Big Love for the RT series - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Smile Big Love for the RT series

Being a long term Ibanez fan and having a fair few.....

I recently found a couple of beaten up RT's on the bay.

Now I'm a huge fan of Andy Timmons and was after something that was similar.

I gotta say I just love these guitars. I stripped them both and restained/ relacquered. I added a Breed and a PAF pro to the RT450 and an Evolution with S1's (that I had lying around) to the RT240.

I also changed the saddles to something a little more robust. The RT240's neck had to be totally restripped but the RT450's just needed a good clean and fret dress. I actually decided to swap the necks. One is laquered the other sealed and oiled.

I'm loving these guitars. They play like a dream and sound great. The neck is very similar to the JS (I have two of those too lol!) yet feels a touch faster for some reason. The trem is great too. I'm usually a Edge man but lovin the more subtle approach I'm forced to do with these instruments.

Anyhows, I thought you might like to see them..... and spread the word to hunt down these top guitars that where only made for 3 years. I only paid £300 for the two. Not a bad find.

Here are the pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3892264589

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3892264363

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3892263973

All the best

SiGGy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 05:53 PM
SYL

Thumbs up Re: Big Love for the RT series

Great Work Siggy!

they look very cool!

(try the graphtech bridge for your midi one)

I've been on the hunt for them as well - but no luck as yet. Getting ET to make me one ( he calls it Tobacco Road - beautiful rustic sunburst - check his site) but he is majorly backed up.

keep us posted on progress
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 12:41 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: Big Love for the RT series

Nice score! I managed to pick up a 450 locally for $120 CDN. The original pickguard was swapped to a white one, but I plan to make the eventual switch back. Love that Viper profile!
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 03:47 PM

COOL x 2. Nice axes mate. Andy is a great player as well, one of my faves!!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 04:00 PM

i want one of these in a bad way.... i love the viper neck.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 02:19 PM

ah, i love these guitars. especially those blonde ones. i actually have 3 in blonde, 2 in black and 3 in tobacco burst. and you are right on about them feeling like the js neck profile. it's very similar (i have a few js's too). i don't think i payed more than $250 for any one of them. the 650 is supposed to be the same except for a fancier faux maple top and a bound neck, but that neck definitely feels different than the 450 and 150 necks. and for some reason the fretboard radius feels quite a bit different on those too, much flatter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy View Post
Anyhows, I thought you might like to see them..... and spread the word to hunt down these top guitars that where only made for 3 years. I only paid £300 for the two. Not a bad find.
shhhh...don't let the cat out of the bag. the rt's are like the best kept aftermarket ibanez secret, lol.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 06:02 PM

heres a pic of my rt240 , with a custom pearl scratch plate and stripped down to a single hum (which is now a bill larwence).

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 06:22 PM

oh man!!!
RTs!!!
I love them!!! (uhmmm... I think that I love all Ibanez guitars )

here's mine:

I made a new pickguard for her. now its more nice (for me, of course) and something like more 'vintage strat'

cheers.

dani.

Tags
rt240 and rt450

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode