Best way to find specific discontinued model used? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Best way to find specific discontinued model used?

Hi, just looking for some advice.

Anyone know the best way to seek out a specific model, now discontinued? I've been trawling through ebay, gumtree (British craigslist), facebook groups, and finding nothing. Is this the only method available to me, continually searching until one day it may pop up?

There's a couple similar models to the one I want, but all not quite right (RG655 has a single coil and a pickguard which'd leave holes in the finish if I took it off, RG652FX has a fixed bridge). Would it be easier to mod these to my liking?

I searched to see if my ideal guitar existed, and it does! RG2620Z released in 2009. Looking at this, it's exactly what I want from a guitar. Except I can't find one of course because it's 2009.

Any tips, or will I have to just keep looking manually everywhere? Thanks very much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 10:03 AM

Re: Best way to find specific discontinued model used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmyrn View Post
Hi, just looking for some advice.

Anyone know the best way to seek out a specific model, now discontinued? I've been trawling through ebay, gumtree (British craigslist), facebook groups, and finding nothing. Is this the only method available to me, continually searching until one day it may pop up?

There's a couple similar models to the one I want, but all not quite right (RG655 has a single coil and a pickguard which'd leave holes in the finish if I took it off, RG652FX has a fixed bridge). Would it be easier to mod these to my liking?

I searched to see if my ideal guitar existed, and it does! RG2620Z released in 2009. Looking at this, it's exactly what I want from a guitar. Except I can't find one of course because it's 2009.

Any tips, or will I have to just keep looking manually everywhere? Thanks very much!
Ask and ye shall receive. Serendipitously for you, I just happened to see this yesterday. I've ordered from Ishibashi before. Easy, fast shipping, no problems.

http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/e/s...d=80-315146211
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot, but it's not quite what I'm looking for. That one is just black, not galaxy black, has binding, and EMG's. Close though!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

That website is very good though, exactly what I'm looking for. Lets me see guitars other than the UK! They even have an RG2670Z which is basically the specs I want but with a middle pickup, which isn't a dealbreaker. Thankyou!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
That website is very good though, exactly what I'm looking for. Lets me see guitars other than the UK! They even have an RG2670Z which is basically the specs I want but with a middle pickup, which isn't a dealbreaker. Thankyou!

You can also try the used sites for the big music retailers here in the states, Guitar Center and Sam Ash, and there's also of course Reverb.com. Good luck on your search!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Thanks a lot, but it's not quite what I'm looking for. That one is just black, not galaxy black, has binding, and EMG's. Close though!
2620ZEs are not easy to find and they ALL have EMGs. Simple pickup change will fix everything.

As for galaxy black, I can tell you from seeing 2550s in Galaxy black that they aren't that good looking. I had a 2550, but I got galaxy white because the black one just didnt look right. I'd say get the black one and repaint it however you want, if you want to make it a small project.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

I know, I was looking for a 2620Z not a 2620ZE - which is what DaylightDies posted a link to. The non E version has Dimarzios, and other differences. If it was just the pickups that were different I'd get one and change them.

I don't think the same about the colour. Local shops near me have RG550's, RG665's, RG652's etc. in galaxy black and I'm a big fan of it. All my guitars have fancy finishes, walnut top, viral silver, flame maple, and I just want a black one finally. Not just plain black though, and the galaxy fits the bill perfectly for me.

Tags
2620z , advice , discontinued

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode