Best place for a cheap 2nd hand RG ? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

Best place for a cheap 2nd hand RG ?

I recently joined a band (just beginners really) and the other guitar player is struggling a bit with his guitar, a yamaha pacifica (he spends more time tuning it than playing). I suggested looking for a cheap 2nd hand RG (not really bothered about condition as long as its playable), just to get him off to a good start so hes playing a decent quality axe.

He doesnt have much cash as his ex wife is currently taking all his cash.

Can anyone suggest where to look for a decent cheap RG ? Any will do (as long its got a locking trem!) would I be able to get one for £100, or would I need more ? I am UK based.

Ps ive tried the bay, pretty useless to be honest. Ive also looked around on the for sale page of our magnificent site.

thanks in advance

Last edited by KeithH; 09-07-2007 at 04:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 05:13 AM

Reviews: 10
Re: Best place for a cheap 2nd hand RG ?

RG350's can pick up for around £280 online, RG370's about £220 for brand new. so in theory for a 2nd hand one could pick one up around £100, cant imagine UK music shops giving you much of a deal, plus probably spend a life time looking. Best bet is keeping an eye on eeeshbay I think.

good luck
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 05:36 AM

An RG at that end of the market isn't going to be much of an improvement. In fact in that price range I don't think you can beat Pacificas. I suggest he spends his cash getting the pacifica fixed - it is probably only a poorly set up trem, strings sticking at the nut, or he's putting the strings on badly - unless of course he is giving the trem some serious abuse!
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 05:44 AM

I've got to double what Algiman said. The Pacifica's put low-end Ibanez to shame every time.

If he REALLY doesn't like the Pacifica sell it for £50-60 in your local paper, put it with the £100 and then save a further £50 and pick up a used Jackson DK2 which are EXCELLENT guitars for the money. Made in Japan too!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 09:10 AM

Ditto to all that.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 11:33 AM
Dee

I agree. I've played quite a lot of Pacifica's and once they were set up properly they worked very well. I have also sold a few as a music store salesman, I always recommended them because they are some of the best budget guitars around. Like Algi said, the best idea is probably if he sticks with it, just take it to a decent setup guy. If this is not possible, then he should get learning about setting his own guitar up. There's so much useful info around, it's easy to learn. Make sure he's stretching his strings properly, btw.

I think a minimum of around £300 is realistic for a decent used Ibanez such as an RG550. You'll find them all the time on e-Bay.

Tags
music store , yamaha pacifica

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode