Best starter 7-string - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Question Best starter 7-string

Ive been dying for a seven string for a while..im not sure wether to get the universe 7-string or a carparison or other reputal brand.

Any idea's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 01:47 PM

Re: Best starter 7-string

well the universe seems like a lot of money for your first 7. just incase you didnt like the feel or the use of a 7. however down the ibanez route theres loads which would be great RG7321 (fixed bridge, 24 fret(, s7320(trem, 22 fret) or Rg1527( trem, 24 fret). there are still loads of other good entry level 7's schechter, esp and dean are still good choices, but imho Ibanez are the master of 7's
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 02:05 PM

7321's definitely a good starter.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 02:06 PM

When you say 'Starter' 7 string that leads me to think you mean cheap.

So any of the Ibanez 7321/7621 (fixed bridge) guitars would be good, or the R1527 (lo-pro/edge pro). Schecter also do some good cheap 7 strings if you like the cosmetics.

A 7321 sounds like a good choice, there's a few on **** atm including some made in Japan ones.

I'm hopefully buying a 7 soon, going to go for a Carvin as it seems like the best choice in terms of value for money.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordhauser View Post
7321's definitely a good starter.
definetly! i have one with dimarzios (tone zone 7) - tha'ts a good starter.
wish i don't have to sell it but i'm running out of space
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 02:16 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Best starter 7-string

If you can find it, not made anymore, the Peavey Predator 7 string should be a steal on the bay. I have one and it is not bad for what it is. 2 humbuckers pretty good sound...locking trem. this way if you don't gel with it it's not that big a deal...
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

by starter i mean..first 7 string not entry level but i can see where you'd get that from..
im thinking the RG1527..with trem, 2 humbuckers and 24 frets which is ultimately everything i desire my 7-string to have
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 07:25 PM

I love my 1527 to death. It was my first 7 string and there's no way I'll get (or need) another one, unless someone handed me a Universe or K7 for free. In fact, I think I'll go play some Unearth right now.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 05:06 AM

I recently bought an S7320.
I really like it. It's cheaper than the RGs, it's mahogany, which I think gives a warmer and fatter tone than the basswood on most RG 7-strings, and the ZR tremolo is just amazing (a lot easier to tune than a regular floating bridge because of the zero point system). The stock pickups are pretty good aswell, in my opinion. They are quite hot, and have a tight sound with plenty of harmonics. With the 5-way switch you also get some nice Strat-ish twangy funky sounds.
The Wizard II neck plays like a dream, and you get tons of sustain and an incredibly fat tone from it... Must be the super-big neck on it.
I'm also impressed with the build quality. It's actually better than my 1995 MIJ RG570CT was... that one had a pretty oversized neckpocket. This one is nice and tight.
So that's definitely my recommendation.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

scali, i to also drool over the s-series, its what led me to purchase the js1000
i love this S7320 because the s-series offers everything and is it really made of mahogany?
wow ill have to check it out

To lonewolf, youve got a nice one there, chris broderick uses them, its like his main guitar i assume
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 08:30 AM

Yea, it's made of mahogany. It's quite a heavy guitar, despite the small body. No maple top though, just mahogany. And considering the price and the fact that it's made in Korea, it's probably a cheap variation of mahogany. But you should try one, it really sounds good in my opinion. Especially considering the price.
I've always been a Les Paul man, and the sound is quite similar. Very loud and fat, dark but bright enough to not be dull. It has a snappier attack than a Les Paul though.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by millzy View Post
Ive been dying for a seven string for a while..im not sure wether to get the universe 7-string or a carparison or other reputal brand.

Any idea's?
If you can afford it (which from the brands you mention I'll assume you can, I don't think you can go wrong with a universe, it is after all the archetypal 7-string. There are some great used bargains on the UV777 these days. It also has the definitive 7-string sound, being the father of the electric 7-string craze.

The K7 is a mahogany bodied version which despite some cosmetic "issues" (see what I did there ) is a fantastic sounding guitar.

I also like the Caparison guitars but I've not tried their 7 strings, their 6 string guitars are great though, I just prefer the trem on the Universe.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

the universe is the 'dad' of 7 strings, and ibanez are pretty much the creators..so you probably cant go wrong with them
the S7320 and the carparision 7 string is actually got everything
idealy this is what im looking for, neck-thru body, 2 humbuckers, trem, 24 frets and ibanez and caparision are fitting nicely..i still needa check out carvin though
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 05:08 PM

I personally love the UVs and the Carvin 727, but the 7620 and 1527 are great guitars as well.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 05:57 PM

if you really need a neck-through, then Carvin is the way to go!
I got a 1527 and I absolutely love it.
BTW there's a Xyphos 7 string coming out this year. It'll be neck-through and if you like the shape, it seems really cool!

check it: http://www.thomann.de/gr/ibanez_xpt707fx_gcm.htm

Tags
body shape , caparison guitars , chris broderick , fat tone , fixed bridge , les paul , prestige necks , sounding guitar , string guitars , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode