Best neck wood? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Best neck wood?

Which wood is the best for necks? What's the difference between a RG470 and an RG470DX? Do any RG570s come with sharktooth inlays? Also, is it possible to add a pickguard to 570s or 760s?

Last edited by Brines; 07-23-2005 at 09:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 02:59 PM

Re: Best neck wood?

For the neck, maple or mahogany. For the fretboard it really depends on the guitar!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 04:22 PM

Reviews: 6

i think neck wood is based on taste and what kind of tone/feel you want. A friend of mine has a strat with a solid rosewood neck that thing rips!!!
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Would it be best to buy a 270DX for 200 bucks and replace the pups or to spend 350 on an RG760? Is the Wizard II that much thinner than the Wizard?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 06:49 PM

the wizard II is thicker then the wizard not thinner
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 07:06 PM

yes the wizard 2 is noticably thicker, than the original wizard.

if you want a hell of a lot better quality i would go with a used 570 or up . The 760 would be way better quality, just make sure you know the fret condition, and that the neck doesn't have any cracks.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemwielder
i think neck wood is based on taste and what kind of tone/feel you want. A friend of mine has a strat with a solid rosewood neck that thing rips!!!
I haven't played a guitar with a solid rosewood neck, but I would like to try that out!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 07:16 AM

Try this one: RBM2NT
http://www.jemsite.com/dl/ibzcat/rbm_91.jpg
Bolivian Rosewood neck ("ironwood")

I'll stick with this:
Flamed Maple & Bubinga skunk stripe, ebony fretboard:
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltwin
Try this one: RBM2NT
http://www.jemsite.com/dl/ibzcat/rbm_91.jpg
Bolivian Rosewood neck ("ironwood")

I'll stick with this:
Flamed Maple & Bubinga skunk stripe, ebony fretboard:
Where does that come from?! It looks gorgeous....
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 10:37 AM
RCB

Well, I have guitars with all kind of necks (pau ferro with purple heart stripes, bocote with cocobolo stripes, katalox with maple stripes, bird eye maple with walnut stripes, 3 piece maple, one piece maple, etc, etc). All I can tell you is that the shape of the neck and the kind of finish you have on it are the thing that will determine how comfortable you feel with it. The woods and typ of construction you use will have more of an effect on things like sustain and the reliability/durability of the neck.

So far this is my favourtite neck:

http://photobucket.com/albums/v493/R...RBMcustom5.jpg

Its a katalox/maple/katalox/maple neck with a figured cocobolo headstock. The neck is sanded for a raw feel but the headstock was left with a polished finish.

These 2 necks are the closest contenders:

http://photobucket.com/albums/v493/R...current=S2.jpg

The one with bird eye maple with 2 striples of walnut

An finally the pau ferro with the striples of purple heart (although this neck is a little thicker than the others):

http://photobucket.com/albums/v493/R...rent=pgm30.jpg

Last edited by RCB; 07-25-2005 at 01:23 PM.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 11:11 AM

Reviews: 6

RCB, i'm assuming none of those are stock ibanez guitars? Either way they're amazing
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 12:01 PM

I like maple necks with maple fretboards but all my 7-strings have rosewood which I like also. I do have a strat with a maple neck though and I love it.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 01:21 PM
RCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemwielder
RCB, i'm assuming none of those are stock ibanez guitars? Either way they're amazing
You are right. They were custom made. But I wanted to show other options rather than maple or mahogany wich are the most classic alternatives.

Thanks for your comments anyway!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brines
Which wood is the best for necks? What's the difference between a RG470 and an RG470DX? Do any RG570s come with sharktooth inlays? Also, is it possible to add a pickguard to 570s or 760s?
best wood to me still maple w/ rosewood fingerboard.

RG 470 and 470 DX? I've never seen any 470 Dx in my catalogue, but I assume the DX comes with sharktooth inlay, neck binding.

RG 570 once comes with sharktooth, the 2000-1 RG 570 EX, comes with cyber pink or blue finish.

yes, it's possible to add a pickguard, but why bother? it's better you get RG 550 rather than modify your 570.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zEr0
Where does that come from?! It looks gorgeous....
thnx ZErO, it's on my Jem90HAM.

@RCB I agree that the finish and shape are major factor in determining the feel of a neck, but don't rule out the woods. First of all the fretboard wood, but in case you have a thin finish an oil finish or even no finish on the back of the neck, that wood is also going to make big difference. As you mention yourself, sanding the neck is an option.

I must add they look great, did you specify those woods when you went for a custom, or did the luthier recommend them? Were they picked for sound, looks or durability?

Tags
ebony board , ebony boards , ebony fretboard , fingerboard wood , flamed maple , fretboard wood , gibson les paul , ibanez guitars , les paul , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , maple necks , neck binding , neck shape , rosewood fingerboard , rosewood neck , sharktooth inlay , sharktooth inlays , sounding guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode