Which is a better fretboard? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Which is a better fretboard?

I have a chance at a couple of S540 guitars. Is a maple fretboard better/ more desirable than a rosewood with shark teeth inlays? And, while we're at it, what's the concensus on having the metal plate behind the neck (pre '93) or an AANJ (post '92)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 06:25 PM

Re: Which is a better fretboard?

Technically, maple is more 'desired' since its not as common and rosewood is seen as a cheaper wood by some people. In practice though, I very much like rosewood fingerboards and its a purely preference thing. If you like a very snappy attack, go maple. If you want a more soft, singing feel to your sound, go for rosewood.

As for the plats and so on, the AANJ does what it says on the tin, its better for upper fret access. The block heel style guitars are older and again, more desire for that reason, but in practicality its weighing up two things again. The block heels are REPORTED to have more tone and sustain than an AANJ of similar quality, but the AANJs are much easier to play for obvious reasons.

I should note however, that the improvements of the block heel tonally are just as dependent on the construction of that particular guitar as they are on the design. While Ibanez from that period are great, the design is no guarantee of tone. There are awesomely well built AANJ necks that sustain forever, and there are plenty of block heel guitars made by lots of manufactueres, that sustain like a quick shag and are about as satisfying.

However either guitar from those years should be fantastic for its own reasons. I would say weigh up which fretboard sound apeals to you most, then decide whether you REALLY REALLY want that block heel tone or whether you want the upper fret access, bearing in mind that the neck joints might actually sound exactly the same due to different builds.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 06:24 PM

no, it's not more desired or better, but it is rarer (i'm guessing because the demand for rosewood is higher than the demand for maple). they do sound quite a bit different, so play before you pay.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 10:16 PM
2TS

Arrow Re: Which is a better fretboard?

i think you can't see easily the dirt from your finger on a rosewood neck which is nice if your not a cleaner maniac... i think the maple neck have some kind of resin or clear paint on it... i don't think it's very nice... i really prefer bare wood for the fingerboard (don't like too much paint on the back either)...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 10:17 PM
2TS

Smile Re: Which is a better fretboard?

Last edited by 2TS; 08-22-2008 at 04:22 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 04:11 AM

Reviews: 65

From feel and sound, for me Rosewood all the way, I hate the twitchy twang of maple boards and ebony is to dry.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 04:51 AM

I have both and love both..it just depends on what you want...in my opinion, the maple board gives me more bluesy deeper tones, and the rosewood gives me more of a bright tone..good for heavier music and so..
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. The guitars are 1000 miles away from me, so playing them isn't an option. I've pretty much passed on them 'cause I am bit of a perfectionist in my toys. Plus, I like the look of the Sharktooth better, and neither are a bargain. But thanks again. I guess I'm on the lookout for shark's teeth
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 12:04 AM
2TS

Talking Re: Which is a better fretboard?

be carefull if you hit the sharp part those teeth can open bad injuries and bleed all over the place ahuahauha

Tags
fret access , maple fret , maple fretboard , s540 , upper fret

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode