450 dollar range that's a good value.

I like the 570 and newer 1570 prestige as well.

Overall, that's a tough one but with a 550 I don't see the need for a pickup change and anything other than a setup so I'd go 550 without hesitation.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 02:48 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzUniverze View Post
Rg550 best bang for your buck. You scavenge the internet for a 20th or an old one.

I'm in this camp - I have a Jem, 2 prestige RG's and expensive strats and my '90 RG550 that I bought used for $450 is still my best overal guitar...plays great, sounds great and is a great value...you can find them used for about $400 or so. There's one on CL here in Vancouver for about $400...I realize you are in Oslo but my point is that they are out there to be found for good prices if you are willing to go with a used guitar, which I think is the way to go because new guitars, like new cars, seem to lose considerable value as soon as you leave the store. If you want to buy new then I would save up for a MIJ Prestige RG because they are excellent guitars too - but they are a lot more money...my 2 cents

Last edited by doriangrey; 05-24-2013 at 08:55 PM.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo72 View Post
That's a great way of putting it.
The funny thing is that I currently use an SG copy because I prefer it to the staple that is the Les Paul and/or Les Paul copies many others make especially since the SGs are lighter than the overweight Les Pauls. For the bolt on design electric it was all about tele for me, and I had a Fernandes copy of a blackguard, a Squier version, and four Fenders and preferred that over the strat types. And for Ibanez, I had some Blazers, some Roadstars, a Holdsworth, and currently an Artcore and have never owned the RG but I know that it's what most Ibanez owners have.

If somebody is getting into Ibanez, there's probably no better way to introduce the company and its quality via what is usually a very reasonably priced RG model. It's a good starting point and they may or may not gravitate to the thinner S, the more specific JS or Jem, or go a different way altogether and get an Iceman, Artcore, or Artist. But you could never lose with a superstrat design from most makers and Ibanez has made their biggest contribution to music with the RG.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 06:57 PM

Reviews: 25

Seriously the S series or the RG series in the same quality variant is pretty much the same in quality and play ability. So just choose the style you like the look of... Saying the S series is better then the RG series or vice verse is a useless statement...

But the RG is definitely winning the popularity race out of the 2
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandnor View Post
Honestly, the S series is the best guitar in the world. RG has the cool pointy look but if you look at practical playability, comfort, weight and features, nothing beats the S. That is the truth, but because of the influence of Vai it has been overlooked
What do you think about the old 540? I found an old purple 540 today for around 400 USD and I was wondering what you think about it? It has the IBZ USA F1/F2 humbuckers.

Tags
ibanez

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode