Best NGD ever: Custom Shop Parker Maxxfly 7! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Best NGD ever: Custom Shop Parker Maxxfly 7!

I ordered this custom shop parker maxxfly 7 string off Nick who owns the Axe Palace in Boston, killer guy to buy from and everything went smoothly. The guitar even finished the same month he told me it would finish, which is amazing because I have owned tons of custom guitars, but none have ever arrived on time. The setup done by his tech was great too and exactly what I asked for, which was surprising given it went from the freezing cold east cold to the westcoast. Nick responded to me during the Christmas holidays from his phone which was really cool. I also talked to him a TON on over facebook (1000+ messages in our FB chat history i think), and he was always very patient. The only thing I have against him is the damage to my wallet!

This year I have gone through a ton of guitars. To put things into context; I've had Suhrs, Carvins, Daemoness, Oakland Axe Factory, Caparison, ViK, multiple jcustoms, a few EBMMs, Decibel, a few Mayones, BlacKat, Blackmachine, etc.... I have basically tried everything there is to try. So its not like I've never owned a decent guitar and I'm just some newbie on an NGD high.

Anyways, this guitar is easily my favorite out of everything I have owned, especially at the price point. Its not the "best" per say, but the only guitars I've had that were both five figures so obviously not a fair comparison.

The reason its my favorite though, is because its a KILLER jack of all trades.

Want unbeatable clean tones? The cleans are unbelievably good thanks to the graphtech piezo and coil split.

Mid-gain tones sound killer as well, blending in the piezo leads to some very cool tones.

However, I spend most of my time playing death metal so high gain is what I was most worried about when I bought this. I am not usually a big fan of Seymour Duncan and their pickups, but the Distortions in this sound perfect. They aren't overly hot (i usually use mid output pickups for high gain), have just enough bite, etc. Originally I planned on having Bare Knuckle Pickups rewind them, but honestly, I'm too happy with them as they as to do that. The guitar has the same clarity as my ViK and Blackmachine. Its like you can keep piling on the gain but everything stays clear. Also, the higher frets sustain and respond like like the lower ones do, which is always a good sign of quality.

You might be reading this and thinking that the thin body makes the guitar sound thin but you'd be dead wrong. The neck and body are wrapped in carbon fiber, which gives you awesome sustain. The neck and body are both mahogany, which I was worried might sound too thick and/or muddy, especially being tuned to drop A (AEADGBE) but it reminds me more of my swamp ash bodied guitars with maple necks tonally.

Playability wise, the carbon glass fretboard combined with the stainless frets make for a unique feel that you can't really get from a normal guitar. Vibrato and bending is far easier on this. The flatter radius and tighter string spacing makes this far comfier than my Parker DF824 IMO.

The neck joint, or lack thereof, is ridiculous. Unbeatable access to the higher frets. The overall contours really make this guitar feel like you're playing something out of the future. It weighs next to nothing, yet sounds monstrous!

The trem system is quite neat. It is non-locking but very stable. You can change it from hardtail, to dive only or to full floating (what i have it in now). This is great for recording, and string changes!

Its very very likely that I will be placing an order through the Axe Palace for another Parker Maxxfly 7 string with a koa top or flamed maple top.

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Anyways, here are some horrible washed out looking cellphone pictures, Ill take more when it stops raining here in vancouver:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 09:31 PM

Re: Best NGD ever: Custom Shop Parker Maxxfly 7!

How much you selling it for?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

No way I'm selling this. Parkers have **** resale anyways, I'd probably lose like $3000 on it lol
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS RG View Post
srsly though.. rad axe daaaaayum!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 01:32 AM

Nice guitar.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 03:46 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Was just going to post that LMAO

Seriously though, Parkers are amazing guitars if you're into something non-traditional and they're also incredibly underrated. I think their appearance and the fact that they're not really made of the things that most guitars are, puts off a lot of people.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 09:42 AM

Hey Stealth, what do you think of the mass production model Parkers? They are relatively cheap over here and Ishibashi is the authorized Japanese dealer so I'm gonna try a couple out tomorrow but I wanted your impressions
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post

Seriously though, Parkers are amazing guitars if you're into something non-traditional and they're also incredibly underrated. I think their appearance and the fact that they're not really made of the things that most guitars are, puts off a lot of people.
I think so too. The classic fly shape is kind of ugly and I hate how the horn jabs into you. This corrects that issue so its all good with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Hey Stealth, what do you think of the mass production model Parkers? They are relatively cheap over here and Ishibashi is the authorized Japanese dealer so I'm gonna try a couple out tomorrow but I wanted your impressions
They are solid. Definitely buy used though. A used parker fly deluxe goes for 1000-1200 USD. Very good quality wise and comes with tons of sick features.

You can find the Fly Mojos which retail for like $4000 for about 1500ish used too i think!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 10:12 AM

What about the lower end pdf and pdf radials?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

I dont think they are worth buying as they don't have the same features that make a parker a parker. Makes much more sense (imo at least!) to save up a bit of cash.

You might not like the 6 strings because the string spacing is usually wider on them than ibanez and the radius rounder.

My 7 feels a lot better than my six did because of a flatter radius + tighter string spacing.

Its a small thing, it might not bug you though.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
I dont think they are worth buying as they don't have the same features that make a parker a parker. Makes much more sense (imo at least!) to save up a bit of cash.

You might not like the 6 strings because the string spacing is usually wider on them than ibanez and the radius rounder.

My 7 feels a lot better than my six did because of a flatter radius + tighter string spacing.

Its a small thing, it might not bug you though.
Well the only option I have is the lower end ones right now so I'm going to try one out anyway. I didnt see any maxxflys or the ones you recommended at the Nagoya Ishibashi
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
No way I'm selling this. Parkers have **** resale anyways, I'd probably lose like $3000 on it lol
hehe

This is true. Parkers seem to be a niche item. Either you love them, or hate them. I think they're great. I like the extra spacing on the 6 strings. The light weight and contours are excellent. Just a great no nonsense piece.

Interesting color. I want red sparkle.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post

I'm not put off by that at all. If it has strings and you still actually have to play it, it's still a guitar.

I think the parker fly shape and headstock is the most modern and cool thing out there in a long time. Almost has a caricature type quality to it.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 09:25 PM

Are you considering trades?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Well the only option I have is the lower end ones right now so I'm going to try one out anyway. I didnt see any maxxflys or the ones you recommended at the Nagoya Ishibashi
Give one a go for sure. No harm done in trying one. I think you might prefer your 550 (i think you had one right?) to the lower end parkers though.

You could also possibly look @ picking up a NiteFly model. Some were USA made with SS frets, and go used for like 600-800?

I know you're in Japan but even after adding the 20-25% cost increase for overseas deals I think you'd still be good to go.

If you do end up liking the PDF models, definitely try one of the high end ones first to see if you'd rather just save up and wait.

Quote:
hehe

This is true. Parkers seem to be a niche item. Either you love them, or hate them. I think they're great. I like the extra spacing on the 6 strings. The light weight and contours are excellent. Just a great no nonsense piece.

Interesting color. I want red sparkle.
Yeah I agree. The small feeling neck is love/hate as well as the aesthetics. I feel like im playing a guitar from 2030 everytime I plug it in haha.

I think those sixes have the same spacing as ToMs.

Quote:
I'm not put off by that at all. If it has strings and you still actually have to play it, it's still a guitar.

I think the parker fly shape and headstock is the most modern and cool thing out there in a long time. Almost has a caricature type quality to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
Are you considering trades?
First borns are cool

Tags
ugliest guitar ever

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode