Big question: USRG 30 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

Big question: USRG 30

Hi all,
I "know" a nice USRG30 in orange that's flirting with me (hahaha) and i have a question regardig all the series:
I know that these guitars had two types of serial:
Sticker Serial
Engraved Serial

Differences between the two? Anything specific? Or they just had two types of serials for no reason?

I own a UCEW1FM ad the USRG30 will be a nice add to stop my USA Custom GAS.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 02:24 AM

Re: Big question: USRG 30

Are you sure?

All USRGs I know do have the sticker.

The ser.-no. starts with US, followed by 7 Numbers, from which the first two dates the month and the next two the year of being made.

The engraved ser.-no. are -afaik- only at the rare birdseye-maple-necks in the UCGR, UCMD and UCEW - series. And on the endorser-guits of this time.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

No, I'm sure, I've seen them.
I've actually saw more engraved serial USRG than sticker serial.
A member (thank you Shreddyknight!) told me that the engraved serial USRG were meant to go to endorsers, and they usually have an "S" mark, that means "Second" or B-Stock.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 07:30 AM

Early UCEW's (1990-91) have the same Fujigen necks that you'd see on any other guitar. I can't speak for the bodies but I'd have to guess that they were MIJ as well.

1992 UCEW's would have embossed 92XXX serials as well as MADE IN U.S.A. on the headstock. Not sure who actually made these guitars but they look LACS to me. A number of pictures on this page:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f16/us...-130784-2.html

There's even one with a 930003 serial, which I assume means it was a late 1992 order date.

USRG (1994-96) were made by Bunker Guitars. Those have sticker serials.

Unless you just have to have it, I'd pass on the USRG30. They just aren't that great of guitars. My first Ibanez was a USRG30BT, probably the orange you're talking about. Neck was absolute garbage on that thing, factory fretwork was a joke, wood top was probably not true AAA grade. I'd shoot for a 1992 UCEW personally.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Unless you just have to have it, I'd pass on the USRG30. They just aren't that great of guitars. My first Ibanez was a USRG30BT, probably the orange you're talking about. Neck was absolute garbage on that thing, factory fretwork was a joke, wood top was probably not true AAA grade. I'd shoot for a 1992 UCEW personally.
Well, I've seen USRG30 with the engraved serial, and I know the first run of UCEW had the FujiGen serial (I have one from '90).
I know the top on the USRGs is not a real top, I mean, UCEW's is a REAL top.
I always knew USRGs as great guitars, and PBC made/make incredible guitars.
I've never heard someone complaining about them, but since you wrote that, it makes me think....
Maybe that' the trick? The ones meant to be delivered to endorsers were the **** while the stricker ones are only ****? (Little joke; yeah, I'm not funny).
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 12:45 PM

I agree with takinŽa ride. We discussed it in Germany too, that not every USRG is perfect. Oli sold one, because the sound was not good, I played another one with quality problems and didn`t buy it. But sure there do exist other very good USRGs.
My USRG10 for example is a good sounding guitar with a good quality.
I heared, that Ibanez stopped the PBC-Production because of quality problems.

After all I would never refuse buying a USRG. But only after having seen and played it before.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Ah, that's interesting.
I always knew that the production stopped because of price problems, not quality problems.
Sadly I can't try the one I'm looking at 'cause is very far away from where I live......I'll think about the purchase a couple of more days.

Thanks for all the information guys!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 02:51 PM

In the early 90's, the value of the dollar got very strong compared with the yen. This drove the prices of everything MIJ through the roof. This includes things like cars and is the reason for the end of the RX-7, 300ZX, Supra and other Japanese sports cars in the US.

Production on the USRG went to Bunker because it was way cheaper to use a US manufacturer than try to import from Japan. There is a story that one of the executives from Hoshino finally got his hands on a Bunker-built USRG in 1996 and was so disgusted that they pulled the plug on the whole thing.

I bought my guitar brand new in 1997 for $500. Someone had paid the deposit on the guitar but when it came in, it was so bad that they refused delivery. So the guitar sat for over a year. It was basically unplayable when I got it. I had the guitar set up professionally twice and it would be playable sort of for about a month, then it would be horrible. It wasn't until I had major fret work done on the guitar that it was anything even approaching playable. But even then, it needed almost constant neck adjustment. I have never seen another guitar in my life where the neck was affected so much my temperature and humidity changes.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Production on the USRG went to Bunker because it was way cheaper to use a US manufacturer than try to import from Japan. There is a story that one of the executives from Hoshino finally got his hands on a Bunker-built USRG in 1996 and was so disgusted that they pulled the plug on the whole thing.
WOW, I had no idea. PBC always said good thing about the quality Ibanez used to put in their products, so I had no idea about that stuff.

Quote:
I bought my guitar brand new in 1997 for $500. Someone had paid the deposit on the guitar but when it came in, it was so bad that they refused delivery. So the guitar sat for over a year. It was basically unplayable when I got it. I had the guitar set up professionally twice and it would be playable sort of for about a month, then it would be horrible. It wasn't until I had major fret work done on the guitar that it was anything even approaching playable. But even then, it needed almost constant neck adjustment. I have never seen another guitar in my life where the neck was affected so much my temperature and humidity changes.
500$?
That's a super price, but since you had all this problem, kinda wasn't
I've never heard bad things about the USRG till now; why nobody ever said anything?
I know a couple of guys that own a USRG30, and they never had problems.
They use them so they have the real ****.
That all thing is really pulling me away from buying one.....I've seen pics of the one I want, and the neck, the frets and everything is just impeccable, BUT....
I was looking at them particularly for the TFN, and being a big metal rod, should not make the neck move at all, but as you said, in the one you bought was not the case.
Anybody that's reading the thread that owns a USRG want to say something?
That's really becoming interesting.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 05:26 PM

Although our results are similar : There were certainly also good and very good USRGs made, otherwise they hadn`t produced these guitars for 3 years. At least my USRG10 shows no defects and sounds really good.
My worst sounding Ibanez guitar I 've ever had, incidentally, was a Steve Lukather Roadstar 1010 and that was the top-of-the-line-modell of it`s time, too

Tags
usa custom , usrg , usrg30

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode